X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

domnick0
Experienced
Topic Author

Video swf background

07 Feb 2011, 04:52

Hi,

I'm trying to load a video as my gallery background, I'm converting a mp4 file to swf with a video converter the outputted file plays fine on my pc but once uploaded into imagevue and enabled as the background for my theme,

I refresh the browser and I see the video swf background which is sized at 720p load in the top left hand corner and imagevue has a loading icon in the center of the page.

The video swf loads the duration of the video in a very slow duration then when the length of the video has been reached, Imagevue finally loads up and the video swf is resized to the browser size.

See link here: http://dominicatrips.com/index.php

Can i be given the instructions for creating a video swf in flash?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Video swf background

07 Feb 2011, 13:00

From here, the video started loading and playing and it took quite a long time before the menu appeared. However, it did appear long time before the video was fully loaded.

Unfortunately, the problem seems to be that your large-sized background loading progressively simply takes full bandwidth of the users until it is fully loaded. This prevents the gallery data from loading simultaneously ...

I am not sure if there is any solution to this, but do you think it's a good idea in the first place to force the visitor to load 4.3MB of data while trying to load the actual content?

domnick0
Experienced
Topic Author

07 Feb 2011, 21:21

I've tried using a 1sec clip which was 17kb of the time wasn't long to load but what issue I have is not the size of what is loading or the time is how it loads, meaning...

I would much rather the gallery spinner showing that the page is loading and when the video background is cached it will load everything instead of the video loading in the top left corner and then the gallery loading.

So that's why I'm inquiring as to the exact instructions of how to create a video background in flash that will be compatible with the gallery with no issue's what so ever.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

08 Feb 2011, 02:49

All I can say, is that your video background seems to prevent the the imagevue script from loading swiftly. Most likely, this is because Imagevue has to load the entire file first.

Your option could be to create a background placeholder, that after a small timeout then proceeds to load the actual video. You may have to integrate your own video resizing functions, because Imagevue will resize the background-file immediately once it is loaded (and it will not react to your background then going on to load additional files).

domnick0
Experienced
Topic Author

08 Feb 2011, 07:52

Okay can you link me to a guide online where I can find the info, I'm not a flash developer so not really sure what you mean by creating a placeholder and my own resize functions

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

08 Feb 2011, 10:46

I don't have any guides to this unfortunately ... It would certainly require some experience with actionscript. This is way beyond the scope of Imagevue. Shouldn't you consider not using a video background?

domnick0
Experienced
Topic Author

09 Feb 2011, 09:58

Video was just the quickest alternative for what I wanted to show I will have to try to make an animated background in flash, I will google and try to work it out. Thanks for your help.

One note for video playback in the gallery it should have a pre-loader showing that a video is loading and set a thumbnail to the video that's there. I uploaded a flv and it just shows a video icon when clicked shows nothing which i will assume its buffering then it opens up and just starts playing.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

10 Feb 2011, 03:57

domnick0 wrote:One note for video playback in the gallery it should have a pre-loader showing that a video is loading and set a thumbnail to the video that's there. I uploaded a flv and it just shows a video icon when clicked shows nothing which i will assume its buffering then it opens up and just starts playing.
Normal web servers do not have the capacity to create thumbnails from videos. You can create one manually by simply uploading thumbnail:

tn_videofilename.jpg

There is already a progress-bar preloader in the video controls.