Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

revorgneil
Topic Author

Re: Some questions before i purchase

28 Nov 2020, 10:33

Ok no worries, the main thing is i know what issue areas are.

Just a quick note. 
One of the folders had + in so i renamed (as the folder will obviously be part of the file path and seemed to be causing issues), cleared all the cache files - folders and files.
As they reloaded i noticed there were quite a few folder click errors and images that hadn't loaded, re traversing folders seemed to 'clear' the errors and more images were showing - after several backwards and forwards it reached a state were most were working and images showing bar known # issues etc.

It seems there isn't enough time for the scripts to do their job (build the caches i am guessing).
Is there anyway of slowing down the initial cache building process so its built 100% first time?
I think its better users wait a little bit on first load and get complete set of working folders and images?
My thumb generator script does this - slow first page load while it build thumbs - fast refresh or next load.
In most occasions the person first loading new objects will check these out first which will have the slight delay while first viewers will get the speedier cached results.

Neil

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

28 Nov 2020, 11:19

Well, again I can't really diagnose what you describe without seeing it in action, and understanding exactly what steps you took.

Files app has a pretty simple, logical and straight-forward caching mechanism:

1. When anything changes in a dir, the dir will reload and cache will be recreated. Changes are identified by using "mtime" (modified time) for the dir. Simple and efficient.
2. Similar to the above, the menu will reload when anything happens in the entire dir structure.
3. As for "thumbnails", I don't understand the issue or what is the point of "slow first page load". Files app will create a thumbnail from an image "on demand", which means the thumbnail will basically get requested as a gallery layout shows it. If a cached version already exists, then the cached version will be served. If not, a cached version will be created first, then served. Cached resized images are obviously much faster than resizing large images every time. Furthermore, Files app uses the size and modified time of the original image in the cache name, which means it will detect changes made to the file ... For example, if you edit an image file, the modified time and file size will change, which will force a new cache name request. 

revorgneil wrote:My thumb generator script does this - slow first page load while it build thumbs - fast refresh or next load.

In most occasions the person first loading new objects will check these out first which will have the slight delay while first viewers will get the speedier cached results.
Not quite sure what you mean. Files app already creates cached resize images on first request from first visitor. From then on, all visitors will be served fast-loading cached images, which is the point of caching resized images.

revorgneil
Topic Author

28 Nov 2020, 11:56

i can't really show it as will require a bit of synchronization with me deleting all my cache then you immediately cycling my folders - as mentioned it was only a note so don't worry about it, but from what you described as the resized thumb generation process it looks like the serving of first thumbnail doesn't always happen on first folder view.. as mentioned its not a major problem so its not worth progressing.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

28 Nov 2020, 21:58

revorgneil wrote:but from what you described as the resized thumb generation process it looks like the serving of first thumbnail doesn't always happen on first folder view..
So what do you see instead of the thumbnail then?

It ALWAYS serves the thumbnail (unless the src image is small enough to be used as thumbnail). The question is, is the thumbnail created yet? If not, it gets created. So on FIRST visit, it will get created if it's not already created ... How else would it be able to display?

revorgneil
Topic Author

29 Nov 2020, 19:35

It shows as an icon for the file or an error message viewing a folder.
Another way to describe it is you have to do repeated refreshes to get all the images to show - or a refresh on folder error will show the folder. I've also just noticed if you scroll a folder up and down it can also sometimes refresh the icon for image.
Don't know if its server (or browser) serving them or code creating them - from what you saying more likely the former.
It's not a big problem in the scheme of things just giving feedback

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

29 Nov 2020, 22:22

revorgneil wrote:It shows as an icon for the file or an error message viewing a folder.
But then that is the request for the resized image itself, which creates an error. I need a link to see the error and/or you can keep network inspector open, and check the error when the image attempts to load. It could be a memory error or a character error.

It's not "delayed", because it's called as soon as possible once the resized image gets requested for the first time.
revorgneil wrote:Another way to describe it is you have to do repeated refreshes to get all the images to show - or a refresh on folder error will show the folder. I've also just noticed if you scroll a folder up and down it can also sometimes refresh the icon for image.
Don't know if its server (or browser) serving them or code creating them - from what you saying more likely the former.
It's not a big problem in the scheme of things just giving feedback
Can't say without seeing myself, or at least having diagnosed from the inspector so you can check the error message. It's not any "delayed" loading or anything ... It's just an error plain and simple for the resized image loading.