X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

netmax
Experienced
Topic Author

Password protection

19 Dec 2008, 18:14

Hi there,

i just want to ask for the progress of a feature, for what i ´m waiting so long. The password protection of folders, which should be included in V2. Are there any news on this? :wink:

Marco

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

20 Dec 2008, 00:46

We are now right on the verge of releasing Imagevue X2.0 final version, but unfortunately native password protection is not integrated yet.

Password protection will be one of the main features we will be looking into for further release.

otb
Experienced

06 Jan 2009, 14:52

Thats good news ! i hope the PW Protection Feature comes ASAP !
i wati since a long time on this...

PS: The new imagevueX2 is great & i will say thx 4 your hard working ! :Cheers:
[url=http://www.fender.li/imagevue]:: [color=orange]www.fender.li[/color] ::[/url]

chillyware

20 Jan 2009, 07:23

Password protection will be one of the main features we will be looking into for further release.
Code

that’s answer my search thanks

hugoportisch113

07 May 2009, 15:44

hi!

when are you planing to start with the integration of the password protection feature? I just wanted to know, because this feature is the only one thing left what keeps me off buying x2.

Thank you,
greets hugo

netmax
Experienced
Topic Author

07 May 2009, 17:01

This is a good question ... i'm also looking forward to it on every release. It was promised a long time, but still not to see :-(

hugoportisch113

08 May 2009, 09:37

does anyone know if there is a way to make a workaround for a simple password protection with php? I just want to get a password-field that pops up when somebody klicks at a restricted folder.

I just want to protect some folders from public access. because some folders are more private and some are more public and I do NOT want to make seperate albums for public/private fotos.

eissap
Experienced

08 May 2009, 15:41

I think it's not that hard to make.
there are several ways to do this.
one option is to make an .htaccess file. although this is not the nicest way to-do it's an option.

an better option would be to make php check for an session.
on each php file there should be an include to check if that user is authenticated.
more info can be found here.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/features.http-auth.php

I hope this or another option will be added soon.

regards,
Eissap

netmax
Experienced
Topic Author

08 May 2009, 15:54

hugoportisch113 wrote: I just want to protect some folders from public access. because some folders are more private and some are more public and I do NOT want to make seperate albums for public/private fotos.
Exactly this is what i also want for so long ... unfortunately there seem not so much people need this feature, because it is promised so long and still ignored.

What a pity as Imagevue is IMHO still the best image presentation and worth every cent!

Marco

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

09 May 2009, 04:28

We will integrate password protection for next update ...

Please allow me to ask a few questions to those who want this feature!

1. You say you simply want a "password dialog box" to popup if the visitor clicks a password protected folder. This is how I imagined it also, but did anyone have some other methology in mind?

2. The most basic approach to setting a password for a folder, would be to simply have a field "password" in admin folder view. Set a password here, and protect your folder. Did anyone have any other requirements? There could be more advanced stuff like "groups", but I don't think that is necessary ...

carter2
Experienced

09 May 2009, 04:53

mjau-mjau wrote:
2. The most basic approach to setting a password for a folder, would be to simply have a field "password" in admin folder view. Set a password here, and protect your folder. Did anyone have any other requirements? There could be more advanced stuff like "groups", but I don't think that is necessary ...
Probably best to include as much as you can because I'm sure someone will ask for what you left out when you complete the next update :lol:

netmax
Experienced
Topic Author

09 May 2009, 06:20

@mjau-mjau:

"Groups" will be a pretty perfect solution, as you can set up a password for each gruop and just assign the groups to different folders, which will be password protected. This is they way i would imagine to have it integrated ;-)

The most advanced plus of this will be the flexibility to have some "superpasswords" to access all protected folders, and to have some other passwords which can not access all folders. Just one simple password per folder will not solve this, as the people who may access all folders must know several passwords.

But also think about realize the protection also as a .htaccess limitation to the folder, as the contents of a folder should not be "guessed" by some people knowing the structure of Imagevue and trying to access the protected folders by the knowledge of the category name in the menu.

Marco

hugoportisch113

11 May 2009, 13:34

@mjau-mjau

I think netmax pointed it out.
- the possibility to give different passwords for each directory AND subdirectories
- the possibility to set a master-password for accessing all directories

example:
my foto-album structure would be the following:

- family
- school
- university
----- partyfotos
----- excursions
----- making of
- traveling
----- italia
----- united states
----- la palma
- photography

well, I have a couple of classmates at the university who shouldn't see the earlier fotos from the directory "school". then I have a couple of people who shouldn't see "la palma", because there could be some private photos from me and my girlfriend. And then, there are my parents and closest family, which should be able to view ALL directories, but the drunken faces on the partyshots. Then we have some guys from work, which should only be able to view the making of fotos from the university directory, and the photography directory. Well I think you got it now :).

the master-password function would be fine for the following case:
A friend asks you 3 different times about 3 different directorys which are all locked with 3 different passwords. The fourth time you get annoyed and you think "well, I'll give him the master-password for now, but tomorrow I'll change it" (providing that you want him to see ALL directories).

Okay, I think you got the idea :).

I also suggest that you make it really simple. Just a password field which pops up or fades in when you klick on the specific directory. NO User/Password field, because this would be way to difficult for the most user to keep it in mind, especially for myself.

Please DON'T make a global user/password login field. Because everytime when a specific user got just the password for "italy", but asks me if he could also see the "school" fotos, then he would have to "logout" and "re-login" with an account that works for the "school" fotos, but then he wouldn't be able anymore to see the "italy" fotos, except I make him an account that works for "italy AND school". This would be pure pain for the administrator (me) AND the user.

By the day you release this feature I'll buy imagevue instantly :).
...and please excuse my bad english.

best hugo

Pedro
Experienced

same story

18 May 2009, 09:05

my client wants e.g. upload some pics from the last shooting of a client, but ohter people should not see it.

So it ´s more a private folder for the specific client of my client.
Afterwards the client can preselect his pics and order.
Pedro Tirolo

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: same story

18 May 2009, 10:01

Pedro wrote:my client wants e.g. upload some pics from the last shooting of a client, but ohter people should not see it.

So it ´s more a private folder for the specific client of my client.
Afterwards the client can preselect his pics and order.
So, this basically means your client will create a folder and password protect it... or were you thinking of somehow hiding the folder from the menu also?