Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Roggsf
Topic Author

DELETE not Deleting - Cannot Replace Photos

18 Jul 2016, 14:59

Hi,
My license is new and Ive been building a new site by uploading photos. There are a couple of bugs that I have noticed. The first being the most troublesome....

1) DELETE not deleting - Yes the photo disappears upon delete but it does not truly delete. If I want to replace a photo (one or many) I cannot. Whenever the replacement photo is uploaded the just deleted original photo reappears. I tried uploading the replacement photo with a new file name and then rename it back to the original but the original reappears. Essentially, a user cannot replace a photo.

2) Also, Every time I upload a group of photos (say 50 +/-) nearly a third of them do not upload due to "Unknown Error Occurred." When you try to upload those that did not upload the first time - likely, if there are many, that nearly a third of those do not make it. By repeated upload attempts eventually a user can get them all uploaded. That is added effort - especially if you are building your initial site - as am I.

Thanks,
roger

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: DELETE not Deleting - Cannot Replace Photos

18 Jul 2016, 23:23

Roggsf wrote:1) DELETE not deleting - Yes the photo disappears upon delete but it does not truly delete. If I want to replace a photo (one or many) I cannot. Whenever the replacement photo is uploaded the just deleted original photo reappears. I tried uploading the replacement photo with a new file name and then rename it back to the original but the original reappears. Essentially, a user cannot replace a photo.
Sorry, not sure what you mean by "not truly delete" ... Sounds like an issue you are having with CACHE. What you explain above is NOT an X3 bug. If you have panel login for me, I can login and upload then delete an image and see what happens. Is it rogerlgraham at flamepix?

Also, about "replacing" photos, the internet caches image name requests you know ... so it will likely serve an outdated file, making "file renaming" kinda useless these days (for practical reasons). Why not just delete old file, and add new file with new name?
Roggsf wrote:2) Also, Every time I upload a group of photos (say 50 +/-) nearly a third of them do not upload due to "Unknown Error Occurred." When you try to upload those that did not upload the first time - likely, if there are many, that nearly a third of those do not make it. By repeated upload attempts eventually a user can get them all uploaded. That is added effort - especially if you are building your initial site - as am I.
Are you using the "resize" option? We need to isolate the issue, as it won't be the uploader itself. This is industry-standard jquery-file-upload, but its still under scrutiny from any corruption on your connection and perhaps amount and file sizes, and corrupt images. How many and how large images are you uploading? On most servers, there is a limit of 20 files per upload (set by server), although on flamepix it is set much higher. There are still limits though.

You can see some additional diagnostics here rogerlgraham.flamepix.com/?diagnostics.

These issues are not generally "bugs".

Roggsf
Topic Author

19 Jul 2016, 12:00

Hi, Thanks for taking an interest in my issues. Yes please feel free to login & use rogerlgraham. flamepix.com

1) DELETE not Deleting - You may be correct in believing its a cache issue. Thats what I thought. I cannot, however, find a way to clear the cache. Each time I delete a photo I close the FF browser (with delete cache, cookies, active logins, etc.) I also run CCleaner to delete browser caches. Yet, each time I upload or rename a new photo with the name of the original deleted photo the original reappears and the new photo disappears. So, I cannot figure out how to replace a photo. I name my photos sequentially so they appear sorted as I choose. I need to add an appended letter - like "xxxx-001a." This is what I have done. However it seems to be a undesirable work-around to another issue/bug to me.

2) Upload Photos - I am not using the resize option. I have tried lots of photos (50-75) & fewer photos (20-30) and sometimes 5 photos - ie, I tried various numbers of upload photos looking for a sweet spot. If there are many I always get some number that drop out due to unknown error. If there are fewer than 10 sometimes they all upload and sometimes 1-3 drop due to the error. I thought it might be a timeout issue on my end and have stopped other music streaming so uploading is my only router activity to no avail. I am building a new site and I have a huge number (2K) of photos to upload - they are all approximately sized 1280 x 960 progressive, jepg at 72 dpi.

I have done the same two functions many times on other servers (via my old host) and have not seen either the "DELETE not deleting" or "UPLOAD Unknown error" before. For me, these are issues unique to Flamepix.
Hope it helps,
Roger

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

19 Jul 2016, 12:55

Roggsf wrote:1) DELETE not Deleting - You may be correct in believing its a cache issue. Thats what I thought. I cannot, however, find a way to clear the cache. Each time I delete a photo I close the FF browser (with delete cache, cookies, active logins, etc.) I also run CCleaner to delete browser caches. Yet, each time I upload or rename a new photo with the name of the original deleted photo the original reappears and the new photo disappears. So, I cannot figure out how to replace a photo. I name my photos sequentially so they appear sorted as I choose. I need to add an appended letter - like "xxxx-001a." This is what I have done. However it seems to be a undesirable work-around to another issue/bug to me.
In addition to browser caching, at flamepix we use additional caching with Cloudflare. This means your images are distributed (and cached) on high-speed servers, in close proximity to the visitors request ... In turn, this makes your websites + images display very fast. We can disable Cloudflare for your account, although that would be counter-productive for performance.

I am wondering though, why exactly are you "replacing" image names, instead of just uploading new images? That means you uploaded some images before that were not right or something? Images will get new names if you upload a new images with the same name as existing ones, and then you can delete old ones after ... or optionally, you can use the CUSTOM SORT feature instead of relying on names.

If you want though, I can either A) purge the Cloudflare cache for you on request, or B) Disable Cloudflare image caching entirely (basically disables CDN feature). If you choose B, I would recommend that you request Cloudflare re-enabled again after a while once you are done "replacing" images ... I can't see that replacing image names would be part of a natural workflow.
Roggsf wrote:2) Upload Photos - I am not using the resize option. I have tried lots of photos (50-75) & fewer photos (20-30) and sometimes 5 photos - ie, I tried various numbers of upload photos looking for a sweet spot. If there are many I always get some number that drop out due to unknown error. If there are fewer than 10 sometimes they all upload and sometimes 1-3 drop due to the error. I thought it might be a timeout issue on my end and have stopped other music streaming so uploading is my only router activity to no avail. I am building a new site and I have a huge number (2K) of photos to upload - they are all approximately sized 1280 x 960 progressive, jepg at 72 dpi.
All I can say about this, is that it is either related to A) Temporarily corrupt internet, B) Corrupted images or C) Somehow in your upload-batch you are over the limit of either max_file_size, max_file_uploads or post_max_size ... Seems unlikely, unless you perhaps forgot to resize down some of your images ... since you are not using the resizer, you are responsible that all your images are resized appropriately prior to upload.

I tried to upload a batch of 71 images in a hidden folder "mjautest", without problems. You can check the folder in your panel.

Added

Uploading ...

Uploaded

I'm not quite sure where the problem lies for you / your images, but it's not a specific bug at flamepix or the panel uploader. Already have 100s of users, and within server limitations, this is not reported at either flamepix or self-hosted X3 websites.

What I recommend: See if you can reproduce the issue with a minimum batch of images ... OK. Then delete the uploaded images, and try to upload the exact same image-batch again. Is the error consistent for the same batch of images? Ok, then I would like to get my hands on that batch so I can pinpoint the exact issue myself. If the problem does NOT occur consistently, and the same batch successfully uploads on 2nd attempt (or 3rd), then the issue is related to corrupted transfer from your ISP (internet service provider).

Roggsf
Topic Author

19 Jul 2016, 13:36

Hi, I will try the upload test as you suggest and let you know. Before I do so I have noticed that I get the error message as follows and wonder if that effects my issues. I do have a valid license, of course. A recheck stays the same error message.
"domain: rogerlgraham.flamepix.com No license found for this domain."

1) DELETE not deleting - I have a CloudFlare Account at "rogerlgraham.com" that I have used at my previous host. I suspect however that with my domain pointed to rogerlgraham.flamepix.com, its not seeing my account and instead using some technique on your end. I will eventually drop my old host and point and use my current official domain name. I have tried disabling CloudFlare but didnt really find that to be a solution to my issues. Anyway, Yes I would want Cloudflare in effect. You can temporarily delete its cache if you think itll help. If so, it should be reinstated as for the longer term I would want to use that feature.
I replace images because: 1) I might not like the photo once I see it online and just want to get rid of it and use another version in its place (same sort order) or 2) I might not like the way it renders (colors/lighting/etc) - ie doesnt look right...... I would then reprocess the RAW version and want to replace the original version.... others reason but no so important.... whatever the reason I would like a new photo in the same sort order as the original deleted one...... I can use the workaround mentioned but there is still something happening with my Flamepix account that may be causing this.....

UPLOAD - I will run your test and let you know. I have uploaded many 100s of photos already and from the photos that are dropping I have not been able to determine a factor. It seems to be random. However, the exact photo that was dropped on the first upload will eventually upload after I try a second or sometimes even a third time. So I do not think its anything related to the photo itself.....

Roggsf
Topic Author

19 Jul 2016, 13:46

One more clue - Sometime I have to Login in twice to get the X3 CP panel to render properly. When I login the first time I get a non-GUI version where the Gallery Upload feature is not even available. So, I Logout and the login a second time and it appears and renders with the proper GUI interface. These other issues may be related to something amiss with my specific account setup... Roger

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

20 Jul 2016, 00:58

Roggsf wrote:Hi, I will try the upload test as you suggest and let you know. Before I do so I have noticed that I get the error message as follows and wonder if that effects my issues. I do have a valid license, of course. A recheck stays the same error message.
"domain: rogerlgraham.flamepix.com No license found for this domain."
Unrelated. Although you get this message in the panel, all flamepix-subdomains are licensed (when viewed from the actual website). I have fixed it now so that your panel says the domain is authorized also.
Roggsf wrote:1) DELETE not deleting - I have a CloudFlare Account at "rogerlgraham.com" that I have used at my previous host. I suspect however that with my domain pointed to rogerlgraham.flamepix.com, its not seeing my account and instead using some technique on your end. I will eventually drop my old host and point and use my current official domain name. I have tried disabling CloudFlare but didnt really find that to be a solution to my issues. Anyway, Yes I would want Cloudflare in effect. You can temporarily delete its cache if you think itll help. If so, it should be reinstated as for the longer term I would want to use that feature.
I replace images because: 1) I might not like the photo once I see it online and just want to get rid of it and use another version in its place (same sort order) or 2) I might not like the way it renders (colors/lighting/etc) - ie doesnt look right...... I would then reprocess the RAW version and want to replace the original version.... others reason but no so important.... whatever the reason I would like a new photo in the same sort order as the original deleted one...... I can use the workaround mentioned but there is still something happening with my Flamepix account that may be causing this.....
Understood. 100% sure this issue is related to Cloudflare ... Furthermore, it's related to Cloudflare on OUR side, not yours. Until you move the domain from rogerlgraham.flamepix to your own rogerlgraham.com domain, Cloudflare is effectively under the flamepix.com account.

I have now (temporarily) disabled Cloudflare-caching for your subdomain rogerlgraham.flamepix, which means Cloudflare will always bypass image requests directly to the (our) server now. This will resolve your issue, although it's important to note that you will still need to empty your browser cache after "replacing" an image ... Often, it's easier to use browser "private" window (or "new incoginto window" as it's called with Google Chrome) when testing, as it will always bypass your browser cache.

We can re-enable Cloudflare-caching later, or after you move the domain. Perhaps in the future, we will add a button to "clear cloudflare cache" directly from the panel.
Roggsf wrote:UPLOAD - I will run your test and let you know. I have uploaded many 100s of photos already and from the photos that are dropping I have not been able to determine a factor. It seems to be random. However, the exact photo that was dropped on the first upload will eventually upload after I try a second or sometimes even a third time. So I do not think its anything related to the photo itself.....
Roggsf wrote:One more clue - Sometime I have to Login in twice to get the X3 CP panel to render properly. When I login the first time I get a non-GUI version where the Gallery Upload feature is not even available. So, I Logout and the login a second time and it appears and renders with the proper GUI interface. These other issues may be related to something amiss with my specific account setup...
You have any screenshot of this? It was a reported issue earlier that sometimes the folders-menu did not load properly after initial panel-load, but never heard of the GUI not "loading/working". I can't help but suspect something with your internet transfer packages being corrupted ... perhaps related to SSL (https) even ... Perhaps you should try a different browser to see if anything changes?

Although unlikely, it could also possibly be related to Cloudflare security/firewall ... I have taken the liberty to lower the Cloudflare security levels for your subdomain. Let's see if the issue re-occurs ... If it does, please can you let me know asap, and also send me your IP (search google "my IP"), and I will check Cloudflare logs to see if firewall is triggering on something.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

20 Jul 2016, 01:05

PS! I see you have enabled the Cloudflare controls from your panel. First of all, this ONLY has effect when using "Extreme Page caching" method, as outlined here: https://forum.photo.gallery/viewtopic.p ... 4&start=15. It will not clear image cache.

Roggsf
Topic Author

20 Jul 2016, 14:44

Hi,
I tried uploading screen prints of the Login - NO GUI issue to a new topic I created in the X3 CP Panel area. I had mentioned it in my "DELETE not Deleting - Cannot Replace Photos"post. However, something went wrong and it does not appear to be listed.

Now when I try again I get the message "The upload is currently in progress." even hours after I submitted. I think I may have goofed up by entering a Filename but hitting the Submit button before I attached the actual file. Maybe you can fix this for me.

The issue is: When I log into the X3 CP panel for the first time the GUI does not operate..... One of the several consequences is I cannot upload photos as the box to enter photos is not available. If I Expand the Menu, then logout and then log back in it corrects itself....

I have attached the screen print of this issue to this email in the hopes that this will help you solve the issue.

I will rerun an Upload of photos soon and let you know where I stand.

Thanks,

roger

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

21 Jul 2016, 00:31

Roggsf wrote:Hi,
I tried uploading screen prints of the Login - NO GUI issue to a new topic I created in the X3 CP Panel area. I had mentioned it in my "DELETE not Deleting - Cannot Replace Photos"post. However, something went wrong and it does not appear to be listed.

Now when I try again I get the message "The upload is currently in progress." even hours after I submitted. I think I may have goofed up by entering a Filename but hitting the Submit button before I attached the actual file. Maybe you can fix this for me.

The issue is: When I log into the X3 CP panel for the first time the GUI does not operate..... One of the several consequences is I cannot upload photos as the box to enter photos is not available. If I Expand the Menu, then logout and then log back in it corrects itself....

I have attached the screen print of this issue to this email in the hopes that this will help you solve the issue.

I will rerun an Upload of photos soon and let you know where I stand.
As for the "question" above, there seems to be two issues, and I don't see how they are related. You speak of CP panel GUI not loading correctly (on first load), but ALSO a failed upload ... I don't get it ... Surely if you get the corrupted GUI page as you are getting, you would refresh the page before you try to upload files? .... or do you get the upload error immediately after refreshing the page, even if you are not uploading anything? There is something very strange going on within the realms of your browser/internet connection ... and you can be sure this issue is the same that is corrupting your uploads also. These issues are entirely non-existent for other users ... If it was, then we would have had to deal with it ages ago.

I would have to suggest the following, if for nothing else than to start ruling out elements: A) Try another browser (chrome or firefox), B) Try another computer altogether, C) Try from another location (internet).

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

21 Jul 2016, 02:07

Also, if you can try this ... It seems you are using Internet Explorer EDGE browser? Try to locate "Developer Tools", which should open up a window at bottom of screen. Then click "network". Then navigate to the panel page ... Check if something isn't loading (normally outlined in red). Also, click the "console" tab, check if there are any errors.
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/m ... ols-guide/

Roggsf
Topic Author

21 Jul 2016, 16:28

FYI..... To add to my previous post. I just moved some photos to an external drive and tried to upload them using a different pc. Both run Win10 on the same ISP connection.

This time I uploaded 20 photos - 6 cancelled due to the "Unknown Error." When I uploaded the 6 missing ones for a second time they all loaded properly.

btw..... I tried 3 times logging in and out of X3 CP panel using FF browser using the different pc laptop...... all 3 times was unable to get the GUI to load. Went to Edge and was able to Login.....

The same issues occur on different setups...

Hope it helps,
roger

Roggsf
Topic Author

21 Jul 2016, 21:22

EUREKA!!! EUREKA!!!

I think..... I've just done two trial runs of photos uploads without any errors and cancellations!
What is happening is not really clear to me, though I feel like I am on the road to having an answer....... Friday Ill check further.

My theory is that my Virus Protection (on both pc) is in some way interfering. I use Bitdefender Total Security 2016 which is by many authorities the best or one of the best on the market. I think my issues may be related to its active protection and something in the method Flamepix does its uploading.

When I set a parameter called Anti-virus Shield - On Access Scanning to "Permissive" down from "Normal" two uploads of 20 files each were uploaded without errors & dropouts. When I set it to back to "Normal" I experienced a few dropouts.

Not sure why Bitdefender picks on Flamepix - seemingly both X3 Login & Photo Uploads. Perhaps maybe you would know why??? The Flamepix process is likely different than ones I have used before and without issues..

Anyway - its just a theory for now. I will test again on Friday.

Thanks,
roger

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

21 Jul 2016, 22:26

Roggsf wrote:Not sure why Bitdefender picks on Flamepix - seemingly both X3 Login & Photo Uploads. Perhaps maybe you would know why??? The Flamepix process is likely different than ones I have used before and without issues..
That would at least explain things, and hopefully this is the answer ... Unfortunately I can't explain it technically ... The uploader simply uses modern HTML5 uploading and javascript. I would suspect it's something to do with bitdefenders SSL/domain/whitelisting ... Kinda weird that it's random though.

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling this issue could be specifically related to the "scan SSL" setting in bitdefender. I see there is a bit of "fuzz" about this setting when doing a search.
https://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=56497
http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/bitdef ... -software/
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1101394

Roggsf
Topic Author

22 Jul 2016, 15:21

Hi,
Thanks for checking out Bitdefender. Unfortunately that is not a cause. Thinking it must be BD, I Ive been running numerous test to help isolate the issue.
Test 1- 24 of 25 canceled with BD Anti-virus Sheild set to normal and Search Adviser and Scan SSL = Off.
Test 2 - 12 of 25 canceled with BD Anti-virus Sheild set to normal and Search Adviser = On and Scan SSL = Off.
Test 3 - Exact same result as Test 1 (24 of 25 failed) with all Web Protection = Off. Includes Protect Against Fraud & Phishing.
Test 4 – Turn Off every Components of BD and all 25 of the 25 canceled
Test 5 – Completely Uninstalled of BD – 7 of 25 canceled

Somehow the Gallery I was testing with disappeared. Here I most likely clicked the wrong Delete button in trying to cleanup for the next test. The high level Delete is easy to see the Files Delete is easier to miss. Eventually a warning would be good. feature.

Test 6 – No BD & Windows Firewall = OFF - 19 of 20 Photos Failed
Test 7 - No BD, No Win Firewall & No Router (ie, I used an Ethernet cable to eliminate the router) and 14 of 20 failed

As mentioned I have used 2 different pc (Desktop & Laptop) and 2 different browsers to no avail. Ive never had an issue with my ISP - I stream music & movies and I have uploaded and download many thousands of photos and also FTP on very large files with no issues.

So I am led to believe, once again, this issue is most likely related to the way my individual specific account is setup.
I realize no other Flamepix user experiences this issue. It must be specific to my domain setup - (ie, rogerlgraham.flamepix.com)

Ive eliminated everything I can think of that might be causing this on my end.

Maybe, its a Distance From Server or CloudFlare issue....... Any ideas / whats next??

Thanks,
roger