Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

Integrating Social Media into Imagevue X2

07 Oct 2010, 12:26

We are hoping to integrate social media sharing into Imagevue with the next release. In regards to this, it would be interesting to first ask what people want in terms of share and connect buttons. First of all, there are a few different aspects to consider:

1. Facebook LIKE and Twitter TWEET button
These popular options, which are usually embedded into HTML-pages, are based on javascript and iframe running directly from the services. Therefore they can not be directly integrated into the Imagevue flash. We would have to create a solution where these html modules were "floating" above the SWF. We can place them where we want, but they would not interact in any fluid way with any elements being displayed in the flash. Therefore, the positioning of these item would have to be a compromise.

2. General SHARE buttons
A more flexible solution, would be to integrate "share" icons (something like these) directly into Imagevue. I imagine a solution, where there is a "share" text/icon at the side of screen, and when visitor rolls over this, all the required sharing-buttons would pop out, and the visitor could click any of them to share the current page. The sharing options (what services to include), would be defined in settings.

3. "Follow Me" on various Social Media
Finally, some users may also wish to announce their social media pages for example at Twitter and Facebook, so that visitors can "follow" them. This is of course not the same as "sharing", because these links would go directly to the owners specific pages on Twitter, Facebook etc.

As you can imagine, we are facing the problem of bloating the interface if we want all these options. Please reply if you have any comments, suggestions or requirements in regards to social media buttons. What do YOU want in your Imagevue gallery? =)

Patrick_D1985
Experienced

Re: Integrating Social Media into Imagevue X2

07 Oct 2010, 17:40

Option 2 has my vote.
Making Imagevue shareable is a real nice addition. Not crucial but nice :)

Option 1 is ok but if it is hard work to get it into Imagevue I say dont go that way.
This is a feature not a necessary component of the gallery. I guess im not the only one thinking this.

Option 3 is like you put it yourself redirecting and not sharing.
Therefore in my opinion option 2 would be best.

As for Option 2;
Maybe its possible to use something like addthis for this.
(http://www.addthis.com/)
PFSquad : Party Freakz Online
Owner / Webmaster / Administrator / Head of Photography

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

08 Oct 2010, 01:08

I was thinking, perhaps we could combine #2 and #3 in some way. When visitor rollos over the "share" button, it could display the "share" buttons, and also a separated section with "follow me" ...

I checked out the addthis - http://www.addthis.com/help/flash-examples - I think this won't help us much because I think it requires that everyone has an addthis account. Besides, I didn't find their examples very nice and its probably better doing this from base.

Thanks for your feedback.

Moh
Experienced

08 Oct 2010, 13:23

I would vote for all three... but if I had to prioritize them, they would be in the following order:

1- Facebook Like / Twitter Tweet
2- "Follow Me" links/buttons
3- General Share buttons

Thanks!
'The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear'

Shadow3D

09 Oct 2010, 04:21

I used www.AddToAny.com for my site www.LucidMagazine.net it is pretty customizable. You can find it at the very bottom right of the site on a button that says "Share This Page".
mjau-mjau wrote:I was thinking, perhaps we could combine #2 and #3 in some way. When visitor rollos over the "share" button, it could display the "share" buttons, and also a separated section with "follow me" ...

I checked out the addthis - http://www.addthis.com/help/flash-examples - I think this won't help us much because I think it requires that everyone has an addthis account. Besides, I didn't find their examples very nice and its probably better doing this from base.

Thanks for your feedback.

winph
Experienced

11 Oct 2010, 00:35

#2 and #3 for me.
#1 would also be nice but it might sacrifice the design.

InoculateIT
Experienced

17 Oct 2010, 06:38

Looking very much forward to this fewture :D

I vote for all 3 :)
The spelling mistakes has been inserted automatically of consideration to the people who find a great pleasure to search for it...

JK

17 Oct 2010, 06:52

I'm not really into the whole social media hype. The most important thing for me would be the ability to disable these functions and off-course integrating them nicely into the minimalistic setting of the gallery (in other words: small buttons, no flashy colors). Perhaps I will use the share this on Twitter function, I'm not a big fan of the facebook like function for numerous of reasons.

Feichti

18 Oct 2010, 07:11

For me all 3 Options would be good.

carter2
Experienced

19 Oct 2010, 11:06

Option 2 sounds right for me. Selfish? yes :lol:

er1ck

12 Nov 2010, 05:04

Option 1 asap please!

think its the easiest way to bring your message in the world!

fotoquid
Experienced

25 Nov 2010, 02:43

#2 and #3 also for me.

Thanks! :-)

Antonio

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

30 Nov 2010, 02:50

Just a small update here. I did some testing with option #1, and it is not very practical or flexible. This option will be documented separately in a tutorial, and will not be part of an official release.

We hope to have #2 and #3 integrated for Imagevue X2.6 which is to be released for Christmas!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

26 Jan 2011, 08:51

We added some Social Media sharing with Imagevue X2.6 - Read more:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6653

Documentation for Sharing and Social Media in Imagevue:
https://www.photo.gallery/blog/social-media-sharing/