Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

macarius

Re: Shopping cart/e-commerce integration > FOTOMO -Comments?

29 Mar 2011, 23:21

Didn't catch when this may be available. Add to cart button exists, but no instructions as to how to setup the integration.

Please advise if this will be available and maybe ECD.

Thank you kindly! Keep up the hard work!

V/r,
Mac

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

30 Mar 2011, 02:37

Fotomoto will be available in next release X2.7 which is underway and to be released soon ...

macarius

30 Mar 2011, 13:25

:D Good work, gents!

swamphox
Experienced

31 Mar 2011, 08:42

A 15% cut is out of the question. I would not use it. That 15% cut would add up very fast and there is no cap. I really do not like this percentage payout of ecommerce. I really like redcart but at 1K it is a little hard to swallow. I don't think most people realize how much this is going to cost them in the long run. Photocart is another option that is much more reasonable. This is where I will go if you choose to use fotomoto. I can't tell how much I dislike the idea of paying someone for a cut and I hope others that feel the same way speak up. I think this is a bad idea and I would hate to be charged extra for a service where I consider the fees to be confiscatory.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

31 Mar 2011, 09:42

swamphox wrote:A 15% cut is out of the question. I would not use it. That 15% cut would add up very fast and there is no cap. I really do not like this percentage payout of ecommerce. I really like redcart but at 1K it is a little hard to swallow. I don't think most people realize how much this is going to cost them in the long run. Photocart is another option that is much more reasonable. This is where I will go if you choose to use fotomoto. I can't tell how much I dislike the idea of paying someone for a cut and I hope others that feel the same way speak up. I think this is a bad idea and I would hate to be charged extra for a service where I consider the fees to be confiscatory.
This has been discussed earlier, and obviously this service is not for everyone. This is an end-to-end service which allows us to integrate a functional/usable cart into Imagevue, which no other solution really allows.

As for the 15%, of course some people simply won't accept this. keep in mind, it includes approximately 5% for credit card processing (not taken by Fotmoto), so realistically we are speaking about 10%. Taking into consideration everything else is entirely free, I thing it can be argued how expensive the service is. A large bulk of our users just want the option to sell their photography, while the alternative is to not be able to sell ... You could price an image at 55$ instead of 50$, and your 10% is gained back.

Also, these other carts you speak of, you can not "integrate" them with Imagevue. It is not our "choice" to choose to go with Fotmoto ... It is an optional complete cart feature, that will suit some, but not all. We can NOT choose to "go with" photocart. These are not options for us, as they are simply separate gallery solutions ... So, in the end you are not only considering Fotomoto at 15% vs. Photocart at 329$ - You are considering Imagevue interface+Fotmoto vs Photocart interface. If Photocart suits you better than the Imagevue combo, then by all means you should go with Photocart. Imagevue is not a full-fledged photo e-commerce system, although with Fotomoto, it almost will be (for those who can live with Fotomoto). If you want a dedicated e-commerce site for your photos, you would need to choose a solution built from ground up for this purpose, that perhaps lacks some of the aesthetic value of Imagevue.

Defiant
Experienced

04 Apr 2011, 05:31

is there also a possibility to just have a shopping cart that will be sent to my email? i have customers that know me and would like to order without mailing me image numbers. I do not need the 'paypal/cc' feature...

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

04 Apr 2011, 07:09

Defiant wrote:is there also a possibility to just have a shopping cart that will be sent to my email? i have customers that know me and would like to order without mailing me image numbers. I do not need the 'paypal/cc' feature...
I think Fotomoto is working on a "self-fulfillment" option which would allow you to handle the print+shipping yourself. I will check with them the status of this and get back to you ...

From a technical aspect, I just want to remind users out there why we simply do not have the capacity to integrate a dedicated standalone e-commerce solution into Imagevue. We would be expected to build a system that supports an interface where the visitor can choose standard prints, canvas prints, digital downloads, dozens of different sizes, Matte, glossy, lustre, license types etc., and full control for this down to each individual image image. This is why we want to integrate an add-on like Fotomoto which handles this.

markam24
Experienced

08 Apr 2011, 12:54

Karl, has Fotomoto given you a timeline for self fulfillment? I ask because they've been talking about it for about a year and a half.

Photoshelter has a great e-commerce system with a vast print vendor network & a self fulfillment option. That could be run alongside imagevue as a separate system just for ecommece. Or.....

Imagevue can be embedded within a custom page (as a site Portfolio) on Photoshelter. I've tried it. It works.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

09 Apr 2011, 03:11

markam24 wrote:Karl, has Fotomoto given you a timeline for self fulfillment? I ask because they've been talking about it for about a year and a half.
Yes and no. They still only mention it as "coming soon", but they do seem intent on building this into their ever-improving system. They just released Fotomoto 2.0, and I have to admit the interface and improving functionality looks great - They have been very busy lately ...
http://blog.fotomoto.com/

I think there is a general understanding from their side also, that no matter what, some users will only consider using Fotomoto if they provide a self-fulfillment option.
markam24 wrote:Photoshelter has a great e-commerce system with a vast print vendor network & a self fulfillment option. That could be run alongside imagevue as a separate system just for ecommece. Or.....
I am sure they are good for e-commerce. Unfortunately we can not integrate Imagevue with Photoshelter, as they are simply a separate hosted photo e-commerce solution. It can be run alongside Imagevue of course, but there is no synchronization or connection in any way unfortunately, and they have to be maintained separately.
markam24 wrote:Imagevue can be embedded within a custom page (as a site Portfolio) on Photoshelter. I've tried it. It works.
I'm sure it does, and I would like to see this. Of course it's still just two separate entities ...

Photoshelter is 360$ per year + 9% commission just as a reference example to compare to Fotomoto's relatively high 15%.

After we release Imagevue X2.7 with Fotomoto shortly, I would recommend everyone to at least take a look at the interface, and how it works with Imagevue. It is entirely free to sign up and use, and they don't take any commission until you actually make a sale. The connection between Fotomoto and Imagevue is very streamlined - You simply browse through your Imagevue gallery, and photos are added to your Fotomoto store. You can create "collections" where you set various prices and various product availability from your Fotomoto admin(or set uniquely for photos), and these settings will be mirrored in your Imagevue interface. Obviously Fotomoto is not for everyone, end of story. It is however a brilliant match for Imagevue.

Sorry for the delay in X2.7. It's coming soon ...

markam24
Experienced

09 Apr 2011, 10:32

Don't get me wrong. I like fotomoto -;) I've used the service and they were nice enough to featured one of my images for a day. I'm looking forward to seeing the new interface and how it integrates with Imagevue.

....completely understand ya'll can't really integrate with Photoshelter. I only meant to suggest that as an alternative to swamphox's suggestion of leaving Imagevue altogether for another service. I'm a big fan of multiple services complementing each other, even if they aren't actually "integrated".

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to update is on 2.7. Ecommerce will be a welcome addition!

PhotographCH

24 May 2011, 06:19

Hello
I like this Fotomo but!! i am in Europe... so what are your plan for this part of the world.??

Greetings from Switzerland
Rolf

markam24
Experienced

24 May 2011, 10:04

You might check in on the Fotomoto forums. I believe there was something about them solidifying a European print partner. But....check the forums, don't take my word -;)

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

25 May 2011, 02:33

PhotographCH wrote:I like this Fotomo but!! i am in Europe... so what are your plan for this part of the world.??
Their services are global, although they currently print/produce from the US and send to Europe from there. As markham24 mentioned, they are working to set up a print partner in Europe now, so this may be right round the corner and lead to cheaper shipping costs naturally. I found this post:
http://getsatisfaction.com/fotomoto/top ... big_market

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

25 May 2011, 04:03

Just an addition to this post - According to this link, their ETA for integrating with a print partner lab in EU, is end of June.

Also, you can use the Fotomoto support forums to ask questions or get help directly from Fotomoto:
http://getsatisfaction.com/fotomoto

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

29 May 2011, 13:15

Updated Imagevue Fotomoto Docs:
https://www.photo.gallery/blog/fotomoto/