Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Google Analytics

06 Jul 2011, 06:42

We have now added Google Analytics deep tracking for the Imagevue SWF gallery. It will be released shortly in a minor release, but if you want to try it already, just get the latest SWF here.

Google Analytics will now track folder- and file views from your Imagevue SWF gallery. The results in your Analytics overview will simply display direct paths to the viewed content. Example:
Code
/content/foldername/
/content/foldername/file.jpg
Keep in mind, unless you have disabled the Html gallery, Analytics will also track pages in the html gallery with the ? (question mark) character:
Code
/?content/foldername/
/?content/foldername/file.jpg
We do have the option to change the tracking output, but we figured the most straight-forward solution would be to simply output the path to the file or folder being viewed. For example, we could add the SWFAddress #hashtag, so content would be listed like this:
Code
/#/content/foldername/file.jpg
However, we do not see any reason why you would require the hashtags in your analytics. It is not like you will be clicking the links in your analytics ...

We were furthermore thinking of fixing so that the html gallery also reported direct paths without the ? mark, just to consolidate the analytics and make it irrelevant if the visitor is browsing through the html or swf version.

Comments / Suggestions ?

Martin
Experienced

06 Jul 2011, 07:12

mjau-mjau wrote:We have now added Google Analytics deep tracking for the Imagevue SWF gallery.
That´s great news!
mjau-mjau wrote:We were furthermore thinking of fixing so that the html gallery also reported direct paths without the ? mark, just to consolidate the analytics and make it irrelevant if the visitor is browsing through the html or swf version.
Personally I like to differentiate between the html and the flash tracking.
Just want to know if people are using the one or the other.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

06 Jul 2011, 08:35

Martin wrote:Personally I like to differentiate between the html and the flash tracking.
Just want to know if people are using the one or the other.
Yup, I was thinking the same ... Just in the long run, in a world where there are more platforms and soon we will have a separate mobile platform also, the analytics statistics should idealistically display clicks on content, regardless of platform. Remember, there is also a "visitors" section in analytics with a breakdown on platforms viewing your gallery ... Having said that, I don't strictly disagree with you.

iKremers
Experienced
Topic Author

11 Jul 2011, 04:47

Well, I installed the update and it's registering all the content :) However, I did notice that all the content gets tagged by analytics with a "?" in the url, so it's consolidating HTML and Flash as one? I did some testing form my home computer using the Flash gallery.

I'm all for consolidating the data, I can see how many users use what system. Just wondering if that's how it works.
[url]http://www.jornkremers.com[/url]

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

11 Jul 2011, 08:18

iKremers wrote:Well, I installed the update and it's registering all the content :) However, I did notice that all the content gets tagged by analytics with a "?" in the url, so it's consolidating HTML and Flash as one? I did some testing form my home computer using the Flash gallery.

I'm all for consolidating the data, I can see how many users use what system. Just wondering if that's how it works.
Nope. There is no consolidating. The Imagevue html version uses /?path while the flash gallery reports /path (without the ?). How long did you wait until checking your Analytics after updating the gallery? It takes at least 24hrs before Analytics shows reports from recent visits ... Also, you would need to clear your browser cache when viewing the gallery, so to be sure that the new SWF is in effect ...

iKremers
Experienced
Topic Author

11 Jul 2011, 11:55

Yes, I waited at least 24hours and I always empty my cache after I upgrade the gallery. Do I need to paste the code anywhere else? I only entered it in the admin under SEO.

I checked again, but analytics only displays content beginning with /?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

11 Jul 2011, 16:25

iKremers wrote:Yes, I waited at least 24hours and I always empty my cache after I upgrade the gallery. Do I need to paste the code anywhere else? I only entered it in the admin under SEO.
Hmm, I did some research and it seems there may have been a bug in the SWF. Thanks for reporting ... Get latest SWF here.

Sorry for any inconvenience -

Martin
Experienced

12 Jul 2011, 02:24

mjau-mjau wrote:Hmm, I did some research and it seems there may have been a bug in the SWF.
Yes, I see them appearing now in Analytics.

iKremers
Experienced
Topic Author

13 Jul 2011, 04:51

Yep, working for me now as well :)

Thanks for the fast implementation.

horry

15 Jul 2011, 06:41

Quick question - whereabouts do I put in the GA code?

Cheers,
Mac

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

15 Jul 2011, 07:48

horry wrote:Quick question - whereabouts do I put in the GA code?
Go to admin -> Settings -> seo.counters, and just paste your GA code and save.

horry

15 Jul 2011, 09:06

mjau-mjau wrote:
horry wrote:Quick question - whereabouts do I put in the GA code?
Go to admin -> Settings -> seo.counters, and just paste your GA code and save.
Muchly appreciated! I've just noticed there are two pages in this thread, so apologies if the answer is already in there.

ruslicus

20 Sep 2011, 11:56

Looks like the code is working properly. Anyone can help me to use the analytics data to show up on my website? Thx.

Nick
Imagevue Hitman

21 Sep 2011, 10:37

Is there a way to display your Google Analytics statistics at all?
firedev.com

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

22 Sep 2011, 02:25

ruslicus wrote:Looks like the code is working properly. Anyone can help me to use the analytics data to show up on my website? Thx.
Google Analytics is for gathering in-depth statistics for the website owner ... It is not for displaying statistics for visitors, and I don't think there are any modules for this although there could be ....