Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

mmb
Topic Author

Questions

03 Sep 2020, 14:21

I really like Files App and I have been looking for a modern single file php app for a while now, I have a couple of questions though before I purchase a license.

Is any of the following on your roadmap?

To have a random image taken from each set as the folder thumbnail rather than a generic folder icon?

I have many folders and to make browsing quicker I have put the image sets as subfolders into main folders, I would like to have the newest folder first, for example year 2020 rather than 2000 but if I sort the folders this way Files App also sorts the images in each folder the same but I would prefer the images ascending, for example 1, 2, 3

I have also found that if you control/click on a folder to open the folder in a new tab, the folder doesn't open like it does in X3.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Questions

04 Sep 2020, 00:06

Hi. Thanks for your interest in Files app!
mmb wrote:To have a random image taken from each set as the folder thumbnail rather than a generic folder icon?
Yes it's possible, and I already have this in my todo list. The only reason I am hesitant, is because this task requires reading files inside each folder of the dir being navigated to, instead of just the dir itself, essentially slowing down the request. However, as long as you have cache enabled, this would only occur on first request (or when the dir gets refreshed). Also, as long as your server is not slow and/or there are not 100s of sub-directories, it will probably load reasonably fast anyway.
  • In regards to the above, it would likely be an option "folder_previews", disabled by default.
  • To emphasize that the item is a folder (and doesn't get confused with images), I would still keep the folder icon, but with a slightly smaller preview image overlaid on top.
mmb wrote:I have many folders and to make browsing quicker I have put the image sets as subfolders into main folders, I would like to have the newest folder first, for example year 2020 rather than 2000 but if I sort the folders this way Files App also sorts the images in each folder the same but I would prefer the images ascending, for example 1, 2, 3
The challenge here is that that Files will sort all your items by date or name, ascending or descending. In your case, it seems you require an option "folders name-descending" (high to low) + "files name-ascending" (low to high). I can't see how that would work with the dynamic "sort" option ... I can only think of an option "folders_exclude_sort", which would prevent folders from being sorted, and instead you can lock them to a specific sort.

Out of curiosity, do you have any desktop app/browser that sorts in this way? I would need to figure out a logical approach.
mmb wrote:I have also found that if you control/click on a folder to open the folder in a new tab, the folder doesn't open like it does in X3.
Yes. Whereas X3 is a website where the visitor should remain on the website, I wanted Files app to allow default behavior for "open in new tab" (and "copy link"), which simply uses the target location, regardless of item type. I could perhaps include options to configure how you want "open in new tab" to work (eg. it could open the location in the Files app).

FYI, I am considering new feature "favorites", which allows you to store references to selected files/folders in a root-level virtual :star: "favorites" folder. Also thought about "app tabs", eg. tabs directly within the Files app, but this would be further into the future.

mmb
Topic Author

04 Sep 2020, 13:31

Thank you for your fast response, yes I have noticed how quick the folders and images load and it would be a shame to slow it down but as you say using the cache it might be ok.
The following script sorts folders and images separately and also when you control/click it doesn't allow folders to open in a new tab it opens folders in the main index page.
https://www.sye.dk/sfpg/

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

05 Sep 2020, 01:36

mmb wrote:Thank you for your fast response, yes I have noticed how quick the folders and images load and it would be a shame to slow it down but as you say using the cache it might be ok.
It shall be done.
mmb wrote:The following script sorts folders and images separately and also when you control/click it doesn't allow folders to open in a new tab it opens folders in the main index page.
https://www.sye.dk/sfpg/
Thanks. Already checked this app, but will take a further look specifically into these features. Most likely it will be added.

mmb
Topic Author

05 Sep 2020, 05:53

Thank you for your help, I have purchased a license :)

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

09 Nov 2021, 05:38

Files app 0.3.0 includes folder preview images (thumbnails), see demo.