Search…

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

image.original_optimized

14 Aug 2008, 05:56

In release 20080814, we added a new setting
image.original_optimized

This setting, forces images to display at their full size if they fit within the Stage dimensions. This will create a clearer image with less "resizing artifacts", but it may cause overlapping of controls and missing descriptions because the minimal margin settings are overrun.

We made this setting because I know many users dislike their images being resized, and this setting addresses that issue directly with, but as a compromise solution. Speaking for myself(and viewing from my 1680x1050 screen), I often found that images are often scaled down just a little (~90%) just to fit within the margins. I found that I would prefer to the image at 100% in nice, crisp quality, although the controls then often overlap the photo.

This is an experimental setting we added that is turned OFF by default. Enable it by going to image.image.original_optimized in your theme config, and set it to enabled.

Keep in mind this setting ONLY scales sets images at their original size(100%) if they fit within the STAGE. If the original size breaks the stage, then image is instead resized to fit within margins.

Tell me what you think -

Nick
Imagevue Hitman

14 Aug 2008, 05:59

100% FTW, I would like to have only 2-3 zoom steps - shrink to screen (less than 100%), 100% and maybe zoom to screen (bigger than 100%).
firedev.com

nz-photo
Experienced

14 Aug 2008, 12:24

Hey Karl !
Thanks for the new updates.

I was just wondering... Wasn't there already something like this within the edit theme menu IMAGE, where you can chose SCALE : fitmargin, original, fitstage & croptostage ?
Is that just an automation for this setting ?
Empty your mind, be formless, be shapeless, like water...
www.nz-photo.com

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

15 Aug 2008, 00:26

I think you may have slightly misunderstood this setting, and I don't blame you with all the variations on image-sizing.

The basic image display settings as mentioned earlier, are:
Code
fitmargin, original, fitstage & croptostage
read more:
viewtopic.php?t=3384

However original_optimized doesn't really fit in with those above, but instead is a complimentary setting. It is basically a compromise related to the two settings "fitmargin" and "original". Let's look at what those two settings do:

fitmargin resizes the image down so that it always fits within the margin so that navigation and controls are easily accessible. However, if an image fits within the margin at original size, then no downsizing will occur.

original simply does not resize an image. An image displayed at original size may be a)bigger than the users screen, hence cutting away parts of the image, b)smaller than the users screen, but still overlapping margins and controls or c)smaller than the minimal margin. --- Although desirable, this is a setting that can't generally be used as default, because your visitors will be on many different screen resolutions and you need to make sure the entire image is visible at least.

So what does original_optimized do then?
With the default mode "fitmargin", the gallery checks the dimensions of the image and calculates if it has to be re-sized downwards to fit MARGINS - However, if original_optimized is enabled, it will intercept this setting, check if the the original size of the image fits the STAGE, and display at original size if so. This will lead controls/navigation options to overlap the image, but thats the compromise since margins are dismissed. If however the the original size of the image can not be displayed without breaking the stage, it will simply let fitmargin do its job and resize to fit within margins since you won't get your image at 100% anyway.

Makes more sense?

nz-photo
Experienced

15 Aug 2008, 05:25

Hmmm.. Slightly :wink:
Still looks like an automatic sttings between the 2 you mentionned above.
But that's great, I already chose it in my config :lol:

Have a nice day !
Empty your mind, be formless, be shapeless, like water...
www.nz-photo.com