Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

ranmajen
Topic Author

A few questions

30 Mar 2020, 01:03

I have just tried your new files app, it is very fast and user-friendly. But I have a few questions to ask:

1. What is the purpose of the login and password set in the config? Seems visitors can freely browse the gallery without login and password. And I only can upload via ftp. Remarks, I have not changed the file name of the index.php.
2. Can I prevent visitors to save my photos?
3. Can I amend the column width of the menu bar?
4. Can I change the outlook like font color or other css settings, where to set?
5. Any rss link can I use? I prefer latest photos, instead of latest albums which X3 gallery is using the latter.

Thanks for making this app. I like it.  :heart_eyes:

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: A few questions

30 Mar 2020, 06:21

Hi. Big thanks for the feedback!
ranmajen wrote:1. What is the purpose of the login and password set in the config? Seems visitors can freely browse the gallery without login and password. And I only can upload via ftp. Remarks, I have not changed the file name of the index.php.
The question is a bit unclear. The purpose of login and password, is to only allow access to the application for visitors who have a login and password. Just like the login demo:
https://demo.files.gallery/login/

You cannot access without logging in as guest/guest. This does not work for you?
ranmajen wrote:2. Can I prevent visitors to save my photos?
Not currently an option, but I will definitely add "download" as an option. Perhaps on user-level once we have multi-users in place. Keep in mind, just like the X3 website (and any other web app), any visitor that can view the image, can also download the image for example by using the browser network inspector. There is no way around this.
ranmajen wrote:3. Can I amend the column width of the menu bar?
You want to set a fixed width in settings? Or you want to be able to drag-resize it? I need to think about this. Currently, the menu bar expands relative to the browser width, and has a different width entirely when it's closed.
ranmajen wrote:4. Can I change the outlook like font color or other css settings, where to set?
One point of the Files app, is that it's not supposed to be a website that you can style (like X3). It's primarily meant to be a useful "tool", without design options, allowing us to focus on the functionality. There will not be many options to change layouts and styles.

However, we will definitely support custom stylesheets, which means you can easily override fonts, colors and other styles with basic CSS. This is not yet available, but I will perhaps add it to next release. It means you could simply drop a file "files.css", and the CSS would be included. Furthermore, since Files app uses CSS variables, you would easily be able to override global variables that are used. I will definitely be looking into this, so stay tuned.
ranmajen wrote:5. Any rss link can I use? I prefer latest photos, instead of latest albums which X3 gallery is using the latter.
Sorry this question is unclear. You want Files app to create an RSS link with latest photos? For each directory? I need to consider this, because as mentioned earlier, Files app is a single file, and it's not supposed to be a website. We could perhaps do something like /approot/?path/to/dir&rss=1, which would create RSS output for the given dir. This is slightly out of scope currently.

Seems to me like you would like to use Files app kinda like a gallery website with some styling? I can understand that. For now, Files app will focus on being a functional file viewer and a "tool" for owners. Also because we intend to build it into X3 Panel 2.0. However, in a while, I also intend to create a new website-gallery, based on Files, but with more options for styling ...