Imagevue X2.8 Mobile Gallery Beta

06 May 2012, 03:58

Thursday June 26, 2012
We have now launched Imagevue X2.8 proper:
https://www.photo.gallery/blog/imagevue-x28-mobile/

Download 2.8 βeta here:
https://www.photo.gallery/trial/imagevuex28beta.zip

Imagevue X2.8 Mobile Gallery Beta
We are hereby proud to launch a dedicated mobile version of the Imagevue Gallery, which is basically a frontend exclusively for smartphones and touchscreen devices. This version will automatically display for all devices accessing the gallery from any touchscreen- or smartphone device. So get out your iPhones, Androids, Blackberrys, iPads and other tablets, and please help us beta test the mobile demo:
https://www.photo.gallery/demo/x2/

There will be bugs naturally, but if all goes well, we will launch the beta for public download on Monday.

PS! You need to access the URL above from a mobile device, or it will just show the normal Flash gallery version. If you for some reason want to check the mobile version from your desktop, you can access it from the following URL:
https://www.photo.gallery/demo/x2/?mobile=1

* You will need to click the following link to de-activate mobile viewing for your desktop:
https://www.photo.gallery/demo/x2/?mobile=0

If you are in fact testing the mobile version from your desktop, please take into consideration that the interface is for touchscreen mobile devices. Best approach would be to downsize the width of your browser to give an estimate of how it may look from a mobile device. Something like this:

Screenshots from an iPhone 4S:

Startpage with large image and main menu

More menus at bottom, and footer

Viewing a gallery folder

Viewing a photo with title and description. Swipe to see next/previous image ...

A textpage ...

Contact form ...

Viewing an image in horizontal orientation

Any comments or bug reports are welcome ...

tfm426
Experienced

Re: Imagevue X2.8 Mobile Gallery Beta

06 May 2012, 05:22

Hi
First fantastic i am using an iphone 4s with wifi and must say i love it. a couple of things i have picked up and tell me if i misunderstood but on the albums with thumbnail sizes they all look the same except the 40x40 and this one looks blured and out of focus in the thumbnail, the rounded frame one is also square. i cant wait to try it on Monday with my sight.

tfm426
Experienced

06 May 2012, 05:36

Very strange i have just reloaded the demo again on my iphone and this time all the thumbs look as they should except the rounded corners one this one is still square. I hope this helps a litttle.

theflyingman

06 May 2012, 06:18

I am testing the beta in my Android device with small (240 x 320) touch screen.

The main gallery page looks fine.

What I have experienced so far:
- The navigation between pictures is possible only from the thumbnails page (I can not go from one picture to next (or previous) directly when viewing the picture)
- I can not get to site called "More info - more infor about Text pages" - Fatal error: call to undefined function strip_tag() in "path_to_the_file" (mobile/index.html.phtm) on line 65 is displayed.
- The same happens in other text pages (About Imagevue, Internal links) as well.

TheFlyingman

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

06 May 2012, 07:29

tfm426 wrote:Hi
First fantastic i am using an iphone 4s with wifi and must say i love it. a couple of things i have picked up and tell me if i misunderstood but on the albums with thumbnail sizes they all look the same except the 40x40 and this one looks blured and out of focus in the thumbnail, the rounded frame one is also square. i cant wait to try it on Monday with my sight.
tfm426 wrote:Very strange i have just reloaded the demo again on my iphone and this time all the thumbs look as they should except the rounded corners one this one is still square. I hope this helps a litttle.
Sorry, but allow me to explain what is going on here. You are looking inside "various thumbnail sizes" folder, which has been there for ages and is for the flash gallery and/or traditional html gallery. They do not have much effect for the mobile gallery, because that is the entire point of the mobile gallery to create a usable touchscreen interface. Besides this is the fact that mobile devices, depending on screen resolution and orientation, will always scale up or down thumbnails and images anyway, so you can forget about the examples in the folder you are looking at ... That is for the flash gallery and/or html gallery, which display thumbnails at pixel-perfect size.

Mobile devices will scale general content to fit the screen, and this is how we have optimized the Imagevue mobile gallery with 3 columns by default. If we displayed thumbnails at pixel size, 40px thumbnails would be small as a sandcorn and unclickable, besides for the fact that mobile devices would anyway scale the content as it seems fit anyway.

So please, disregard the "thumbnail examples" you have found deep in this folder. There is a setting for the mobile gallery called thumbnail columns, which basically decides how many columns of thumbnails to display in a mobile gallery. In our opinion, 3 columns looks pretty good on smartphones. Simply dont use 40px thumbnails if you want them to look ok in the mobile gallery. Also, you can disregard thumbnails aspects, or "rounded" thumbnails that you found ... This is specific styles for the main flash frontend that are not applicable for the mobile gallery. The whole point of the mobile gallery, is to take the content, and present it in an elegant- and functional- mobile friendly format, and in this process, it will come out differently than the flash gallery. This is not a separate gallery solution, but instead an elegant frontend for all users that will access your gallery from mobile devices.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

06 May 2012, 07:35

theflyingman wrote:...
Thanks. We will be going through everything reported here, and fixing- or making changes where applicable or where required.

grimurnet
Experienced

06 May 2012, 08:43

There is one bug I have come across. I'm testing on my iPhone 4 mobile.
Sometimes when clicking an album it comes with "open with dialog" when you click cancel and clicking it again it works.
And also quite many links come with "undefined" for instance contact, about gallery and more.
But overall I'm really liking the new look, you guys did a fantastic job :-)

Will there be a new backend functions for the mobile part?

Nick
Imagevue Hitman

06 May 2012, 11:22

Sorry about the undefineds, uploaded a version with a typo, fixed now.
firedev.com

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

06 May 2012, 13:05

grimurnet wrote:Sometimes when clicking an album it comes with "open with dialog" when you click cancel and clicking it again it works.
Sure this is not some quick finger-clicking? I am using iphone 4 myself and did not notice this, and basically its a normal link which would react like that if you hold the button down (like any other link from iphone).
grimurnet wrote:Will there be a new backend functions for the mobile part?
Half the job was to find a smart way to integrate this into an existing Imagevue gallery, without having to mess around too much. There are however a handful of settings specific for the mobile gallery, which we may expand upon for important features. Current settings are: Toolbar Title, Global Header, Startpage Header, Global Footer, Footer, show_thumbnails_in_menu, show_descriptions_in_menu, show_file_counters_in_menu, thumbnail_columns, theme (light/dark).

grimurnet
Experienced

06 May 2012, 13:33

mjau-mjau wrote:
grimurnet wrote:Sometimes when clicking an album it comes with "open with dialog" when you click cancel and clicking it again it works.
Sure this is not some quick finger-clicking? I am using iphone 4 myself and did not notice this, and basically its a normal link which would react like that if you hold the button down (like any other link from iphone).
grimurnet wrote:Will there be a new backend functions for the mobile part?
Half the job was to find a smart way to integrate this into an existing Imagevue gallery, without having to mess around too much. There are however a handful of settings specific for the mobile gallery, which we may expand upon for important features. Current settings are: Toolbar Title, Global Header, Startpage Header, Global Footer, Footer, show_thumbnails_in_menu, show_descriptions_in_menu, show_file_counters_in_menu, thumbnail_columns, theme (light/dark).
I think you're right with the quick clicking, i am not able to reproduce that, but I can see if I hold the finger on the link like any other link.

Felix J
Experienced

06 May 2012, 20:00

I don't have any smartphones or tablets :( ... but just by looking at it in browser it looks good..

Well done!

I don't know if this is a 'good' testing enviroment, but I've been trying it also using the Opera Mini Simulator and noticed that the "Back" and sharing button is formed as a rectangle while in FF 'normal' browser the buttons are rounded. Same goes with album 'arrows' (right side of album name's) and image above album names seems 'cut' a bit. Should it be like that?

I've tried it here - http://www.opera.com/developer/tools/mini/
ArtGallerix - Painting Gallery!
Felix Jacobson Photo - Personal Gallery!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

06 May 2012, 23:56

Felix J wrote:I don't know if this is a 'good' testing enviroment, but I've been trying it also using the Opera Mini Simulator and noticed that the "Back" and sharing button is formed as a rectangle while in FF 'normal' browser the buttons are rounded. Same goes with album 'arrows' (right side of album name's) and image above album names seems 'cut' a bit. Should it be like that?
I wouldn't trust this Java simulator too much ... All mobile platforms support html5 and CSS3, and that is why you can do some cool stuff with a mobile gallery that is consistent across platforms. This simulator is in java, probably doesnt support everything, and here I couldnt even get it to show the mobile gallery without adding mobile=1. I strongly suggest you test it out on any mobile device or tablet when you get the opportunity. If you want your gallery to be nicely available also for people on ipads or mobile phones (an increasing amount of people), then this is through the new mobile interface!

masquefotos
Experienced

07 May 2012, 01:08

Hola.
iPad2 tested and I really like, thanks

Martin
Experienced

07 May 2012, 03:34

Yes, it already looked great on my resized pc-screen, but I borrowed ( :( ) an iPad and it really looks cool!!

MichielsB

07 May 2012, 04:00

Hi,

I tested the beta on a HTC radar (Windows phone) and it looked very nice. One remark: apparently it is not possible to navigate between pictures when viewing a gallery (next / previous). I always have to go back to the gallery and select another picture. I don't know if this behavior is by design or just a bug ?

regards,

Bart