Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

julesxl
Topic Author

A start page with thumbnails that link to sub-galleries?

15 May 2011, 05:22

I’m new to this forum, but I did look to see if anyone else had the same question. And there were a few similar posts but I wasn’t able to follow through. I’d like to accomplish the following:

Rather than having a slideshow or photoblinds on my start page, I’d like to present the visitors with a set of thumbnails that link to respective sub-galleries. The setup is analogous to the gallery menu, except it’s bound to the start page. I’ve gotten as far as
-creating an invisible start folder with thumbnail images
-adding a link attribute to images in Gallery Settings and then inserting relative/full URLs in the Links window for every image

This didn't work and the thumbs linked to their respective images rather than sub-gall pages and I wound up with another folder that functioned just like one of my sub-galleries. Could someone please provide a 1-2-3 roadmap to working through this? Thanks.

Nick
Imagevue Hitman

Re: A start page with thumbnails that link to sub-galleries?

15 May 2011, 09:51

I believe you need to change also Settings > Thumbnails > Thumbnail > Click > Link
firedev.com

Martin
Experienced

15 May 2011, 11:38

julesxl wrote:Rather than having a slideshow or photoblinds on my start page, I’d like to present the visitors with a set of thumbnails that link to respective sub-galleries.
That is exactly what I have done... you can take a look at my site by clicking on my signature below.
Here is some info:
https://forum.photo.gallery/viewtopic.p ... 729#p24729

And some more info about the multi-lingual aspects of my site:
https://forum.photo.gallery/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6888

julesxl
Topic Author

15 May 2011, 19:32

Thanks a lot for the prompt response. Everything worked out. One more question, can make the thumbnails larger only on the start page and, if yes, how? Thanks again.

I'd like to summarize what I've done for the next person looking for the same thing:

1. Load all the thumbnail images into the start folder and make sure Use as 'Folder' is selected.
2.Go to Settings>Settings>Attributes and check 'link'
3. Go to Settings > Thumbnails > Thumbnail > Click and chose 'Link'
4.Return to your start folder, navigate to each of the images which will now have a Link window. Assign the desired URL.
To get the thumbnails to open in the same window rather than a new one, append *_self to each URL. For example, if the thumbnail leads to a gallery called France, your link would look like #/content/France*_self. Also, I find that full URLs (http://www.yoursite.com/gallery/#/content/France*_self) work just as well.

Martin
Experienced

15 May 2011, 23:42

julesxl wrote:To get the thumbnails to open in the same window rather than a new one, append *_self to each URL..... Also, I find that full URLs (http://www.yoursite.com/gallery/#/content/France*_self) work just as well.
The *_self is not necessary when one only links to #/content/France

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

16 May 2011, 02:53

julesxl wrote:Thanks a lot for the prompt response. Everything worked out. One more question, can make the thumbnails larger only on the start page and, if yes, how? Thanks again.
Navigate to your start page folder, and click the "Thumbs" button on the top right of the page. You will see this:
More info: https://www.photo.gallery/documentation/create-thumbnails/

julesxl
Topic Author

16 May 2011, 03:32

Thanks for responding. I noticed the thumb feature in the folder settings before, but I though it might make a global change - apparently not :) After switching to 200X200, I still got the default 100X100 thumbs except with more space between them. Any ideas? Also is there a way to access a thumb's x/y values and position it relative to top left corner of a page? Thanks again.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

16 May 2011, 09:45

julesxl wrote:Thanks for responding. I noticed the thumb feature in the folder settings before, but I though it might make a global change - apparently not :) After switching to 200X200, I still got the default 100X100 thumbs except with more space between them. Any ideas? Also is there a way to access a thumb's x/y values and position it relative to top left corner of a page? Thanks again.
Empty/delete your browser cache, and you will see the change ...

You can not change thumbnails x/y values unfortunately. This is all calculated based on thumbnails-size, thumbnails-margins, amount of thumbs, users screen dimension ... You can't just move it around like that.

tschortsch
Experienced

09 Jun 2011, 07:10

Hey, this works like a charm! :D

I would like to get rid off the title and description above the thumbnails only in the start page. I know I can do this in thumbnails.thumbnails.text but this would be a global setting, right?!

Does anybody know the folder paramter? I have seen it at mabro's gallery.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Martin
Experienced

09 Jun 2011, 07:36

schurdinand wrote:I would like to get rid off the title and description above the thumbnails only in the start page. I know I can do this in thumbnails.thumbnails.text but this would be a global setting, right?!

Does anybody know the folder paramter? I have seen it at mabro's gallery.
Yes, I know :)

The folder parameter is:
Code
thumbnails.thumbnails.text=

tschortsch
Experienced

09 Jun 2011, 07:56

Wow, thank you for your fast response!

So I guess, I cannot only disable the title, right? I would like to leave the description field for a fullscreen link..

Martin
Experienced

09 Jun 2011, 08:10

schurdinand wrote:So I guess, I cannot only disable the title, right? I would like to leave the description field for a fullscreen link..
You can make your own variations:
Code
thumbnails.thumbnails.text=breadcrumbs,pagecount,title,description
or
thumbnails.thumbnails.text=breadcrumbs,description
or
thumbnails.thumbnails.text=pagecount,title
etc...

tschortsch
Experienced

09 Jun 2011, 08:21

Thanks a lot! This is really great!

I think I understand this parameter stuff now.. :idea:

Martin
Experienced

09 Jun 2011, 08:36

schurdinand wrote:I think I understand this parameter stuff now.. :idea:
You have to understand that some folderparameters are filled as arrays, like the one mentioned above... others can be true of false (checked or unchecked), like 'controls.maincontrols.enabled=false'... and others can be text or numbers...

julesxl
Topic Author

09 Jun 2011, 16:11

Hey Martin,

A question for you: I noticed your gallery allows visitors to swap between the last viewed photo and the the gallery to which that photo belongs. I've added a screenshot of buttons you implemented to better convey what I mean. Would you mind explaining how you accomplished that?

Thanks.
Attachments
swap.jpg
swap.jpg (3.47 KiB) Viewed 11806 times