Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Yves
Topic Author

No Titel/Description do not show file name

12 Apr 2020, 10:24

Hi
small question. I have a gallery with pictues. Most of the pictures have a title. I show the titles as Inline Caption, Tooltip Caption and in Popup caption item. This works fine. When a picture does not have a title, the filename is shown. Is ist possible to display the title, and if there is non title, there is no popup for this picture, or the Popup is just empty ? 

Yves

PS: Great tool, I like it.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: No Titel/Description do not show file name

12 Apr 2020, 10:42

Hi Yves. Do you have a link to this page? I understand inline caption and tooltip, but I'm not quite sure what you mean "popup caption item".

In any case, I'm afraid this probably isn't possible. Image titles basically just override image names, providing better support for long descriptions, html and special characters. When you choose to display the image title in any caption style, the title will always exist, either extracted from file name, or title option if that is set.

Yves
Topic Author

12 Apr 2020, 11:11

Hi mjau-mjau

You gave the response:
either extracted from file name, or title option if that is set.
 I found another solution: Putting    in the title description (gallery) of the picture, gives an empty popup for the choosen pictures.
(I am not quite sure, what's better, the filename, a stupid text like "on the road" or an empty popup ;-)
Bye Bye
Yves

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

13 Apr 2020, 01:36

I suppose this could be added as an option "[x] Display file name if title is not set", although I don't like settings clutter. I will add it to my list.

pede
Experienced

30 May 2020, 15:19

I also have the problem in a similar way. Maybe it is better to have both placeholders independent?  A variable for the file name and a variable for the title? Then you can insert both separately or together in the title as you like.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

30 May 2020, 23:16

pede wrote:I also have the problem in a similar way. Maybe it is better to have both placeholders independent?  A variable for the file name and a variable for the title? Then you can insert both separately or together in the title as you like.
Problem is, many already have image names like "maple-tree.jpg", which will display in caption as "Maple tree". However, explicit titles are still set for some images to override the file name title. If we make "title" and "filename" separate items, it will become difficult to display a single caption title (from either "title" or "filename"), because many images will have both ... And if you disable "filename", only images with explicit "title" will be able to display a caption title. Basically, it will become impossible to display single-title captions in galleries where some images have explicit titles and some don't ... Right now, caption title will simply display "title" (if set), and default to "filename" if explicit title was not set.

pede
Experienced

02 Jun 2020, 02:59

Right now, caption title will simply display "title" (if set), and default to "filename" if explicit title was not set.
But that means that file name and title (if there is one) cannot be displayed at the same time like this?
Title-and-Filename.jpg
Title-and-Filename.jpg (32.22 KiB) Viewed 3192 times

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

02 Jun 2020, 03:53

pede wrote:But that means that file name and title (if there is one) cannot be displayed at the same time like this?
That would be correct. I see your point. The original concept of TITLE, is to have a main title for the image, either coming from the image name, or from the title field (if set). The point of the title field, is to have more extensive titles (special characters and HTML) than what you have in filename ... Besides, many have file names like _DC2345.JPG and want to write proper titles. Also, titles can be inherited from IPTC titles (from inside the image) ... When owners decide to specifically show a title, I think there should always be a title, and that means we have to make sure there is a title for the image no matter what from this order 1) title saved, or 2) iptc title, 3) filename (with extension removed).

In your case, it seems like you specifically want to display the filename, regardless of title?

pede
Experienced

03 Jun 2020, 04:19

Thank you very much for your efforts to explain the internal background to me.
I manage all photos in Lightroom and enter all information in the corresponding fields. Therefore the title always comes from the IPTC field.
But not all photos have a title and then none should be displayed. If a photo has no title, I find it annoying when - after switching to the next picture - a cryptic file name is suddenly displayed in that line.
I help myself by entering invisible characters (Alt-255) in the title field at X3 of the respective photos. This is of course awkward and the file name is then unfortunately missing.  It is needed when someone asks for the original.
As you have already recognized, it would be good to be able to display file names regardless of the title.
For these reasons I have posted this suggestion. If it can't be realized or is not that beneficial for other users, that's ok, too.
There are a lot of aspects that have to be taken into account for further development.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

03 Jun 2020, 23:04

Indeed. We need an option to explicitly display titles (without falling back to filename) and/or explicitly display filename. I just need to figure out a backwards-compatible implementation, so that we can keep "title-or-filename" as default. Else it will affect many existing X3 websites. I'll try to add an option for next release coming in 1-2 weeks. Thanks!

pede
Experienced

05 Jun 2020, 01:17

That sounds promising and I am looking forward to further development!
Thanks a lot!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

23 Jun 2020, 10:09

Resolved in X3.29.0
photo.gallery/blog/x3-29-image-resizer-and-more/
mjau-mjau wrote:Popup caption improvements
  • New Settings > Popup > Popup Caption > Caption Items > "Create title from filename if empty title". In the case image TITLE is not explicitly set, popup caption title will instead be populated by the filename (excluding extension). This was always default behavior, but you can now disable this option if you only want to display the title if image title is explicitly assigned (not replaced by file name).
  • New Settings > Popup > Popup Caption > Caption Items > Filename. Display filename in popup caption, regardless of image title. Disabled by default.
  • Above options are available in global settings > Popup > Popup Caption > Caption Items and page settings > gallery > popup > caption items.
  • If popup caption is empty (no items), caption background will now be hidden.
  • Fixed so that disabling popup title no longer disables the entire caption if there are other caption fields enabled.

Kasperl

08 Jul 2020, 13:58

Hello,
I have an image without a title set but the filename is still shown even though I disabled the option "Create title from filename if empty title".

Here' the config
Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-08 um 19.52.05.png
Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-08 um 19.52.05.png (384.5 KiB) Viewed 3021 times
[/size][/color]

And the filename is shown as title
Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-08 um 19.52.05.png
Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-08 um 19.52.05.png (384.5 KiB) Viewed 3021 times
[/size][/color]
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-08 um 19.52.37.png
Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-08 um 19.52.37.png (49.1 KiB) Viewed 3021 times

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

09 Jul 2020, 00:12

Kasperl wrote:I have an image without a title set but the filename is still shown even though I disabled the option "Create title from filename if empty title".
The options you are referring to are for the main X3 POPUP gallery, which opens when you CLICK an image in most gallery layouts (except slideshow). For example in this demo (try clicking an image). In your screenshots, you are using the SLIDESHOW, which does not use the popup settings unfortunately.

In the case of your page enrico-palazzo.photography/portfolio/outside/ couldn't you just create a simple title for that image that displays the filename?

Kasperl

09 Jul 2020, 04:25

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I'll go the easy way and just add a speaking title to the image.
Thanks!