Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

Re: Passwords

11 Jul 2009, 07:43

njneh wrote:How about passwords for select folders? Only certain people would have access to these private folders. I know I have seen posts about this in the past. I think this would be very useful for many people who may post pics or text pages for limited people.
Yes, password protection is something we will be building into the new admin. It will also require adaption for the frontend also of course ...

breaker

23 Jul 2009, 04:22

any update guys?

clue on a release or so? :) (i know this was asked before :roll: )

Nick
Imagevue Hitman

23 Jul 2009, 06:13

Please be patient, we're now in the process of IE8 adoption, almost every week a new incompatibility pops up.
firedev.com

breaker

24 Jul 2009, 04:21

pain wrote:Please be patient, we're now in the process of IE8 adoption, almost every week a new incompatibility pops up.
sure I'm patient Pain ;) I'm just curious like hell :)

just take your time : better a finished product a tad later than a buggy product ;)

johnallan

14 Aug 2009, 01:18

Coming from almost 30 years of software development experience and although I don't of course know your code intimately, I have worked with your system from revision 1, with a break and now again with the hugely improved 2.

In my humble opinion, if you are going to revamp the admin interface, this is exactly the right time to insert a database layer in your system. It will give you an infrastructure that will not only make your development life easier going forward, but make it considerably easier for your customers to extend things.

Anyway, if you're talking infrastructure enhancements (and you seem to be), I'd put that number one.

John

sergeng

14 Aug 2009, 22:33

johnallan wrote:Coming from almost 30 years of software development experience and although I don't of course know your code intimately, I have worked with your system from revision 1, with a break and now again with the hugely improved 2.

In my humble opinion, if you are going to revamp the admin interface, this is exactly the right time to insert a database layer in your system. It will give you an infrastructure that will not only make your development life easier going forward, but make it considerably easier for your customers to extend things.

Anyway, if you're talking infrastructure enhancements (and you seem to be), I'd put that number one.

John
i concur absolutely !
a database will multiply by ten fold the scalability and possibilities
by for example allowing :
1. full multilanguage support (folders names, title, descriptions etc...) !
2. unlimited catalog without performance impact
3. login/session share for fast integration with others scripts
etc...

Nick
Imagevue Hitman

17 Aug 2009, 03:57

Well, actually I wouldn't be that fast to jump on db. People like our gallery because it doesnt need db to run.

Ofcourse it would add more posibilities, but at what cost?

Maybe in Imagevue X3...
firedev.com

carter2
Experienced

17 Aug 2009, 04:24

pain wrote:People like our gallery because it doesnt need db to run.
I agree, although I'm possibly being a bit selfish as IV does what I need without the database. :)

I think you would probably have to create two versions, one with DB and one without.

anytime732
Experienced

17 Aug 2009, 05:02

if a db option was used then surly some users would be unable to use x2 as there hosts might not have this functionality?

-- i agree, i think if this is an option there needs to be to versions.. if at all
things are not as they appear, nor are they otherwise

johnallan

17 Aug 2009, 17:36

carter2 wrote:
pain wrote:People like our gallery because it doesnt need db to run.
I agree, although I'm possibly being a bit selfish as IV does what I need without the database. :)

I think you would probably have to create two versions, one with DB and one without.
Implementing a database layer doesn't necessarily have to orphan non-database users. Depends upon how you implement. For instance one little-baby-step option would be an xml abstraction layer (kind of a datawarehouse Decision support kind of thing), or it can be the complete data storage (except the images of course - not optimal in a db).

To stay competitive over the next 3-5 years, I believe you'll have to support database functionality. And you are pointing out the reality of a more sophisticated infrastructure potentially orphaning simple implementations. But the positives outweigh the negatives many-fold.

John

carter2
Experienced

17 Aug 2009, 18:14

John, I can see the benefits of a database driven Imagevue gallery, but Like I said, my reasons are selfish :wink:

Nick
Imagevue Hitman

18 Aug 2009, 07:29

I like how you say we have to have two versions or additional abstraction layer. Gotta say we thought about using something like sqllite - db without db sever, so it stores all data right on disk.

Frankly not sure we need DB yet.
firedev.com

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

18 Aug 2009, 10:40

Just to put in a remark regarding DATABASE. Sure, we have thought about it before, and will surely think about it again. I don ´t however think the main issue here is about some users not being able to use it because of database.

I think it is the fact that Imagevue is a gallery that reads files- and folderstructure directly from disk folderstructure instead of from DB. This means users can just upload directly through FTP without having to worry about sorting the gallery from the admin if they dont want to do so. Many users find this a very visual and logical way to sort their folders and galleries. Other gallery applications often rely strictly on the DB to sort files into folders, and there is no physical logic.

So to put it this way: Sure a database may compliment Imagevue in an array of ways, but it certainly wont change the core of how Imagevue works by reading disk folderstructure. At best, it may help speed things up by a cache(although we already have this planned with XML, which will be the output anyway).

Of course, DB support may compliment descriptions, language and any other modules.

Thanks for the input!

anytime732
Experienced

05 Sep 2009, 13:13

a very interesting thing has just come to my attention with regards to controlling the images within the admin, there currently is no way of actually renaming the file name without re-uploading the image and re entering all meta tags........

maybe there should be an option for this,,,,,
things are not as they appear, nor are they otherwise

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

07 Sep 2009, 02:17

anytime732 wrote:a very interesting thing has just come to my attention with regards to controlling the images within the admin, there currently is no way of actually renaming the file name without re-uploading the image and re entering all meta tags........

maybe there should be an option for this,,,,,
Mainly, that is why we have a TITLE for each file/image. The title is used as an alias for the imagename and is generally used throughout the gallery INSTEAD of the filename. If title is not set, it is SAME as filename.

What would be your main reason to rename a file?