Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

SofTones
Experienced

19 May 2010, 02:19

Yeah... fair enough, but MANY sites tell you "best viewed with xxxxx..." why ??? Of course the demo will load FAST, what good would a demo be that took 2 days to load ??? so you cut back the resolution to make them "browser friendly..." that (personally) defeats my object of stuffing FULL, GOOD quality photos up for my families (both sides of the world) to download, and Siteground server I gave earlier is EXCellent... But, I'm just a poor, penniless, retired, has-been computer engineer, living a life that can only be found in dreams... WHAT DO I KNOW ???

anghel132

19 May 2010, 02:43

SofTones wrote:Yeah... fair enough, but MANY sites tell you "best viewed with xxxxx..." why ??? Of course the demo will load FAST, what good would a demo be that took 2 days to load ??? so you cut back the resolution to make them "browser friendly..." that (personally) defeats my object of stuffing FULL, GOOD quality photos up for my families (both sides of the world) to download, and Siteground server I gave earlier is EXCellent... But, I'm just a poor, penniless, retired, has-been computer engineer, living a life that can only be found in dreams... WHAT DO I KNOW ???
Wooooo easy man :D hehehe ! Fellow IT Tech from the other side of the world :D nice to meet ya man. (PS dude, we're starting to run Win7 but only have a 2k3 server. Any suggestions on why we might be having issues? Gigabit switches are brand new and yet we still get network slow downs...).

Still, regardless if its a demo or not. Its running the same code (isn't it?) and in my desperation I mimiced the site and image file sizes down to the kb to get similar speeds. and I just can't.

There's no real point to be putting up my 10mb jpgs (heaven forbid, not my 18mbs either). Unless your family are gonna be turning them into A0 posters?

SofTones
Experienced

19 May 2010, 06:30

I don't suppose from my comments you can glean... I'm world renowned as a joker ( allbeit a bit sarcastic too...) I don't mean any offence, why would I ?? I do and say what I do and say I have billions of friends, haven't tried and don't wish to count the enemies, but I coined a phrase for someone a short time ago.. "in every Heaven you'll find a small Hell..." ... you have everything ticking over like a Swiss watch, more bandwidth than you can shake a stick at, THE super computer that has to be water-cooled, it's that quick... but the shit hits the fan when all this is no faster accessing the gallery than my poor little notebook 'baby'. Perhaps I'm too sensitive ??? but if I sit here scratching and don't put my 2 pence worth in, then nobody knows I have an opinion ?? Nice to meet ya friend ? :lol: I only have a "personal" pair of galleries, but ImageVueX is far beyond the other 50,000 gallery progs I've given fair trial to, 6 years in China, whew, you can see how many photos I've amassed.. the pain for me was having to upload so much over and over each new batch of photos... My only concession was to decrease the quality on the camera by one click.. I hate the down-sizing, and compressing ( .jpg's are already badly compressed but they can look very good on A4 photo paper... that's good enough for my needs... ( sorry to take up your valuable?? time with my rantings............. WOOOOOOOOWWWWWEEEEEEEE if I had 100K jpgs they would load that quick it would look like ONE photo !!!! Do me a favour?? give us a link to your site ?? I'd like to poke my nose, at least, and see how quickly it loads for me....
by the way, you need Linux to get the best out of a server... only the better hosts use Linux, and it shows...

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

20 May 2010, 06:44

The server is VERY important for the speed for the speed of imagevue, regardless of the caching facilities of any browser. There are two factors that decide the speed of a server:

1. Because Imagevue runs PHP scripts to read file and folder directories, the processing performance (ram+cpu) of the server is important. In the next major release of Imagevue, we will be using an XML cache system so that there is less load on the server and the gallery will generally load faster, especially on low-resource servers.

2. Server Network/bandwidth is important when it generally comes to loading images, files and other data. Important factors are also that the bandwidth does not diminish noticeably under certain times of the day.

Unfortunately, I can't say I have a lot of experience with specific hosts. We use Mediatemple, and are pretty happy with them, but I am sure there are other options which work just as well ...

anghel132

24 May 2010, 03:59

Ah thanks for your imput M^2.

Which plan are you on if you don't mind me asking?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

24 May 2010, 13:24

anghel132 wrote:Ah thanks for your imput M^2.

Which plan are you on if you don't mind me asking?
We are on a basic (gs)Gridserver. I upgraded some mySQL package, but that is unrelated to Imagevue anyway =)

anghel132

24 May 2010, 22:43

Thank you MM!

Seriously if I can get imagevue to work well with mt gs plan I'll be VERY happy. Gonna sign up with them and if nothing works to plan, I shall avail the 30 days money back guarantee.

P.S.

I'll be setting up a photo gallery showing both my personal albums (community photos) and portfolio and wedding service galleries.

Which license should I be puchasing?

SofTones
Experienced

25 May 2010, 08:24

MM !!!!, Not down to browser ???? you say ??? :lol: As I say "Who am I ???..." I just tried my English gallery from the PREVIEW COPY of INTERNET EXPLORER 9 !!!! WOWWWW..... you are gonna be pleased with that when it comes out... Goes like the proverbial " Shit off a pointed stick..." I can give you a copy of the preview to try, if you want ??? :twisted: You need at LEAST Vista (SP2) or best in Windows7 !! :roll:

anghel132

25 May 2010, 21:03

MT recently got hit by a ddos. I searched google and they are spamming their Twitter with updates and replies to customers on them trying to sort out the problem.

If that isn't service I don't know what is!

SofTones
Experienced

26 May 2010, 00:02

I don't think 'service' is what I discuss ?? SPEED is more like it... and as I say, try the preview of IE9, and go through the demo pages, see for yourself how fast it is... it will use your graphics card for rendering, NOT your CPU, makes showing photos etc: 75% faster rendering... I have given it a good test, and my LARGE images load VERY quickly.... the server I use is very good, but your browser is the end result... quick server, bad browser=slow render !!!

anghel132

26 May 2010, 00:07

-> Apologies, previous post was not nice.

I have signed up with mediatemple. GS services $20 a month which I'm happy to pay.

Service is pristine (for now anyway) and web servers are lightning fast.

lowagie
Experienced

09 Sep 2010, 11:30

does anyone has his gallery hosted on one.com hosting?
I would like to see/test their speed before signing up...
Currently i'm using www.priorweb.be and that's fast, but expensive and limited in webspace... so looking for something new!

SofTones
Experienced

09 Sep 2010, 11:45

by the way...... the new Gooooooogle Chrome has gone streets ahead of all the other browsers in the latest tests.... and yes.... it shows for me..

lowagie
Experienced

10 Sep 2010, 03:20

SofTones wrote:by the way...... the new Gooooooogle Chrome has gone streets ahead of all the other browsers in the latest tests.... and yes.... it shows for me..
I agree, but even within Chrome the loading speed is dependant on the server.
In the past I had hosting with http://www.site5.com/ and local hosting here in Belgium and the Belgian hosting was at least 10x faster on the same browser.
Since 95% of my visitors are located in Belgium, I'm looking for hosting that's fast for visits from Belgium.
you have slow, normal speed and fast. I'm looking for the fast and that's why I would like to benchmark imagevueX installations on different hostings from Belgian computers.
An One.com is a possible inexpensive hosting.
Regards,
Thijs

SofTones
Experienced

10 Sep 2010, 04:19

I live in China, and my hosting is in USA, and it is EXCellent... unlimited bandwidth, unlimited storage, unlimited speed.....