X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

netmax
Experienced
Topic Author

Password protection

20 Aug 2008, 06:54

Dear Karl,

months ago you told me that the password protect feature for folders is planned for the next version ... but i can't find it in V2 beta or its feature list. What about this? ... Did you just forget it? :roll: :wink:

Marco

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Password protection

21 Aug 2008, 03:39

netmax wrote:months ago you told me that the password protect feature for folders is planned for the next version ... but i can't find it in V2 beta or its feature list. What about this? ... Did you just forget it? :roll: :wink:
Thanks for reminding me ... It is in the list, and I can guarantee it will be implemented. We just need to consider what is more important for initial public release, or we could be locked in beta mode forever.

viewtopic.php?p=9956

darktowers

22 Aug 2008, 02:36

In the meantime, you could try adding a password to the directory your gallery is installed. Google "password +htaccess" for more information. I've got my gallery set up exactly this way and it works a treat. :-)

Nick
Imagevue Hitman

24 Aug 2008, 15:15

Actually not bad, I often do like that myself, unfortunately .htaccess and .htpasswd are bit too advanced for some people, think you could write a short checklist for everybody to see?
firedev.com

jpeterman

what I think the issue is on passwords

30 Aug 2008, 22:16

Here is my take on the passwords.

1. The password protection should be taken care of at the server level for large content and membership volume.

Apache has its .htaccess and IIS has its own take. When a user typically enters a dir that is protected, a password box will pop up.

Now with Imagevue. The player may be in a non-protected directory while the content is in a protected directory. How would or how does imagevue pass this authentication required to access the directory?

I will have to do some tests and see.

2. On a lower volume where the webmaster just wants a few people to access the gallery, this should be part of the gallery. Could be as simple as a popup or flyover that ask for a password (no username)

Just some thoughts.

Peace

JP

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

03 Sep 2008, 08:52

Yep, I agree ...

We will eventually integrate some password-access, but this will not secure your images. It will simply secure the access through gallery.