Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

liammac
Topic Author

Opening link in new window only works in flash?

02 Dec 2008, 19:36

How to create an external link in main menu
To create an external link in the main menu, follow the same procedure as above. In the dropdown box in the panel on the right hand side, select [use as "Link"], and fill in the fields on the resulting page: title, description and link. By default, links are opened in the same window as the imagevue gallery. If you want to set another target, you can add it after an *asterix symbol. For example:
[https://www.photo.gallery*_blank] - Opens the link in a new/blank window.
Maybe i am doing something wrong? i even used exactly the same link as above but it doesn't work in html but only in flash.
Any suggestions?
I purchased imagevue last week and i am very impressed, thanks.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

02 Dec 2008, 20:12

Sorry, I believe the html gallery is lagging behind the flash gallery when it comes to certain features. Allow us to have this fixed!

liammac
Topic Author

02 Dec 2008, 20:27

Thanks for the quick response. Awesome stuff, i have loaded some 10000 photo's and will be upgrading to the commercial product once i have finished loading the other 20000 and mastered the software. Maybe master is too strong a word. once i feel comfortable it is all working.

thanks again
www.liammac.com

Nick
Imagevue Hitman

03 Dec 2008, 03:45

10000 photos? How many folders? People sometimes having issues with large amounts of images, especially when there are lotsa folders. Do you have url for you site? Curious how cache is handling it.
Last edited by Nick on 04 Dec 2008, 02:05, edited 2 times in total.
firedev.com

liammac
Topic Author

03 Dec 2008, 05:56

Yes was working fine, but slower than i expected. i have split them up now to make it easier for navigation. this has got 4000 +-.
http://www.liammac.com/ivfbuk
Not sure what is best, having all photo's in one or splitting up? The feedback i received was to split it. This is all new to me. I will check with server speed as i think it runs slower? so i might revert back to jalbum? i will give it a test. Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

thanks.
www.liammac.com

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

03 Dec 2008, 23:03

I am not sure why pain is so surprised to be honest ... As long as you separate your galleries nicely into a subfolder structure so it's easy to overview, there shouldn't be a problem.

10.000 images won't slow down your gallery any more than 20.000 images will. The only time the amount of images would even affect the speed of the gallery, is when loading a specific gallery/folder with a lot of images. So as long as any specific folder is not bloated with images, it shouldn't make a difference.

The only problem may be from the ADMIN, when doing any operation that needs to run through all gallery folders. It might require a heavy burden on the server.

Of course, splitting into multiple galleries might make things more tidy, depending on your structure.

dezzo

04 Dec 2008, 15:04

mjau-mjau wrote:Of course, splitting into multiple galleries might make things more tidy, depending on your structure.
Karl, I assume "splitting into multiple galleries" means creating, let's say five folders, and then uploading an ImageVue gallery into each folder so that each folder has its own admin and admin password and content folder? Do you anticipate any problems or considerations with doing that?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

05 Dec 2008, 20:07

dezzo wrote:Karl, I assume "splitting into multiple galleries" means creating, let's say five folders, and then uploading an ImageVue gallery into each folder so that each folder has its own admin and admin password and content folder? Do you anticipate any problems or considerations with doing that?
Nothing wrong with doing that - The only problem might be more work in updating the gallery, and maintaining themes/configs across multiple "installations".

You could instead use multiple contentfolders. For example, gallery 1 would use "content/gallery1/" and gallery2 would use "content/gallery2/". They would load and expedite gallery menus from within the subfolder structure of each contentfolder. You could still maintain all galleries from a single installation and from a single admin.

dezzo

10 Dec 2008, 00:26

mjau-mjau wrote:You could instead use multiple contentfolders. For example, gallery 1 would use "content/gallery1/" and gallery2 would use "content/gallery2/". They would load and expedite gallery menus from within the subfolder structure of each contentfolder. You could still maintain all galleries from a single installation and from a single admin.
I'm confused by what you mean by using multiple content folders. You must mean multiple gallery folders inside the solitary "content" folder. In my ImageVue GALLERY I have a folder called "imagevue" and a folder called "content". I tried creating a second content folder called "content2" but could not access it in the admin. The admin only sees one "content" folder.

I assume each ImageVue installation can only have 1 "content" folder right? I can have as many folders and subfolders in the solitary content folder. If I can have multiple "content" folders, how do I access them in the admin??

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

10 Dec 2008, 11:29

Sorry, it's easy to misunderstand these issues ...

Basically, you have one contentfolder called "content". Within this folder is your gallery structure. Folders- and subfolders within the "content" folder are reflected in the gallery menu.

Now, by default, there is a setting in config: "contentfolder = content/" which actually tells the gallery to use that specific folder as your root gallery content folder.

What you tried to do, is create another content folder in the gallery root. Nothing wrong with that, but the admin can only administer the contents of a single content folder at a time. You can toggle the "contentfolder" from admin -> config, so you can manage both contentfolders by simply switching this config item. From there on, you could for example have two galleries:

yourgallery.com/?contentfolder=content1/
yourgallery.com/?contentfolder=content2/

Perhaps a better suggestion, is to create your 'unique' content folders within the actual "content/" folder. For example, create folders:

content/content1/
content/content2/

Then you can create unique galleries like this:

yourgallery.com/?contentfolder=content/content1/
yourgallery.com/?contentfolder=content/content2//

In the links above, the two galleries would each use two separate individual folders for gallery content. At the same time, you would be able to manage both galleries from the admin because the admin administers everything under "content/".

In the example above, the "contentfolder" concept is a little mixed up, so I can understand misunderstandings. Basically, the "contentfolder" for the admin is "content/" while the "contentfolder" for the actual public frontend galleries would be "content/content1/" and "content/content2/".

Hope that shines some light upon the issue.

dezzo

10 Dec 2008, 13:31

Thanks for the thorough explanation. It did shed more light on the subject. Although I could eventually achieve different galleries through a single admin, I'd just as soon install multiple installations in multiple folders. In that way I could get different themes, different languages and different options for the images.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

10 Dec 2008, 22:47

dezzo wrote:Thanks for the thorough explanation. It did shed more light on the subject. Although I could eventually achieve different galleries through a single admin, I'd just as soon install multiple installations in multiple folders. In that way I could get different themes, different languages and different options for the images.
Yes, of course you can do that ... There may be a few advantages in some cases, you can set different options for images, and sometimes it may be easier.

I would however normally try to avoid it. With multiple physical galleries, there is more to manage, and it's more difficult to upgrade etc. Different themes and languages can be achieved similar as setting contentfolder:

yourgallery/?theme=abyss&language=french
www.photo.gallery/soda/?theme=abyss&language=french

If you don't like having URL parameters in your gallery links, you can create files like index1.php and index2.php, simply hardcoding the parameters into the documents.

Anyway, I'm not gonna force your hand behind your back or anything. I know many users who are successfully using multiple installations for multiple galleries.

dezzo

11 Dec 2008, 16:06

Perhaps you're right Karl, especially if we can use links such as this

yourgallery.com/?contentfolder=content/content1/?theme=gardener&language=german

yourgallery.com/?contentfolder=content/content2/?theme=abyss&language=french

I shall do more experimentation when the non-beta release is finished.

liammac
Topic Author

11 Dec 2008, 19:43

pain wrote:10000 photos? How many folders? People sometimes having issues with large amounts of images, especially when there are lotsa folders. Do you have url for you site? Curious how cache is handling it.
Well looks like it is not handling it? can't even get into config page now.
So slow, its becoming a pain! maybe you can check into my admin and sort it out? might be wasting my time?

www.liammac.com/lsp/
www.liammac.com

Nick
Imagevue Hitman

12 Dec 2008, 01:36

Interesting, actually it should work, I just said that you might experience slowdowns.

What did you do last before it stopped working? Do you have ftp for your server? What is the admin password?

I see you running windows, this might attribute to the issue too.
Actually for galleries that big its good idea to have some a server width quick disk subsystem. Something with RAID.
firedev.com