X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

TristanJo
Experienced
Topic Author

MySQL DB?

13 Aug 2022, 14:33

Hi~ karl~:blush:

Can the embed gallery display the picture uploaded on the MySQL DB?

I would like to display it in the latest order using embed gallery on several gallery boards posted on MySQL DB.

https://youtu.be/1NiJcZrPHvA

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: MySQL DB?

13 Aug 2022, 22:03

I'm not sure what you are trying to do. "Images uploaded to mysql" doesn't mean the images are uploaded INTO the database ... It just means the database is tracking the path of all the images. The images are still uploaded into a single folder. Why can't you just add all your images into the folder that you want Embed to display? What's the point of "uploading to a database"? What's the difference?

TristanJo
Experienced
Topic Author

15 Aug 2022, 03:27

mjau-mjau wrote: I'm not sure what you are trying to do. "Images uploaded to mysql" doesn't mean the images are uploaded INTO the database ... It just means the database is tracking the path of all the images. The images are still uploaded into a single folder. Why can't you just add all your images into the folder that you want Embed to display? What's the point of "uploading to a database"? What's the difference?
Hello, Carl
There are still many websites that use mysql db in Korea.

For example

Suppose you have a long-running photo community homepage.
It would be better if you could show your embedded photo gallery with all the pictures posted on the website db. 

The folder on the website that I made into your gallery
Snipaste_2022-08-15_16-21-40.png
Snipaste_2022-08-15_16-21-40.png (62.94 KiB) Viewed 6781 times
When I created hundreds of folders, I felt that there was a limit to the upload method, and the problem was that I was the only one who could upload it.

If you create a photo community, it won't be easy for users to upload photos.

I don't know if it's explained.
My English is not good.:joy::sweat_smile:

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

15 Aug 2022, 04:32

TristanJo wrote:There are still many websites that use mysql db in Korea.
Yes of course. Many websites still use DB, because the application itself is built with DB.

Files Gallery and Embed does not use database, because 1. it doesn't need to, 2. it's a simple passive app that can simply read existing folders. No install. No maintenance. Just because Files and Embed does not use DB, doesn't mean that other applications should not use database.

However, you are asking Files and Embed to support database, not because its practical, but because you want to read database entries creates from another application. This is not possible, because Files would have to be rewritten to suit that other application. That's like asking that other application to support Embed.

Besides, it's not like images are inside a database. The database is constructed and named specifically for the other application (some community forum website?). You can't just "support mysql" ... It needs to be setup to support a specific mysql format.
TristanJo wrote:It would be better if you could show your embedded photo gallery with all the pictures posted on the website db. 
Only because you want to re-use the data stored in your existing application, which Embed does not know about.
TristanJo wrote:When I created hundreds of folders, I felt that there was a limit to the upload method, and the problem was that I was the only one who could upload it.
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Regardless of mysql or non-mysql, you still need to store ALL images on disk. If you have 10.000 images in a single folder, or have them spread into folders, what's the difference? With mysql, it means you need to create hash-based names "i435uyt.jpg" etc, else names will crash.

Ultimately, both Files gallery and Embed are built to support images uploaded into a folder, without being locked to a database. That means it does not have to "install" and it means you can move files on server without breaking the application. Besides, what would be the point?

I can understand why you want Embed to support images from your existing database-application, but it doesn't work like that unfortunately. It can be done, but it would be a custom job to adapt files/Embed to work with your native mysql-application.
TristanJo wrote:If you create a photo community, it won't be easy for users to upload photos.
Of course, for communities and forums, and even most gallery websites, mysql database is better ... because you want to store logic and features alongside each image. This is not the case for Embed or Files gallery. And even if it was, you can't just cross-mix different applications using the same database to access photos.

Sorry for the long response, but this is only possible by re-coding Files to read the specific database instead. To do that, one would need to study the database ...

TristanJo
Experienced
Topic Author

15 Aug 2022, 08:41

mjau-mjau wrote:
TristanJo wrote:There are still many websites that use mysql db in Korea.
Yes of course. Many websites still use DB, because the application itself is built with DB.

Files Gallery and Embed does not use database, because 1. it doesn't need to, 2. it's a simple passive app that can simply read existing folders. No install. No maintenance. Just because Files and Embed does not use DB, doesn't mean that other applications should not use database.

However, you are asking Files and Embed to support database, not because its practical, but because you want to read database entries creates from another application. This is not possible, because Files would have to be rewritten to suit that other application. That's like asking that other application to support Embed.

Besides, it's not like images are inside a database. The database is constructed and named specifically for the other application (some community forum website?). You can't just "support mysql" ... It needs to be setup to support a specific mysql format.
TristanJo wrote:It would be better if you could show your embedded photo gallery with all the pictures posted on the website db. 
Only because you want to re-use the data stored in your existing application, which Embed does not know about.
TristanJo wrote:When I created hundreds of folders, I felt that there was a limit to the upload method, and the problem was that I was the only one who could upload it.
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Regardless of mysql or non-mysql, you still need to store ALL images on disk. If you have 10.000 images in a single folder, or have them spread into folders, what's the difference? With mysql, it means you need to create hash-based names "i435uyt.jpg" etc, else names will crash.

Ultimately, both Files gallery and Embed are built to support images uploaded into a folder, without being locked to a database. That means it does not have to "install" and it means you can move files on server without breaking the application. Besides, what would be the point?

I can understand why you want Embed to support images from your existing database-application, but it doesn't work like that unfortunately. It can be done, but it would be a custom job to adapt files/Embed to work with your native mysql-application.
TristanJo wrote:If you create a photo community, it won't be easy for users to upload photos.
Of course, for communities and forums, and even most gallery websites, mysql database is better ... because you want to store logic and features alongside each image. This is not the case for Embed or Files gallery. And even if it was, you can't just cross-mix different applications using the same database to access photos.

Sorry for the long response, but this is only possible by re-coding Files to read the specific database instead. To do that, one would need to study the database ...
Yes, I understand what you mean.

Thank you~ karl~