X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

trpgforum
Experienced
Topic Author

Dowload Picture in iphone not possible?

12 May 2020, 02:09

Hello Karl

In the meantime, I'm testing the Files app with around 18,000 photos in around 15 annual directories. This works extremely well in this quantity. Unfortunately I can only download the pictures on my PC. In the iPhone I can only download the image miniature, but not an original photo (popup) of the photos. This would currently be one of the most important basic functions. Do I have to set something in index.php?

Thanks and best regards
Thomas
THOMAS RUF PHOTOGRAPHY
Landscape - Nature - Macro
4132 Muttenz
Switzerland
www.thomas-ruf.ch

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Dowload Picture in iphone not possible?

12 May 2020, 06:45

trpgforum wrote:In the iPhone I can only download the image miniature, but not an original photo (popup) of the photos. This would currently be one of the most important basic functions. Do I have to set something in index.php?
First some info: Technically, iPhone (iOS) does not support "download", because it does not have a traditional file-system, and that's why the download button in Files app appears on all platforms except iOS. The only way you can download on iPhone, is by touching down a while on a link or image, and then clicking "save image". Have you seen it done differently anywhere else? The best you can achieve on iOS to save a full size image, would be to first open the full size image in a "new window", and then pressing it to get the context menu and save.

So just to be clear, this is not an "option" or anything in Files app. However, we could perhaps make it a bit more accessible ... The problem with the POPUP, is that it does not allow "long press" (required to get the iOS context menu), because touch events are used for navigating the popup. We could add an icon (open in new window) from the popup, which would open the image in a new window, from where you could easily "long press" the image and save it. You could also set the "click" option in Files settings to "modal" or "window", in which case the image would open in a new window when clicked, instead of the popup.

So as is the case for iPhone, regardless of what website/application you are viewing from, there simply is no "download" feature. The only way to download, is by long-clicking an image, but we can't include that directly in the popup.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

12 May 2020, 07:14

Actually, I'm a bit confused about iOS, because it should support the download attribute. I'm not 100% sure if it can download directly when clicking a "download" button, or if the image first has to open in a new tab. I will look into it for next release, and at minimum, I should be able to add a button (in the popup) which can open the image in a new tab (where you can easily download it).

trpgforum
Experienced
Topic Author

12 May 2020, 07:37

Thanks Karl!

You're right. If you don't open the image as a popup, but in a new tab, you can actually save it as an image. Was probably with my thoughts at Dropbox, which I used occasionally.

In any case, thank you very much and best regards
Thomas
THOMAS RUF PHOTOGRAPHY
Landscape - Nature - Macro
4132 Muttenz
Switzerland
www.thomas-ruf.ch

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

26 Aug 2020, 04:41

Added in latest Files app release 0.2!
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=10027
mjau-mjau wrote:Added download-button in popup for touch/mobile devices. This works in most modern mobile devices that support the download attribute, although in iOS Chrome browser it currently opens image in browser instead of downloading.