scaletobox
19 (51%)
scaleandcrop
18 (49%)

Total votes: 37

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

Imagevue thumbnails scaletobox or scaleandcrop?

04 Oct 2006, 00:32

scaletobox vs. scaleandcrop

Some of you might have noticed that as of latest release Imagevue 17, a new method of resizing images to thumbnails has been set as default. The new method, called scaleandcrop, consists of resizing the image down to a certain size, but cropping away some of the image to ensure it fits within a specified dimension. A few users have allready voiced dissatisfaction with the new setting, as it has a tendency to cut away vital parts of portrait-style images, especially if it is human photography. Other users say they like the new setting as it maintains a more consistent and aesthetic visual character for thumbnails in Imagevue.

The previous default setting scaletobox, keeps the entire image, but creates thumbnails in a variety of sizes. Please view the differences between the two styles in the example galleries below:

scaletobox
scaleandcrop

As you may see, the main differences only occurr in portrait-style images. Please vote and give any feedback in this post as to the favourite style of thumbnails. I might need to change the default setting back to scaletobox if it is required.

For those of you who want to manually toggle the thumbnail style of creation, you will need to edit the file include/thumbnail.config.php. Keep in mind, the script only works for thumbnails that have not yet been created. If you want to set a new style for all thumbnails, you will have to delete exsisting thumbnails (tn_*) in all imagefolders before recreating them.
Code
<?php
// Choose between styles:
// scaletobox, scaleandcrop, exactfit

$thumbstyle = 'scaletobox';
$thumbquality = '80';

?>
For those of you who would like to get some in-depth information about how the thumbnail styles work, you can read up here: https://www.photo.gallery/v2/GDresizeexamples/. The two issues in mention would be landscapecrop and resizetoheight. The other methods described on that page is part of the fully flexible thumbnail system we are building for a future version of Imagevue.
Last edited by mjau-mjau on 05 Sep 2008, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.

jjsneaker

11 Jun 2007, 10:31

I test,
scaleandcrop , fresh, good
promotion on www.jjsneaker.com

wcbert

01 Oct 2007, 10:13

I read over the documentation and my problem with v2 is that it assumes the subject in the photograph is always place centered in of it.

When I shoot, I using the 2/3 rule where the subject is in 2/3 or 1/3 of the photograph. I rarely shoot with my subject centered in my photographs and many times if they are center they are taking up the entire frame.

This has been my biggest problem with Imagevue and I know there is a solution not to cropped the photos but scale them down. On the other hand it is more pleasing to the eye when all the thumbnails are the same size.

My solution is to create the Imagevue thumbnails in Photoshop and manually cropped them so I retain the most important information. This is some extra work on my part but I am happy with the results. All the thumbnails except the first set of photos I upload are done by me and not by Imagevue.

I really do not think there is a solution to this.

Bill
William Bert Photography

Nick
Imagevue Hitman

01 Oct 2007, 10:57

Maybe solution would be to keep landscape and vertically oriented pictures in different folders.
firedev.com

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

01 Oct 2007, 13:02

In a future version of Imagevue, default thumbnails will be 'square'. This means much less data will be cut away from images. However, a small part of the image will still be cropped both on landscape and portrait oriented images, but in most cases this is 'acceptable'. See an example here: https://www.photo.gallery/v2/GDresizeexa ... metriccrop

For those who still require 100% intact aspect to their thumbnails, it will be an option to keep thumbnails in their original aspect listed side-by-side as here: https://www.photo.gallery/v2/GDresizeexa ... zelongside

cstevens
Experienced

08 Oct 2007, 13:00

I agree that the squares will look better, but would be concerned about the crop. If it works as it says it will then great. However I would want the original way to be on hand in case it doesnt work out.

Any news on a date yet :)
CM Photography - www.cm-photos.co.uk

PhotoFolio
Experienced

12 Oct 2007, 21:44

Hi,
I just wondered if you intended to add a feature inside the web admin module that would allow to manually redefine the thumbnails in order to avoid some unpretty crops that can appear sometimes with and automatic process.
In order to ‘visualize' what I mean, I suggest you to have a look at picsengine's admin demo interface, which is another flash gallery (but far less customizable than Imagevue !).

1- connect here http://www.picsengine.com/previewadmin/admin/ as demo/demo

2- Click on ‘Albums Photos'

3- Choose the album you want by clickin on the ‘n photos' link

4- Click the ‘miniature' link of the photo you want to redefine the thumbnail's.

5- Use the area selection tool by dragging the right below corner and move the area to adjust it the way you desire your thumbnail to be

6- Click on ‘Générer la Miniature' and … see the new generated thumbnail on the right … isn't it just fantastic ??? This way, you can really have the thumbnail you want : I'd really love if you could add this feature in a future version ;)

Thanks for ready and sorry about my english ;)

Best regards

Photofolio

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

15 Oct 2007, 00:28

Thanks for the tip! I agree its a very nice way to create thumbnail. However, I notice the draggable box had a locked ratio at 1:1 (square), so you can't really have the thumbnail in any way you want.

I guess there should be a few options for setting aspect/size for the thumbnail.

PhotoFolio
Experienced

15 Oct 2007, 15:20

I agree with you Karl; if you can offer us such a tool with theses options ... this would be really great !!!
THANKS IN ADVANCE :D