Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Would You Like To Have Better Support For Videos In ImageVue?

Yes - I would like it to be easier to add videos!
8 (53%)
Yes - I would like to embed videos more easily!
4 (27%)
Yes - Instead of manually creating text links to lightboxes in HTML!
2 (13%)
No - Pasting 100's of lines of HTML in text pages is easy!
No votes
No - I enjoy spending hours manually linking videos in text pages!
1 (7%)

Total votes: 15

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Improved Video Gallery! Vimeo + YouTube "Folder" / "File

16 Sep 2013, 12:17

Yup, you are right ... and the API will surely be beneficial when getting title, description and thumbnail for a Youtube video without having to store it locally. Just one section I would like to comment on, which is more in context with the challenge:
Bulletproof IT wrote:Storage
Now the storing of each AtTheBeach.Y/V.vid.link Video link in the Gallery - which stores all the information entered in the form I explained above, is simply displaying the appropriate frame in which the video is served to the visitor. So rather than having to have a text page, you could instead choose the Video Gallery drop-down just as you choose Filemod and Text Page etc.... Clicking on the thumbnail listing will have the Video open up in a floating frame, where the video parameters (________.Y/V.vid.link) are loaded into the YouTube or Vimeo template and initiated.
Yes, one could easily have a "video" display instead of a textpage or filemod etc. The admin could just enter a Youtube video URL, and then it would automatically get thumbnail, title and description. The challenge however, is if you want a full folder/gallery with multiple Youtube videos ... As Imagevue works now, all files are local and the script simply returns a list of files in any given folder. Youtube videos are hosted on Youtube of course, and to have multiple Youtube videos, you would need to store a virtual reference file for each Youtube video. Else how will Imagevue be able to store references to multiple videos in a folder unless they are referenced somehow ... I think Youtube API also allows to get an entire set of videos from a specific user, which might be in handy so that Imagevue would need to store a reference for each video ...

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Yup, you are right ... and the API will surely be beneficial when getting title, description and thumbnail for a Youtube video without having to store it locally. Just one section I would like to comment on, which is more in context with the challenge:
Now the storing of each AtTheBeach.Y/V.vid.link Video link in the Gallery - which stores all the information entered in the form I explained above, is simply displaying the appropriate frame in which the video is served to the visitor. So rather than having to have a text page, you could instead choose the Video Gallery drop-down just as you choose Filemod and Text Page etc.... Clicking on the thumbnail listing will have the Video open up in a floating frame, where the video parameters (________.Y/V.vid.link) are loaded into the YouTube or Vimeo template and initiated.
Yes, one could easily have a "video" display instead of a textpage or filemod etc. The admin could just enter a Youtube video URL, and then it would automatically get thumbnail, title and description. The challenge however, is if you want a full folder/gallery with multiple Youtube videos ... As Imagevue works now, all files are local and the script simply returns a list of files in any given folder. Youtube videos are hosted on Youtube of course, and to have multiple Youtube videos, you would need to store a virtual reference file for each Youtube video. Else how will Imagevue be able to store references to multiple videos in a folder unless they are referenced somehow ... I think Youtube API also allows to get an entire set of videos from a specific user, which might be in handy so that Imagevue would need to store a reference for each video ...

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Bulletproof IT
Experienced
Topic Author

01 Oct 2013, 17:44

Wow, they are a lot of responses! :) Thanks for your positive feedback on adding multiple videos via URL references for YouTube / Vimeo.
The same way multiple images are referenced in a folder, and one by one, a thumbnail is displayed, the same would occur for videos! :) Except, hopefully the API would download the thumbnail locally into the directory for faster viewing.

Clicking on an item, would just open the lightbox and start streaming the video. The same way every other website plays youtube / vimeo media :)

I am really looking forward to this and will happily purchase another licence once implemented :)

When can we trial v3 beta?

Thanks mate!
» I Imagevue X3 «