Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

spinweb1
Topic Author

Do videos work with ImageVue?

02 Sep 2013, 15:10

Is video content supported in ImageVue? If so, which formats? And did video support get added recently or should it work on all versions of ImageVue?

Thanks!

Eric

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Do videos work with ImageVue?

03 Sep 2013, 05:06

Imagevue has supported FLV for a long time, and perhaps a year ago we added support for MP4 video also. Recently though, we added better support for Youtube and Vimeo video, and this is the recommended way of adding videos with little compromise. They are simply faster, and can stream at multiple bitrate depending on client.

Using Video in Imagevue
Youtube and Vimeo video in Imagevue with the lightbox

spinweb1
Topic Author

04 Sep 2013, 20:47

Thanks, Karl. Will look forward to that when I upgrade. Though Youtube may work better in some regards, the
flow of pulling videos right from my phone to ImageVue has to be faster than uploading them first to YouTube or Vimeo.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

05 Sep 2013, 01:28

spinweb1 wrote:Thanks, Karl. Will look forward to that when I upgrade. Though Youtube may work better in some regards, the
flow of pulling videos right from my phone to ImageVue has to be faster than uploading them first to YouTube or Vimeo.
This will be entirely up to you of course, although I would strongly debate that. When uploading a video, how is it faster to upload it to your server than to Vimeo? Besides, the client on a mobile device will have much faster access to the video through Youtube, since Google outputs videos much faster on their CDN network than your server does, and also provides multiple bitrates which is quite important for someone on a mobile device.

spinweb1
Topic Author

08 Sep 2013, 21:42

I haven't uploaded multiple videos to youtube. However, I can tell you that many people I know and myself, have
serious bandwidth issues on youtube. I don't think people will be accessing my imagevue from mobile devices,
it's (as far as I envision) just for close family.

How is it faster to upload? I guess I'm considering metadata on youtube or vimeo which is not necessary on my
own host. I just drag all my videos to my hosting account and they are accessible. I don't want to add superfluous
data to personal videos.

spinweb1
Topic Author

23 Oct 2013, 09:15

Can I have mp4 videos mixed in with photos in the same folder, or do they need to be in a folder with only videos?

Also, in your gallery demo, I noticed that the videos didn't seem to have a way to close them.

Thanks,
Eric

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

24 Oct 2013, 01:47

spinweb1 wrote:Can I have mp4 videos mixed in with photos in the same folder, or do they need to be in a folder with only videos?
Yes you can, but from a functional perspective I personally wouldn't recommend this. A visitor does not immediately differentiate between the files in a folder, and its a bit annoying to not know if you are clicking a video or an image. Also, when using the slideshow, it will jump between images and videos, which is a somewhat undesired effect.
spinweb1 wrote:Can I have mp4 videos mixed in with photos in the same folder, or do they need to be in a folder with only videos?
If you click outside the video, it will close automatically, in addition to the close button in the top right corner:

spinweb1
Topic Author

01 Nov 2013, 11:58

Hi Karl,

I'm viewing your sample videos on this page: https://www.photo.gallery/demo/x2/#/various/video/

Neither in Firefox nor IE (Windows 7), does an "x" appear toward the upper right of the video to close it when I mouse over the video. It closes when I click way outside the video, but it would be good if the "x" showed up, as that's the standard icon to close.

Can you check?

Thanks!
Eric

nz-photo
Experienced

01 Nov 2013, 14:36

Hey Eric !
You're right, can't see the X in firefox BUT It appears well in Chrome...
Empty your mind, be formless, be shapeless, like water...
www.nz-photo.com

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

03 Nov 2013, 03:08

Works in all browsers on Mac at least ... I will check windows as soon as I get the chance. In the meantime, can you check the examples on the Colorbox demo page? http://www.jacklmoore.com/colorbox/example3/

We are basically just using the colorbox lightbox in Imagevue.

steveB

07 Nov 2013, 05:31

mjau-mjau wrote:Works in all browsers on Mac at least ... I will check windows as soon as I get the chance. In the meantime, can you check the examples on the Colorbox demo page? http://www.jacklmoore.com/colorbox/example3/

We are basically just using the colorbox lightbox in Imagevue.

Just following this thread.
My recently uploaded video doesn't show the x, the colorbox demo page does though. Both windows 7 with firefox and safari behave the same.

Steve

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

08 Nov 2013, 04:26

I checked on Windows and can confirm this issue ... This is however not a new bug, or anything created specifically by Imagevue. It seems some browsers can't handle z-index and SWF files ... The video player is a SWF file, and the close button is supposed to hover over it (which it does in most browsers). You can't see it on the colorbox examples page, because they don't have any examples with video. Im mostly surprised that the same browsers that can't handle this, can handle it on mac. This will be solved with new version.