Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

spinweb1
Topic Author

Is there a video size limit?

04 Nov 2013, 11:03

I'm experimenting with adding videos to my site. I was able to upload one that was around 2MB via the uploader tool, but all videos that were bigger yielded a "file too large" error. 3 or 4MB is not large for videos. I'm wondering where the constraint is. Is it the upload tool, or some other limit of ImageVue?

Thanks,
Eric

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Is there a video size limit?

05 Nov 2013, 09:38

Unfortunately, this is a limitation with your server which is likely set to 2MB max file-upload size through HTTP protocol (which means basically through a web page). Unless your host wishes to change this setting, you can only get around it by uploading large files by FTP.

spinweb1
Topic Author

05 Nov 2013, 10:23

No problem. I just wanted to know what's up. The limit may be slightly larger than 2MB... perhaps closer to 4MB. That seems to be the threshold for getting that "File to large" error message. I'm comfortable with FTP, so I'll use that. Once the files are uploaded, will I be able to manage them via the ImageVue File Manager?

For instance, I'll probably want unique thumbnails for my videos. If I make the images myself, do I need to just follow the file naming convention the server uses (e.g., "tn_filename") to get ImageVue to use my thumbs?

Thanks,
Eric

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

05 Nov 2013, 11:24

spinweb1 wrote:For instance, I'll probably want unique thumbnails for my videos. If I make the images myself, do I need to just follow the file naming convention the server uses (e.g., "tn_filename") to get ImageVue to use my thumbs?
Exactly ...

videoName.mp4
tn_videoName.jpg

spinweb1
Topic Author

05 Nov 2013, 18:53

One of my videos needs to load entirely before playback commences. Are there video parameters that require this? File extension? Maybe this is just true for really large videos?

One more question: Can I change the default video thumbnail for one of my own? I want it to be the same size as the image thumbs and look slightly different than the default video thumb.

Thanks!
Eric

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

06 Nov 2013, 23:02

spinweb1 wrote:One of my videos needs to load entirely before playback commences. Are there video parameters that require this? File extension? Maybe this is just true for really large videos?
This is not unheard of, and it usually occurs in two cases: A) Your server does not return the proper file size in the header of the video file, or B) The video file is encoded some way that the file size is not available in the header. If your other videos work without loading entirely, I can only assume it must be related to option B. Video players use the file size extracted from header to figure out when to start playing after buffering, but if the file size is not available, it may not play until entirely loaded.
spinweb1 wrote:One more question: Can I change the default video thumbnail for one of my own? I want it to be the same size as the image thumbs and look slightly different than the default video thumb.
You didn't do this already? As specified in previous post, you can manually create your own thumbnail file. For example videoName.mp4, need a thumbnail tn_videoName.jpg. Just replace any existing thumbnail with that name, with your own jpg.

spinweb1
Topic Author

07 Nov 2013, 11:02

1. Makes sense. I'll keep my eyes open for any others that require a full download. Maybe that one was encoded differently, as you suggest.

2. What I want to do is replace your white 160x120 thumb... the one that the system uses by default, with a different one. Making custom thumbs for all
my videos is more work than I'm willing to do (would be great if future ImageVue could generate video thumbs automatically.... Windows Explorer seems to be able to do it when I select the video). Thus, I want to make your default video icon slightly different so that all the videos I upload will automatically use that.

Thanks,
Eric

P.S. I LOVE your upload tool. Combined with the auto resizer it's saving me a LOT of time!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

08 Nov 2013, 01:24

So as I understand, you want to crate your own custom video thumbnail that becomes the default for all your video thumbnails?

You can change the default thumbnails by editing files in the folder iv-includes/images/thumbs/.

Imagevue can in fact create thumbnails for videos, but only if you have the FFMpeg PHP extension on the server, which is unlikely. Until then, it is simply not possible for Imagevue to automatically create real thumbnails from your videos.

spinweb1
Topic Author

09 Nov 2013, 14:21

Perfect. I changed the standard video thumb at that path and now it's using mine as the default.

How about the photos that show up when you first load ImageVue by default? What's the path to those?
I poked around in /iv-includes/images and didn't see them.

I'll ask my host if they have that php extension, but I reckon the answer is no, since the server isn't
generating thumbs from videos automagically.

I was also wondering why some photos show all sorts of statistics about the image when moused over,
while others don't.... even others taken with the same device (e.g., iPhone5).

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

10 Nov 2013, 05:47

spinweb1 wrote:How about the photos that show up when you first load ImageVue by default? What's the path to those?
I poked around in /iv-includes/images and didn't see them.
Unless you have changed it, your gallery is starting in the START folder, which you can navigate to in your admin.
spinweb1 wrote:I was also wondering why some photos show all sorts of statistics about the image when moused over,
while others don't.... even others taken with the same device (e.g., iPhone5).
By default, Imagevue is set to display some EXIF data (metadata) on hover.