Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

PHP 5.1.3 Requirement for Imagevue X2.5

30 Nov 2010, 04:56

With the release of Imagevue X2.5, we upgraded the PHP version requirements to PHP 5.1.3. Earlier versions of Imagevue, only required PHP 4.3+.

So why do you now require PHP 5.1.3?
To be able to create efficient code that takes advantage of speed, optimization and new features, we sometimes need to use functions that are only available in newer versions of PHP. With the release of Imagevue X2.5, we decided it was time to abandon support for PHP 4.x for the benefit of improved functionality.

PHP 5.1 was released more than 5 years ago, so there are no excuses from your server host to not have this option available to you. See the PHP release history here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHP#Release_history

How to check what PHP version I have?
You may want to check what PHP version you are using prior to installing Imagevue X2.5 ›
  • If you already have an earlier installation of Imagevue X2, you can go to {yourgallery}/imagevue/phpinfo.php (example). Check PHP version on top of the page
  • Optionally, you can download imagevue-check.zip, unpack and upload imagevue-check.php to your server. Then check the file from your your browser: {yourgallery}/imagevue-check.php (example). You will see PHP version number at the top.
What can I do if my PHP version is insufficient?
As mentioned earlier, it is unacceptable if your server host does not have PHP 5.x or refuses to upgrade. PHP 5 was released more than 6 years ago, and PHP 4.x was released more than 10 years ago! (reference).

# We recommend you contact your server host, and simply request PHP 5.1.3 (or higher of course). No professional server host should have any reason to refuse this.

# You may want to check your control panel, as some hosting have controls for selecting PHP version for your domain.