Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Help - Changing Styling on Text Pages - Why is it so har

13 May 2014, 03:16

If you think I am rude just because I take time and answer your question properly methodically, then so be it. If my posts are rude, then yours measure up ... I am reading and understanding your posts very well thank you, but it seems you are not reading mine, which are factual and still stand. Let me answer your comments in-depth:
Bulletproof IT wrote:I've read back over my past few messages - no where does it say I am talking about the server. Everything I discuss is the visitor and browser!
Where have I claimed that you are talking about the server? Im just saying, it is the BROWSER that is caching thumbnails when it loads them ... nothing more nothing less, its that simple.
Bulletproof IT wrote:The reason I am responding is that you have not made any updates to the application, so nothing has changed! Why fill the forum with duplicate topics?
Well, as in my reply above, this is not an issue with Imagevue. Imagevue does not cache thumbnail (not on server, or in the client). Instead, it is your native browser functionality that caches thumbnails when they are loaded (regardless of what website/app that loads them).
Bulletproof IT wrote:I am trying to be constructive here. I am trying to resolve an issue that clearly is affecting people, otherwise I would not be wasting my time looking for a solution! I don't want conflict. I just want a solution.
First of all, this only affects users within all the following parameters: 1) Website owners sets thumbnail size. 2) Visitors visit website 3) Shortly after, website owner changes thumbnail sizes for some reason (this is not normal of course). 4) Same visitors as before visit the website and see old cached thumbnails from their browser cache.

This process is unrelated to Imagevue of course, so let me make an example
1. You have an image domain.com/content/folder/image.jpg
2. Visitors visit the URL domain.com/content/folder/image.jpg
3. You decide to resize the image.
4. Visitors visit the URL domain.com/content/folder/image.jpg, and will see the old cached version.

The above is basically what you are seeing with cached thumbnails, and it is not a process that is handled by Imagevue, neither server-size or client side.
Bulletproof IT wrote:
If $last.visit > $last.resize.date, then serve fresh content, else use cached files.
What .htaccess modifications do you suggest? RE: Part B. in your message.
Well, this is not PHP or anything, and this is something that should be set up by default to work properly from your host. We may be looking into providing a custom htaccess file for Imagevue X3, although this is far from any exact science. I would try to use the html5-boilerplate htaccess file, which is basically industry standard and has some proper caching rules added:
https://github.com/h5bp/html5-boilerpla ... /.htaccess
Bulletproof IT wrote:You still don't understand what I am saying. Your entire message, excluding B)., has got nothing to do with what I have said (or ever said!). Show me WHERE I have said "The Web Server Performs All Caching"??
I have said a hundred times, that the VISITOR / BROWSER is caching. Read my message. It is in black and white.
Now you are being plainly rude, so Im just gonna answer straight out. Where have I claimed that you have said "web server performs all caching"?? I re-read my post just in case, but nothing of that sort. If anyone is not reading replies, it is you. I have read and understood your issue 100%, both now and before ... My answers are entirely true and related.
Bulletproof IT wrote:
Hmm well I have never ever ever ever in my life seen a Flash website show cached content.
That is because the BROWSER does the caching! That is why there is a Clear Cache button in ALL browsers! Read what I said - "I have never seen a website show cached content!" Is that not clear?
I would say no, that phrase is not entirely clear "I have never seen a website show cached content!". Obviously most websites show cached content stored in the browser cache, and some websites even cache some requests on server (Imagevue is not one of them). The browser does the caching yes. Imagevue does NOT do any caching itself, no. It is your browser that is hi-jacking requests, and looking inside its cache for the same request to see if it is cached. This is the same for Imagevue or any other gallery app, or website. I repeat: It is not the Imagevue application that is caching anything whatsoever, not on server not in browser ...
Bulletproof IT wrote:Read what I am saying. The PAGE (imagevue) needs to TALK to the BROWSER, to then dispose of the cached files! How is this hard to understand? Where am I saying the SERVER is doing the caching? You really have to slow down and read what people say. So much time has been wasted where you're not reading what I've said.
More pun from you, even though I have read and answered this correctly before. When Imagevue loads this file /content/folder/tn_image.jpg, it loads it just like your browser would load it directly. It doesn't communicate with the browser by checking the creation date of the file, just like any other image application. If anything, your htaccess file needs to deal with this, and I suggest using the one I quoted above, although technically this should be default behavior from your own server.

This is my last reply to you where I go in depth, because I have at all times 1) I have read your reply properly, 2) answered correctly, 3) answered in depth. Yet I am still getting pun from you. Maybe you should read my or not take me for an idiot?
Bulletproof IT wrote:
Clear cache. Refresh. Wow. Everything is fine!
Guess what! The Clear Cache button does NOT clear the cache of the web server!!! It clears the BROWSER cache!
So what, and who has claimed anything else? The clear cache button obviously refreshes the browser cache, and nothing else. I don't even know what you mean "server cache", and Imagevue certainly does not cache anything on server.
Bulletproof IT wrote:
You cannot tell that visitor to now flush their entire cache.
Again, read what I am saying! The VISITOR cannot be expected to clear their cache every time they visit a website!
We are just repeating ourselves, and stop asking me to read what you are saying. I have read this 100 times, and I am not claiming that your visitors should clear the cache. Unfortunately, when you change an image on the web and save it as the same filename, visitors who browsed that file earlier will see the cached version from their browser cache. This behavior is identical when viewing the image outside imagevue, as with Imagevue or any other image app that loads images. Basically it is not recommended to be resizing images here and there constantly anyway ... It is normal to create the sizes/thumbnails once, and that is how the website looks. If you for some reason need to resize thumbnails, and force previous visitors browsers to reload a refreshed version of the file, then I can only refer to my htaccess suggestion above or point B/C from my previous reply:
mjau-mjau wrote:B) There may be some methods to apply to your .htaccess file on server, which will first check if the file has changed, and report to browser. Browser will only reload the image, if the file has changed and has a different date than your browsers cached version. We are looking into this in Imagevue X3.

C) You could hack it for now, and rename the folder (keep the same title of course). That means the load path will change, and force the browser to reload images
Bulletproof IT wrote:Why are we going around in circles 9 months later? Please slow down and read what people say, instead of jumping to conclusions. You may find out, that they actually know what they are talking about.
We are going in circles because I am repeating myself, and you are claiming that I am not reading your posts. Furthermore claiming I am rude, while you are being the rude one here ... I am telling you the technical truth, and if you dont understand, or dont wanna read, or dont want to believe me, then I cant be of service any more.

Please, I suggest trying the htaccess fix from the html5bolierplate website. If anything, this is the only solution. I can only repeat myself one last time: Imagevue cannot and should not programmatically have responsibility for what files get cached in the users browser and/or when they get refreshed. I already gave you the technical reasons for this, both in this reply and my previous reply.