Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Bulletproof IT
Experienced

Re: X3 Status Update [Aug 15]

16 Sep 2015, 22:16

Yes I have been using IFRAME's to integrate content. So this means all content is on one site (as per licence) and then link directly to a gallery.
But it is a shame there was no update to X2 to resolve issues. I guess there was not much point working on Flash due to it's inherent issues and restrictions.
*Hopefully* there will be an X2 Migration tool, to read directories and their files (same server, specifying base url /home/user/path/etc) so galleries, sub-galleries, descriptions, titles, comments, etc can be imported.

Fingers crossed for 2.5 more days (17th here!)
» I Imagevue X3 «

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

17 Sep 2015, 01:17

Bulletproof IT wrote:*Hopefully* there will be an X2 Migration tool, to read directories and their files (same server, specifying base url /home/user/path/etc) so galleries, sub-galleries, descriptions, titles, comments, etc can be imported.
We can do that. I don't think there will be base url settins, or comments though, because they are not native features to neither X2 or X3.
Bulletproof IT wrote:Fingers crossed for 2.5 more days (17th here!)
Sorry, it's right round the corner, but it's gonna be a bit more than just a few days. In the middle of crucial changes here. I will make a post tomorrow about what is happening to settings, why this update is so crucial, and how it will effectively make X3 "ready to launch". Sorry, but this update is alpha-omega, and needs to be done right.

Martin
Experienced

17 Sep 2015, 10:34

mjau-mjau wrote: I will make a post tomorrow about what is happening to settings, why this update is so crucial, and how it will effectively make X3 "ready to launch". .
Shouldn't you prolong the beta testing period after such massive adjustments?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

17 Sep 2015, 23:29

Martin wrote:Shouldn't you prolong the beta testing period after such massive adjustments?
Yes. We are not desperate to launch X3 non-beta, but we are critically intent on launching a version of X3 where settings are easier to apply, and crucial updates can be applied without hassle. See my post coming in 1 hr.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

18 Sep 2015, 01:45

Just taking a break from dev to write a post about why next release will be such a monumental X3 release. As noted in the original post in this thread, next release will include plenty new features. However, there is one critical change that will leverage next release into a pre-release, and that is the change of settings structure, and how settings are applied.

Those of you who are current beta users, are already familiar with the freestyle input of page-settings and global-settings. Some of you have also become comfortable with it, although that would be thanks to the extensive examples pages. Although we originally wanted to keep things nice and simple, there are some inherent problems with current settings:
  • Unintuitive. Some of the settings are easy to understand, but creating complex page layouts is completely obscure without having the example pages.
  • Mistakes. Not only are settings unintuitive, but having open input settings opens up for human typos. One incorrect space or comma in a settings-string can easily break your page or layout.
  • Defaults. You can't apply defaults, and basically need to copy in all page-settings from existing pages. I imagine that is how many beta users create all their pages.
  • Unconsolidated. Settings are basically spread out across files content/_shared.yml and panel/config.php, which need to be maintained manually.
  • Updating. When updating X3, there is no way to merge new settings with existing settings. You are required to manually update your _shared.yml and config.php files ... How can we possibly launch something like that upon users with below-average technical insight?
Hello X3 NEXT
So what have we done to revolutionize the future world of X3 settings?

In technical terms, we are converting all settings from YML to JSON, and expanding (changing) the structure of settings. Essentially, what you will see in the panel for both global settings and page settings, will be something like this:

See screenshots of the former YML vs the new JSON files. Looks complicated? Sure, but you won't be editing settings manually anymore. Also, you may notice that the JSON file has a deeper structure, as we are basically moving away from setting-strings like "gallery: grid:3,2,1 crop:2,1 frame", which is fragile and unproductive.

Benefits
Although it has taken a lot of time and resources to convert settings and create dedicated panel interfaces for them, it has been a crucial and worthwhile move for the following reasons:
  • Intuitive. I think it's needless to say from the screenshots, that applying settings will be more intuitive.
  • Help. With a dedicated panel settings interface, we can offer in-page help [screenshot].
  • No manual editing. With the new json settings alongside the new panel interface, there should never (ever) be any reason to edit any setting-files manually.
  • Consolidated. Forget about content/_shared.yml and panel/config.php. All settings are now stored in a single file, which is shared for both the X3 website and the X3 panel.
  • Defaults. There will be a new file config.defaults.json, which contains all default settings for the X3 website and panel. This file should never be edited, but allows us to maintain setting-defaults and add new settings without affecting user-settings.
  • User Settings. Here is where it starts getting really smart. User Settings (applied from the panel), are stored in a unique file config.user.json. When you make changes in settings from the panel, it only stores differences from default settings. This way, the user-settings are kept at a minimal, and only contain settings that are not the same as default.
  • Easy updating. The new settings structure will make it super-simple to update X3 as new versions are launched. New settings may be added in new releases, and some defaults may even change, but all your custom settings will remain intact inside your unique user settings file. The user-settings file is only created when changes are made from the panel, and will therefore not get overwritten on update. There is no longer any need to manually edit/maintain any config files on update. Just update.
  • Default page settings. You can now create default page settings (available from global settings). Essentially this means that you often won't need to apply extensive layout-settings on a per-page basis. Default page settings- and styles are inherited upon pages, unless specifically changed from the page settings.
  • Technical benefits. In addition to the functional benefits mentioned above, there are a range of technical benefits which deserve to be mentioned. JSON (Javascript Object Notation) is much more flexible than YML, and allows us to easily share settings between PHP and Javascript.
    - X3 can now merge page settings with user settings and default settings when the application runs.
    - JSON is natively supported across PHP, Panel and Javascript, allowing us to delegate responsibilities.
    - JSON supports native datatypes (string, number, boolean, array, object) in both Javascript and PHP.
    - Extended settings are now strict, with little room for typos or errors.
    - Since JSON has native support in PHP, it will compile faster without need for plugins.
Conclusion
Basically there are two reasons why this alone propels X3 into "release candidate":
1) New X3 can be launched upon users, and updates become a formality instead of a challenge.
2) Settings can be applied intuitively for new- and existing users.

* I am sure you all see the importance of this update, and that converting all settings takes some time. We can't just "hurry" it up and stop at 70% and release something incomplete. The good news is that once this release is out, it will greatly benefit all future updates and everything will be much easier from then. It will be another few weeks ... (sorry).

Update from current beta to *new?
I am sure many of you are wondering how you will be able to upgrade from current beta to the new settings? This was something that I was very concerned about myself, but at some point I had to ignore for the benefit of the greater cause. This is also the reason I have currently blocked new users from the current beta. Good news! Although I had capitulated to the idea of having to tell current beta users that they had to redo all settings (including page-settings), I have now taken the time to build a settings-converter. It is not flawless, but it should be able to convert pages with 95% accuracy. There are some obscure settings- and classes in current X3 setting strings that may not be convertible.

Martin
Experienced

18 Sep 2015, 06:05

Hi Karl,

This is really GREAT!!!
I notice that when I'm making adjustments to my site it's easy when I'm on known territory, but last week I was trying something different (some blog style Pages) and it cost a lot of time just because of finding the right settings.
So this new settings interface is really very welcome!!

I don't mind to wait a few more weeks :-)

andreamarucci
Experienced

18 Sep 2015, 08:26

Fantastic Karl. The actual release it's working very well so don't hurry since we all prefer to have something concrete and stable to play with :-)

Bulletproof IT
Experienced

21 Sep 2015, 12:13

No worries mate! :D
It's alright. Maybe say December 2015 and then everyone will fall off their chair when they see it on 1st October!
:D lol

Base URL is so the script knows where to find X2 content, rather than implicit scanning or importing all content. e.g. ../home/username/.apps/photo.galleries/2012LIVE/xxxxx/

Please send me something to proof read - language files or anything. Whatever I can do to alleviate the pressure!
Good work Karl!

mjau-mjau wrote:We can do that. I don't think there will be base url settins, or comments though, because they are not native features to neither X2 or X3.
In the middle of crucial changes here. I will make a post tomorrow why this update is so crucial, and how it will effectively make X3 "ready to launch". Sorry, but this update is alpha-omega, and needs to be done right.
» I Imagevue X3 «

EHRETic
Experienced

23 Sep 2015, 13:42

mjau-mjau wrote:Update from current beta to *new?
I am sure many of you are wondering how you will be able to upgrade from current beta to the new settings? This was something that I was very concerned about myself, but at some point I had to ignore for the benefit of the greater cause. This is also the reason I have currently blocked new users from the current beta. Good news! Although I had capitulated to the idea of having to tell current beta users that they had to redo all settings (including page-settings), I have now taken the time to build a settings-converter. It is not flawless, but it should be able to convert pages with 95% accuracy. There are some obscure settings- and classes in current X3 setting strings that may not be convertible.
Alleluia ! :-)

Can't wait, really...

BTW, any new feature integrated in the RC ? Just wondering, no pressure ! :P

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

24 Sep 2015, 04:29

EHRETic wrote:BTW, any new feature integrated in the RC ? Just wondering, no pressure ! :P
Yes, this was mentioned in the original post https://forum.photo.gallery/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8694. Most notably, a new awesome popup, toolbar/sharing, image-landing-page ++.

swamphox
Experienced

04 Oct 2015, 11:58

C'mon...what is the status now?

Bulletproof IT
Experienced

05 Oct 2015, 19:28

Karl, I would not give you my car to service. You would keep telling me " she'll be ready in just a couple days..." Then "only a few days until you can pickup your car..." LOL

Is this RC still not ready?

It's good to see you are interested to see the interface be improved as I told you a year ago, this would have been what prevents people from purchasing. Lots of drop-down and radio and checkboxes for management of settings!

Really keen to get the update so I can get some sites up and running with a beta, as they've been incredibly patient, waiting for IV...

I hope outs ready before December, so we can get some sites up and running. Please let me know the url for the RC download.
Thanks mate!

Really proud of you wanting to ensure this is polished off and fully operational. 10/10
» I Imagevue X3 «

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

06 Oct 2015, 00:50

swamphox wrote:C'mon...what is the status now?
Almost there with global settings. Final task before launch, is to add per-page settings into the panel. To give an idea about the scope of changes to settings, and why it is taking a while, please see the screenshots below.

* A single section expanded under a single tab.

* Each- and every setting has a help-button, offering in-page help.

If you consider the depth of the above, I am sure you understand the amount of work involved with the new settings. We are soon there ...
Bulletproof IT wrote:Karl, I would not give you my car to service. You would keep telling me " she'll be ready in just a couple days..." Then "only a few days until you can pickup your car..." LOL
True. But luckily for you, you don't have your car in our service, and a car that isn't ready within a reasonable amount of days is simply poor service. We are working to launch a high-quality product, but we simply can't make change the passing of time, or sell cars with missing wheels. Unfortunately it is difficult to predict release dates of products that are highly evolutionary and unique, and that is why X3 is beta as we warned all early adopters.

Next release will be monumental - future upgrades will arrive faster, and upgrading will be a breeze. That is why we need to get this one right ... Apologies to all for the long wait ...

Martin
Experienced

06 Oct 2015, 04:28

mjau-mjau wrote:... Apologies to all for the long wait ...
In my opinion there is absolutely no reason for apologies!
I am grateful for the efforts you are making and I feel that I am in no position to make demands.

The screenprints look salivating, though :-)

swamphox
Experienced

06 Oct 2015, 07:04

looks so awesome. you can imagine that your loyal minions are like wolves waiting to devour x3 like they have not eaten in months.