Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

JMM
Experienced
Topic Author

Is it possible to display dashes in breadcrumbs?

27 Nov 2022, 23:28

Hello, Karl.

Is it possible for me to use some kind of CSS Custom Styling, to allow dashes to display in Breadcrumbs?

I understand that underscores in folder names are converted to spaces in breadcrumbs, and I have modified my folder names accordingly.

I also understand that regardless if uppercase or lowercase is used in folder names, in breadcrumbs the first character is always capitalized, with the remaining characters in lowercase.  For those instances (such as USA), where Usa is not correct, I've discovered that if in the folder names I use uppercase for all characters that should be uppercase, then breadcrumbs will also display those as uppercase :-).

Example:

folder name of galleries\usa will display breadcrumbs as Galleries > Usa
folder name of galleries\USA will display breadcrumbs as Galleries > USA

However, I also have a need to display dashes in breadcrumbs.

An example where I wish to have a dash displayed in breadcrumbs, can be seen on THIS page.  Note that in the URL, I have the folder named as CF-104_Starfighter.  In the breadcrumb, X3 translates the underscore in 104-Starfighter as a space, which is what I want :-).  However, I wish the dash to also display in CF-104, which unfortunately X3 translates into a space.

Is there some kind of CSS Custom Styling that I can use, so that this particular breadcrumb displays as Home > Galleries > CF-104 Starfighter (with the dash in CF-104)?  Or maybe there's another way to trick X3's breadcrumbs to display that dash?

Thank you in advance & have yourself a great week.

Regards,
John
Self-hosted using Abyss Web Server:   AuroraWings.me   |   GalleryWings.com   |   PanAurora-Studio.com   |
Externally-hosted using LiteSpeed/Apache Web Server:   GenealogyWings.com/galleries   |

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Is it possible to display dashes in breadcrumbs?

28 Nov 2022, 00:43

Hi John,

The problem is that we kinda need to interpret -dashes- as empty spaces, because the best way to create multi-word URL's is to use dashes /fighter-planes-are-crazy/. If we didn't interpret dashes as empty spaces, this example would display in breadcrumbs as "Somfolder > Fighter-planes-are-crazy > Subdir", which is generally undesirable.

I think you will need to live with the missing -dash in CF-104 unfortunately. The only other option would be to write a Javascript hack that overrides the breadcrumbs after each page load, and includes the -dash regardless.

JMM
Experienced
Topic Author

Re: Is it possible to display dashes in breadcrumbs?

28 Nov 2022, 01:17

No problem, I kinda figured that.  I can live with that, and much appreciated for your reply.
Self-hosted using Abyss Web Server:   AuroraWings.me   |   GalleryWings.com   |   PanAurora-Studio.com   |
Externally-hosted using LiteSpeed/Apache Web Server:   GenealogyWings.com/galleries   |