Search…

Moh
Experienced

29 Dec 2009, 15:22

LOL Karl :lol:
'The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear'

jckpalmer

14 Jan 2010, 08:42

Here's some idea's that I tackled when designing my back end...

Make sure you build the core of the admin panel - main site controls and add everything that would be considered a "nice to have" or additional function as a modular add in.

Making the site / admin modular makes it easier for you to control, add to, remove, modify and improve.

I'm sure this has been considered and has nothing to do with user functionality but I'm sure it will be easier for you guys working on the back end.

P.S. My offer still stands to help out, I'm sitting on a few thousand pounds worth of code that might be useful and my expertise as a UI designer are still freely available to you. Even if it's as a tester, I'm willing to help.

P.P.S. For my own satisfaction, I know that the "Image / File organisation" planned for the next release would work SUPERBLY if you could utilize the "drag and drop" facility used in iGoogle SaaS.

It would also be nice to be able to rename the imageveux folder, removing all relation to this site / company. (i.e. "True White Label").

Another thing that would be good, would be a way to automatically upload the latest version of the software multiple time in one go, allowing re-sellers to update there customers sites simply and cheaply.

THANKS!

jckpalmer

14 Jan 2010, 08:51

pain wrote:Sorry guys, as it is often the case, development goes ahead of documenting, but we're trying, also please use the feedback tab so at least we can have all the suggestions and votes in one place.

Thank you for support and your help.
TUT TUT TUT!!!

5 p's

Proper Planning Prevent Poor Performance ;)

We learnt this on the first day of Prince 2 - Methodology.

I use the 6 p's, Proper Planning Prevent PISS Poor Performance, Don't worry though I've only just learnt that a good "Systems Analysis" document helps with the Beta, New Release C and Final Release. I use the Box / Moscow methods too which is now known as - AGILE, RAD or DSDM.

Anyway, if the new release is any like X2 it'll be f.awesome!

Thanks for your hard work, dedication and by far the best gallery software ever conceived!

Don't forget the 5 p's Pain / Karl hehe ;)

jckpalmer

14 Jan 2010, 08:54

Oooh just thoguh of another which may have been mentioned...

How about creating a CSS modification module, in other words the ability to edit all the colours, text, layouts via a small utility that modifies all the various CSS files that control the site. I would like the ability to change the admin panel colour's too, I mean I like the design, but would be good to modify it for customers too.

You could have many versions of this (or many functions) one for the Flash Site, HTML Site, iPhone, WAP, Print, etc etc...

I wanted this for my software it was written in to the phase 2 of the project, and would have happened if the budget wasn't ripped out :evil: Grrr

PM me if you want more detail on this, but it was a 100% unique idea last year when we conceived it.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing from you. ;)

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

15 Jan 2010, 02:20

Thanks for all your suggestions and the 5 Ps!
jckpalmer wrote:How about creating a CSS modification module, in other words the ability to edit all the colours, text, layouts via a small utility that modifies all the various CSS files that control the site. I would like the ability to change the admin panel colour's too, I mean I like the design, but would be good to modify it for customers too.
Yes, perhaps a little overkill though having to make a full wysiwig CSS editor. Not even wordpress or joomla has that ... The admin CSS you can edit as you like of course, but not through the control panel.
jckpalmer wrote:Another thing that would be good, would be a way to automatically upload the latest version of the software multiple time in one go, allowing re-sellers to update there customers sites simply and cheaply.
Not quite sure how to do that easily.
jckpalmer wrote:You could have many versions of this (or many functions) one for the Flash Site, HTML Site, iPhone, WAP, Print, etc etc...

I wanted this for my software it was written in to the phase 2 of the project, and would have happened if the budget wasn't ripped out :evil: Grrr

PM me if you want more detail on this, but it was a 100% unique idea last year when we conceived it.
You mean optional frontend for the frontend or backend? We already have an iphone-friendly html frontend version pending ...

jckpalmer

17 Jan 2010, 16:55

mjau-mjau wrote:You mean optional frontend for the frontend or backend? We already have an iphone-friendly html frontend version pending ...
What I meant is a CSS WYSIWYG. Which you already mentioned isn't done by wordpress or JOOMLA.

To be honest, that's why I think Word Press and JOOMLA aren't for me! I like full control over layout. Word Press and Joomla are no comparison for your software anyway! The FLASH side of your software is second to none and always has been since I first found it many years ago.

I never got around to buying / learning the software, didn't realise 1. how helpful you were and wasn't into Forums then so would never have found out. I didn't purchase back then due to the unfriendly GUI flash admin. I found it hard to use, so I knew my clients would be bamboozled!

I'm talking about a module for the back end that allows the user to edit each part of each page in a simple way. Adding content from throughout, the site library (hidden or otherwise). My software I mentioned to you before was modular in design like this, allowing you to edit pages layout, .css, all elements including MetaData and content, but the wysiwyg wasn't there.

I wanted it to be similar to a WYSIWYG editor you would get from Adobe or iGoogle. I like the whole drag and drop and think that with carefull planning and a well designed front/back-end it's easily possible to create a site that's fully customisable by layman users.

Using interface elements they understand and use regularly from sites like, gmail / iGoogle / Facebook.

It's to do with the utopian CMS cake. A fine mix of functionality and an easy to use UI. With fun and aesthetics mixed in. You get (an iPhone, lol) of course you get...a perfect site completely customizable and easy to use / monitor.

To even get close to this ideal I think you need to sit down from scratch and build with UI/design in mind. I find a lot of the great CMS features come from well thought out and properly developed back end / db.

I think doing it the other way round is good to rip your idea of the paper, but ultimately the 5p's bite you in the ass.

It would be great to see you guys go through from the systems analysis stage up through a proven method like Prince2.

Which stages are you guys in with X3...is this a Vista style ground up redesign or a bolt on upgrade / refinement to X2.

John

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

18 Jan 2010, 07:57

Well, X3 is not something we have in mind currently. For now, we hope to build much more updates on Imagevue X2. Other than that, we hope to find time to be able to release "other" gallery frontend options (different from imagevue X2).

We are additionally working on a brand new admin interface which will hopefully have much more web 2.0 features like drag-and-drop. The improved admin interface will be able to support imagevue X2, and any other gallery frontends we release. Having said that, unfortunately, we cant necessarily compete with the advanced functionality of facebook and Adobe. They have dozens of dedicated developers working on their interfaces. We are a niche product ...

SofTones
Experienced

18 Jan 2010, 08:14

... and very niche indeed.... ( sorry... couldn't resist....................)

May I just add !!! I have rarely seen a site, board, whatever... that is SOOO abrupt in answering questions and pleas for help... I MUST say it's a very satisfying example of a dedicated community...

Codefear

Image sorting

23 Jan 2010, 11:03

Maybe I haven't found out the way to do this yet as I haven't experimented with all the sorting options yet, but it would be nice to be able to organise the order things appear a bit like Flickr, where a thumnails come up in a grid, and by dragging them about you can specify a non rule based order of appearance for images in a folder.

Apologies if there is a way to do this. If so, please let me know :)

frontera

23 Jan 2010, 19:17

More informations on the themes would be more easier to know where i take the changes, for example which is text1 and which is text2.
diferent settings for each folder and subfolder would be perfekt
and at last a manual sorting for the mainmenu.

when will the new release (admin panel) go on?

thx for your great job

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

26 Jan 2010, 01:05

Codefear: Custom image sorting is certainly a main focus for next release of the admin. I'm sure you will find more similarities with the flickr admin interface compared to the current admin.

frontera: I assume you mean better documentation for settings? Agreed. We are currently working on a new site, and hope this will be able to provide a better fundament for support and documentation. Unfortunately, it has to be mentioned that it is not that easy to document all the settings and how to work them ... For example "text1", "text2" and "text3" can all be displayed in ANY position ... So basically you set that yourself. Custom sorting for main menu is coming ...

First we are releasing new site, then we are completing new admin. Certainly it will be finished early spring ...

grüntee

01 Feb 2010, 02:16

First we are releasing new site, then we are completing new admin. Certainly it will be finished early spring ...
thats a word!

thanks for that :)

carter2
Experienced

01 Feb 2010, 05:06

mjau-mjau wrote: Certainly it will be finished early spring ...
You are off course aware that statement will come back and bite your ass :lol: :lol:

nwanko

12 Feb 2010, 08:15

Don't get me wrong, but i think you set the wrong priorities. instead of building a new admin you build a new website. i don't see the need of a new website. Lots of people have been asking for a new admin or at least a password protection function. Will this be released in early spring or later?

Best of luck!

norad

21 Feb 2010, 18:08

nwanko wrote:Don't get me wrong, but i think you set the wrong priorities. instead of building a new admin you build a new website. i don't see the need of a new website. Lots of people have been asking for a new admin or at least a password protection function. Will this be released in early spring or later?

Best of luck!
Can't agree more!

The current website is just fine... I would definitely prefer new features.