Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…
 
User avatar
mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author
Posts: 12173
Joined: 30 Sep 2006, 03:37

Improved X3 Popup. Requests?

01 May 2020, 06:02

Hi folks :clap:Next X3 release will include an improved X3 Popup.
  • Slideshow (autoplay) feature + "play" button.
  • Improved design, with some concepts taken from our new Files app.
  • Re-factored CSS and Javascript code.
It won't change massively, but I want to optimize performance, features and design of the X3 popup, which has such a fundamental role in X3. In regards to this, I wanted to ask, does anyone have any feature requests for the improved X3 popup? Thanks :star:

What do you mean "X3 Popup"?
For those wondering, I am referring to the large images that pop up on screen when you click images in a gallery. Go here, click an image, and see for yourself.
 
User avatar
voyezvousca
Experienced
Posts: 83
Joined: 27 Mar 2011, 11:21

Re: Improved X3 Popup. Requests?

03 May 2020, 05:23

Hi,

I think the look and feature of the new file app popup is a good idea, especially the information in bottom :)
Great news for me ! :)
My website using x3 : https://bit.ly/2EMEmNq
« La photographie est une brève complicité entre la prévoyance et le hasard. »
 
metallissimus
Experienced
Posts: 53
Joined: 17 Oct 2019, 06:54

Re: Improved X3 Popup. Requests?

12 May 2020, 11:25

Not an extra feature, but I hope the "new stuff" (i.e. everything the Files app has that's not yet in the X3 popup) is going to be optional/customizable via the popup settings. I assume that's the plan anyways, just want to bring it up.
 
User avatar
mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author
Posts: 12173
Joined: 30 Sep 2006, 03:37

Re: Improved X3 Popup. Requests?

13 May 2020, 00:43

metallissimus wrote:Not an extra feature, but I hope the "new stuff" (i.e. everything the Files app has that's not yet in the X3 popup) is going to be optional/customizable via the popup settings. I assume that's the plan anyways, just want to bring it up.
Just to be clear, I am mainly referring to the following:
  • Sharper icons.
  • Improved gradient-based topbar background.
  • Comfortable, less invasive transitions.
  • Slideshow mechanism w/play button.
  • Larger available width area for caption, with smart self-alignment.
  • Maybe some concepts from the design and layout of EXIF/IPTC.
  • Maybe captions display with transitions.
  • Maybe fullscreen button is global, so that the website does not exit fullscreen on exit popup.
It won't have the dropdown buttons, and the layout of the inner caption will largely remain the same as existing X3, including fonts inherited from your X3 style. Was there anything else you were referring to? I would be curious to know if/why anyone would not want the improvements listed above.
 
metallissimus
Experienced
Posts: 53
Joined: 17 Oct 2019, 06:54

Re: Improved X3 Popup. Requests?

13 May 2020, 10:48

Thanks for clarifying. From the features you mention it's mainly the EXIF/IPTC part I would want to be able to hide. And the dropdown buttons, but of course that's obsolete now you say they won't be there anyways.
I'm curious about the zoom button. I guess I can affect its effect by restricting the size of the images I upload, i.e. small images won't be zoomable. But how will it work if an image is already smaller than the viewport? Will it still be there and do nothing or will adapt to image size and simply disappear? And what if I want to have big images for high resolution screens, but don't want people to be able to zoom in on details on smaller screens with lower pixel density?
 
User avatar
mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author
Posts: 12173
Joined: 30 Sep 2006, 03:37

Re: Improved X3 Popup. Requests?

14 May 2020, 00:16

metallissimus wrote:From the features you mention it's mainly the EXIF/IPTC part I would want to be able to hide.
This won't change, although I might modify the design slightly.
metallissimus wrote:I'm curious about the zoom button. I guess I can affect its effect by restricting the size of the images I upload, i.e. small images won't be zoomable. But how will it work if an image is already smaller than the viewport? Will it still be there and do nothing or will adapt to image size and simply disappear?
Nothing will change with the zoom button functionality. Clicking the zoom button scales the image to it's original dimensions (it's pointless to zoom beyond original dimensions). The amount of zoom will naturally depend on the screen dimensions vs image dimensions. If the screen is as larger than the image, then the zoom button disappears, as it has not function.
metallissimus wrote:And what if I want to have big images for high resolution screens, but don't want people to be able to zoom in on details on smaller screens with lower pixel density?
Why wouldn't you want users on modern smartphones to be able to zoom in the the same level of detail as is being displayed on large high-res screens? Logically, you should be serving the same original image/quality. Besides, a modern smartphone screen can be over 2000 px these days (iPhone 11 = 2436 px), so what's the point in differentiating? Furthermore, as pointed out in my recent post, your original high-quality images might be ~300 kb on average ... Surely you want mobile users to be served the same crisp high-quality image?

X3 does actually serve downsized popup images already to very small mobile screens. This is basically screens which are incapable of viewing images larger than 1280 px (un-zoomed). Most phones start from 1400 px and up. The only logical point of serving lower res images to low-res screens, would be to save bandwidth.

There could be adjustments to selective sizes served for smaller devices, but this is not technically part of the "improved popup" I am referring to in this post.
 
metallissimus
Experienced
Posts: 53
Joined: 17 Oct 2019, 06:54

Re: Improved X3 Popup. Requests?

14 May 2020, 08:05

mjau-mjau wrote: Why wouldn't you want users on modern smartphones to be able to zoom in the the same level of detail as is being displayed on large high-res screens?
Admittedly that's quite a theoretical argument, but: There's another factor besides image size and display resolution/pixel density, and that is viewing distance. When I look at a 4k 27" computer display I am probably about 80-120 cm away, my impression is mainly of the image as a whole and I won't primarily concentrate on small details. When I look at a 2k smartphone display, the distance is about 30 cm. If I can now zoom into a 4k image at native resolution, the relative size of details is much higher than in the other scenario. That's something one might not want, especially depending on the nature of the image. For a landscape image it might be different than for a portrait, where zooming in could reveal unwanted details.
 
User avatar
mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author
Posts: 12173
Joined: 30 Sep 2006, 03:37

Re: Improved X3 Popup. Requests?

14 May 2020, 10:19

I agree with you about screen differences and viewing distance. It's all relative. The most important goal (by any definition), is to load an image into popup that satisfies the screen resolution. With mobile devices reaching resolutions that match desktop screens, there is no reason images should be loaded smaller on high-res mobile devices. Yes the screens are smaller, pixel density is higher, and that becomes beneficial because the viewing distance is closer. It's a balance serving an image with optimal dimensions and quality, that looks good/great on all screens, and is at an acceptable file size. Also, as noted in previous post, X3 already server downsized image for low-res mobile devices, because it's unproductive to serve images that are way beyond the screen capabilities.

The zoom amount of an image just comes as a side-effect of how much larger the image is than the screen resolution. The amount you want an image to zoom should not dictate the size of the image loaded into the popup. The best image to load is one that satisfies the display, without zoom, because that's how 99.99% of visitors will be viewing it. 
Obviously, you can't serve images that exactly match the screen resolution.

Also, I am not 100% sure why you are so concerned with "zoom amount" ... First of all, zoom is not used by average visitors. I never zoom in images ... what's the point? I would do that only if I was considering purchasing an image for print, and wanted to preview the quality ... But if I was doing that, I would already know it's a web-sized image, so what would be the point? Second of all, what does it matter if a mobile device can zoom in 50% (f.ex), matching original dimensions? The image is loaded to satisfy the screen, also when visitor rotates the phone, and also clicks "fullscreen". There will be some "zoom" factor obviously, but what does it hurt if one random user tries to zoom? That's the loaded image size, and if they download the image, they can do the same.

I don't quite understand your example. Assuming 4K was just an example, but will you be serving 4K images? That means you will be serving images with a lot of detail level of course, regardless of what screen they are viewed from. This size is unproductive, because 90% of screens won't be able to take any advantage of the dimensions, and file size will be excessive. Personally, I don't see why I would want to zoom into this image on mobile, but not desktop ... I might zoom in slightly on mobile, just to make the focus points of the image cover the entire screen ... Maybe 10-20%. But I don't see why I would zoom in further to see random "chunks" of the image.

Maybe you don't want clients to see low-quality JPG compression artifacts when zooming into portrait-style photos? Of course, one could for example have a setting that lowers the zoom amount on "mobile" devices. Hard to know what a "mobile" device is these days though, because you can't measure them by screen size, and not by touch detection either. I guess I'm not quite sure what you are suggesting! Thanks for all feedback.
 
metallissimus
Experienced
Posts: 53
Joined: 17 Oct 2019, 06:54

Re: Improved X3 Popup. Requests?

15 May 2020, 03:22

mjau-mjau wrote:I guess I'm not quite sure what you are suggesting!
As I said before, it's more a theoretical argument, I'm not quite sure myself if it has practical meaning to me personally. I'm sorry if I made you feel forced into an unneccessary discussion.