mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

How to upgrade?

25 Nov 2008, 03:39

Edit, Nov 30 2010
You can follow upgrade instructions here:
https://www.photo.gallery/documentation/upgrade-imagevue/

Since we are releasing frequent updates to the Imagevue V2 gallery, many users wish to know how to upgrade their gallery with the latest release. Follow the instructions below:

#1 - Download the latest release, and unzip the files.

#2 - Upload ALL files- and folders except the folder called "content" over your existing gallery location. New files will be added, and old ones will be overwritten. You will keep your custom theme- and config changes because they are stored in separate files and will not be overwritten. Since you are keeping your "content" folder, you also keep all you files- and folders.

Upgrading from Imagevue V1
If you are upgrading from a V1 gallery, you need to first delete all folders in your gallery except the "content" folder. Thereafter, you need to upload all files/folder from V2, except the "content" folder.

fotografie

19 May 2009, 16:02

... because they are stored in separate files and will not be overwritten...

Where are they stored then??

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

20 May 2009, 02:33

fotografie wrote:Where are they stored then??
In the "imagevue/config/" folder. Any changes you make, are stored there.

fotografie

Re: How to upgrade?

20 May 2009, 09:27

mjau-mjau wrote:Upload ALL files- and folders except the folder called "content" over your existing gallery location.
So - in fact - I don't have to replace all folders and files if my data is stored in imagevue/config ?? What about the folder 'admin'? Are there any other folders I have to save before?

Sorry for being so obstinate, but I don't want to delete anything of my work.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

20 May 2009, 11:22

I think perhaps you are misunderstanding the concept here ...

When you donwload a new/fresh version of Imagevue ZIP, there is an EMPTY folder "imagevue/config/". It is empty, because you have no custom configurations saved there. Now, on your server, if you have made any changes to config, themes or logins, these items are saved in unique files in the "imagevue/config/" folder. THEREFORE, when you UPGRADE imagevue with the latest release, it will not overwrite nor delete the files in your "imagevue/config/" folder, simply because they don't exist in the released version.

So, basically you DO need to replace ALL files and folder from the ZIP file. The only files that will not be replaced, are the ones that are unique in your imagevue/config/ folder!

No need to worry about the "admin" folder, as there is nothing unique in there that you have customized(all general changes are located in the imagevue/config/ folder).

The only things you may consider making backups of, is LANGUAGE(if you have changed it) and CSS files(if you have changed any).

markam24
Experienced

20 May 2009, 12:06

That's an excellent clarification. I only recently understood this myself. Upgrades to imagevue are cake these days -;)
Last edited by markam24 on 21 May 2009, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.

Nick
Imagevue Hitman

21 May 2009, 04:42

When editing languages good idea would be to create your own language based on the one you like the most. This way changes will be stored in new language file which won't be overwritten by future upgrades.
firedev.com

bruckx

upgrading

02 Jul 2010, 05:02

hello all
i'm trying to upgrade my site (version x2 from april 2009) to x2.1.7.2 . I read the instructions, topics and searched the forum but after
1) replacing the files in the imagevue folder (except the config folder)
2) copying my custom theme to the theme folder (named by me)
3) keeping my content folder
it doesn't run. i'm trying to do this on mamp (local server) and before posting this i tried different things but nothing is working.

I made also the test using the original unzipped imagevue x2.1.7.2 folder without changing nothing but it doesn't work , too. (always on mamp)
It's showing only the spiral running at the beginning, that's all.
My old version is running on mamp so i think this is not the problem of mamp.

If someone could help me it would be great...
thanks

old version x2 online: www.martinbruckmanns.it

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

Re: upgrading

04 Jul 2010, 04:05

First of all, you say you cant get the latest version to work at all on local host? I mean, if it doesn't work, that has to be solved before you can think about upgrading to this version...

Now I am not sure why the latest version is not working on your local server, but I'm guessing its related to your server as it seems to work as normal on standard web server. Are you using firebug for firefox? With this extension, you could trace the exact error message or if there is something that is not loading ... Its a bit hard for me to diagnose this without accessing the server.

In regards to upgrading, I think I need to emphasize a few facts:
1. You do not normally "copy your custom themes to theme folder". Custom theme modifications are stored in the CONFIG folder. Of course, if you have manually created a theme folder, you can do this ... but it is not 100% certain your theme will work (most likely it will). Normally, when you create your own theme in imagevue, or edit a theme, the theme modifications are stored in the CONFIG folder. This means that upgrades can be done without overwriting the modifications, but still updating the theme files for example if there are new settings

2. Normally, you could upload the new "config" folder to your server also, because by default, this folder is empty and will not overwrite existing files. Of course, if you simply refrain from copying it over, this will work also ...

When upgrading Imagevue, you are supposed to be able to simply upload everything except the content folder, and it will overwrite all new files, while keeping custom theme-modifications and settings, as they are stored in unique files that dont get overwritten.

bruckx

upgrade from x2 to x2.1.7.2 on mamp

05 Jul 2010, 05:10

Thanks for replying Karl

I took a look at firebug but the fact is that for me html is like chinese. I don't know nothing about this and the first time I did changes on x2 it took me several weeks to go through (learning by doing and searching... ) I wanted to upgrade on MAMP to see how it's working and to do some changes on the actuall site like last year after purchasing x2 before going online and most of all I don't like it to do changes online.
I think the only thing that I can do, if this could be useful for you, to make some screenshots or copying the text from firebug.

Now I'm thinking to upgrade directly on the server who is hosting my site because I'm not able to find out why x2.1.7.2 doesn't work on Mamp and I don't want to loose a lot of time...
If you have news about how to make working x2.1.7.2 on Mamp I would appreciate a lot to hear about this.

Thanks again

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

05 Jul 2010, 12:08

Well, like I said, I am not sure why it is not working for you. Probably some tiny detail that is messing up everything.

I would suggest you simply upgrade as I said though. Upload EVERYTHING except the content folder, and everything else should slip into place nicely.

bruckx

05 Jul 2010, 13:08

ok, I will do so.

Thanks

gpmalone
Experienced

INSTRUCTIONS WRONG FOR UPGRADING FROM V1

26 Nov 2010, 13:43

Your instructions as to how to upgrade to X2 from X1 are incorrect, and dangerous:

"Upgrading from Imagevue V1
If you are upgrading from a V1 gallery, you need to first delete all folders in your gallery except the "content" folder. Thereafter, you need to upload all files/folder from V2, except the "content" folder."

*DO NOT* delete all folders except the "content" folder --- you will lose all of you custom Themes & Config information. Thank god I had backed up my data before following these wrong instructions.
You must keep your Themes & Config folders.

These instructions need to be thought through a bit better --- and upgrading instructions need to be included on the Download page -- user should not have to go poking through forums to find this information.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

27 Nov 2010, 02:25

gpmalone: I am not sure what you are upgrading from, but it certainly isn't Imagevue V1. You are probably upgrading from an EARLIER version of Imagevue X2. Why do I know this? Because Imagevue V1 and Imagevue X2 are not compatible. You can't keep your themes from V1 and use in Imagevue X2. It is two COMPLETELY different Imagevue galleries.

gpmalone
Experienced

28 Nov 2010, 20:21

Hi Karl,
My apologies, you're right -- it was just an old version of X2 -- it's been a while since I've used it!
Thanks