X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

grimurnet
Experienced
Topic Author

Any news on HTML5 version of imagevue?

17 Sep 2012, 12:18

Hi guys,

just wondering if there is any news on the new html5 version?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Any news on HTML5 version of imagevue?

18 Sep 2012, 01:44

It is definitely in the loop, and our no.1 top priority as anything major for the future.

However, it requires more than just making something and releasing it ... We need to plan this into our products, and as a strategy. We cant just have a myriad of frontends floating around, and a bloated admin where settings for the new gallery are hard to find. It would also require a response on the website ... But yea, its in the loop, but just so you are aware that there are a few challenges. I can't give you a date unfortunately ...

grimurnet
Experienced
Topic Author

26 Oct 2012, 11:07

Hi guys,
I'm just checking out how it is going with the new version of Imagevue? Is there any date on at least beta release for testing?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

28 Oct 2012, 03:52

Sorry, but the answer unfortunately is no ... We don't have a date for at least a beta, because this is out of visible range as of right now ...

grimurnet
Experienced
Topic Author

30 Dec 2012, 08:40

Hi guys,
I'm just wondering how it is going with the html5 version?
Have you at least started that project?

spl1
Experienced

30 Dec 2012, 18:48

i think they're working on it :-)

if they answer all the time the same questions.. the html5 library will be released in 2 years :-)

happy new year :-)

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

31 Dec 2012, 00:06

No need to be sarcastic ... If you don't like what we have to offer, then I think that is easy for you to solve.

grimurnet: planning, ideas, concepts YES. Actual raw development: no. Unfortunately, the entire technical+business aspect of this is a bit more complicated (forgive me for not going into detail). We do want to proceed with a brand new version on a html fundament (although technically speaking, the "html5" term will have very little to do with it). However, we don't want to give dates we can't keep (as we have done before), and therefore the general answer has just been "no" as for stating release dates.

We prefer to stick with that, as this is an honest approach for all parties. If someone can't live with that, then nobody is forcing anyones arm behind their back.

I do understand that you wish to inquire about this. New X3 is definitely on the agenda for first half of 2013 ...

grimurnet
Experienced
Topic Author

31 Dec 2012, 02:27

Does this mean no html5 version?
What I am looking for in html5 is the flexibility, and also more modern design.
It sounds like you guys don't want to move forward. And that is why one is getting a little unpatient.
It is quite long ago html5 was in question, and now suddenly it is not going to be a html5, does that mean old html4. I'm just asking because you guys get really angry when people ask about new html5. The reason why I have not moved on to another gallery is because I like imagevue, but I would like to see you guys wanting to keep users happy. Not always get angry when we want to know what is going on.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

31 Dec 2012, 06:12

grimurnet wrote:It is quite long ago html5 was in question, and now suddenly it is not going to be a html5, does that mean old html4. I'm just asking because you guys get really angry when people ask about new html5.
That HTML5 is another discussion altogether ... Some people seem to think HTML5 is the new format that can take over for rich fluid media. In the end of the day, HTML5 is just a new version of html (taking over after html4). It is itself a platform for creating rich fluid media apps ... What you see in modern websites and galleries in terms of frontend interactivity is not HTML5 ... It is normally a mix of modern CSS3 and javascript (normally jQuery), which run fine in any HTML (instead, depending on browser).

So just to get that out of the way, the idea that "HTML5" is relatively irrelevant to a new version of Imagevue. We could pretty much build the same gallery using normal html with modern CSS3 and Javascript. The focus on "HTML5" therefore may be misunderstood, because its not like this technology suddenly came and made it better to make online galleries. The fundament will still be heavy javascript and CSS, regardless of using html5. So its not like here comes html5 and therefore we wanna make the gallery in html5. Instead, it is more the fact that flash is not as popular as before, and javascript/css3 combinations are more powerful and widespread, and therefore a point of simply building the next Imagevue in HTML (likely it will be html5, but the presence of the number 5 will be relatively irrelevant).
grimurnet wrote:Does this mean no html5 version?
What I am looking for in html5 is the flexibility, and also more modern design.
Likely a new version will have the html in html5 format (although as explained above, this offers little benefit to a gallery app, outside of the CSS3 and javascript). Neither does it specifically offer more flexibility and modern design than non-html5 gallery. But the short answer is YES, we do want to make this ... However, it will not be thanks to the HTML5 standard.