Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

akuzma
Topic Author

Show subfolder images in sections?

08 Feb 2021, 07:12

Hello there,

When I look at a photo gallery, I would prefer to look at pages with images in separate sections instead of a hierarchical structure. I've given it some thought and would like to submit a suggestion for an enhancement.

When showing a folder that does not contain any files but subfolders, could the images/files of all of its subfolders are shown in sections? Each section could be preceded by the name of the sub-folder from which the images/files originate.

In this way, i.e. the locations of a trip could be viewed on a single page, which is much more attractive if you have only a few photos from each location, than clicking through a hierarchical structure on the left.

So that the sorting doesn't get too complicated: The selected sorting could be used uniformly for all sub-folders, both for the images/files in them and for the sorting of the sections (folders) above.

What do you think?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Show subfolder images in sections?

08 Feb 2021, 22:41

It's been requested earlier, and it certainly is a good idea. I'm sure many users would like to use such a layout. However, at this point, with X3 being a folder-based gallery website, it's simply not an option. I am definitely keeping a tab on this feature (and other similiar multi-gallery functions) for a major new version (likely X4, although it will build upon the same concepts as X3). This is therefore not something you can expect immediately, but it may very well arrive sooner than later.
akuzma wrote:The selected sorting could be used uniformly for all sub-folders, both for the images/files in them and for the sorting of the sections (folders) above.
It's unclear what you mean "sections (folders) above" ... You mean you want to display the folders at top, and then the same folders below, but with images? Wouldn't the point of displaying subfolder sections including images mean that you would not need (or want) to display folders? The folder-section titles themselves could be clickable of course, if the visitor wants to visit view the single gallery. It would be something like this

SUBFOLDER A (clickable)
photo1 | photo1 | photo1 | photo1 | photo1 | photoX

SUBFOLDER B (clickable)
photo1 | photo1 | photo1 | photo1 | photo1 | photoX

Seems unintuitive to display the subfolders also above.

akuzma
Topic Author

09 Feb 2021, 01:19

I meant the sorting of the pictures (by name or date, forwards or backwards).

To make things easier, I have suggested that you don't need different settings for sorting the sections (folders) and images / files, but that one setting can apply to both. Just to keep the UI slim.
Example:
Code
Normal sorting:     Reverse sorting:
---------------     ----------------
Folder_1            Folder_3
  Image_11            Image_35
  Image_12            Image_34
  Image_13            Image_33
Folder_2              Image_32
  Image_21            Image_31
  Image_22          Folder_2
Folder_3              Image_22   
  Image_31            Image_21
  Image_32          Folder_1
  Image_33            Image_13
  Image_34            Image_12
  Image_35            Image_11

Note: This list means not hierarchical structure, but three sections with the images from the subfolders, divided by spaces with the folder name in it.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

09 Feb 2021, 03:17

Ok got it  :thumbsup: Until this feature is possible, "sorting" is not something I would want to worry about quite yet. Ultimately, any folders/galleries on the page should inherit sort settings from that specific page.