X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

GeoPal
Experienced
Topic Author

Panoramas in mobile phones

23 Apr 2020, 02:40

Hello,
Wanted to ask you why you cannot pinch zoom in android phone a panorama, my screen resolution is 1080 x 2400 pixels? I am using 8k panos directly uploaded, not a full multires third party generated panorama.
And there are no zoom buttons for mobile?
Demo

http://panomagic.eu/360/Barcelona2/#pano=b1
Thanks for any hints!
Best, George

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Panoramas in mobile phones

23 Apr 2020, 04:10

GeoPal wrote:Wanted to ask you why you cannot pinch zoom in android phone a panorama, my screen resolution is 1080 x 2400 pixels? I am using 8k panos directly uploaded, not a full multires third party generated panorama.
Your panorama is 8000 x 4000 px, which is spread out across 360 degrees rotation on screen in both axis. That means at any point in time, there are much less px of the source actually displaying on screen ... perhaps 1/3 or 1/4 of the source. So if visible source is (by example, depending on aspects and FOV) 2000 x 1333 px and your screen is 1080 x 2400 px, it means the height of the current visible source is already smaller than your screen height. Therefore, there is no zoom, because zoom would cause fuzzy/pixelated view, so what's the point?

The analogy, by simplifying it, is similar to when viewing normal images in the X3 popup: If you have an image at 1600px, and view from a 1280px screen, there would be some zoom. However, if you view the same image from a 1920px screen, there would be no zoom available, and the zoom button would not be available.

Zoom amount in panoramas will also be affected by fov, maxVFov and maxHFov settings, but I'm not smart enough to say I understand how they relate in detail. There is also a setting maxResolution, which you might be interested in. By default, it automatically sets itself to the source resolution (in your case 8000 px). If you increase this value, you will allow more zoom.
https://www.photo.gallery/docs/plugins/panorama/
GeoPal wrote:And there are no zoom buttons for mobile?
No. Touch gestures are perfect for navigating interactive panorama's from touch-capable devices. What would be the point of cluttering relatively small screens with unnecessary buttons?

GeoPal
Experienced
Topic Author

23 Apr 2020, 04:15

Thanks for the fast response! I will try uploading larger panos and see how the server copes. File size is already 4-8 Mb. Might also try autogenerated panos in Krpano and direct import, availbale via the new version.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

23 Apr 2020, 08:37

GeoPal wrote:I will try uploading larger panos and see how the server copes.
You can pre-create downsized versions panorama_4096.jpg, in which case X3 would also use that size to create preview images for the page. However, as I have mentioned earlier, single-file equirectangular panoramas are simple to implement, and look good, but they are probably not a good choice if you are looking for zoom levels.
GeoPal wrote:Might also try autogenerated panos in Krpano and direct import, availbale via the new version.
The auto-import added for KRPano in X3.28.0 was for the KRPano FLAT format. Importing 360 spherical panoramas from KRPano is another story ... I would need to study it

GeoPal
Experienced
Topic Author

23 Apr 2020, 08:49

Thanks, this was a good clarification :) Still a great and useful feature!