Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Yves
Topic Author

Change title/description

08 Mar 2020, 03:32

Hello 
I have a problem with description and title.
Precondition: 
Gallery - Tooltip Caption for title and description is enabled.

I upload a picture (Person.jpg) with a title and/or a description.
The popup shows both. Then I change the title and/or the description (local on my computer) and 
upload the picture again (via ftp and via x3-upload tool, both show the same
behaviour). Unfortunaltely the title/description shows still the old 
content. I cleared page cache, did not help. When I upload
the picture with another name  (Picture1.jpg), the title/description is 
correct. When I rename the new uploaded picture (back from Person1.jpg to Person.jpg) the title/description changes and again shows the old and false
content. Seems, that title/description ist attachted to the name of the picture.
How can I resolve this probleme ?

Yves

PS: False title/description is also showed on the picture itself click oh the thumb.  

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Change title/description

08 Mar 2020, 04:52

Hi. This is a known issue, but it can be explained:
  • When you SAVE page settings in X3, titles and descriptions from inside your images are imported into the folders page.json data file. This is because we can't count on storing IPTC data in the image.
  • When you then replace an image via FTP with the SAME file name, it will still have the data stored for the filename in page.json which is given priority in X3.
  • This could then turn into further complications, as old data from page.json could overwrite a new images meta title when clicking SAVE.
If you upload files via the panel, the file will get a NEW name, so technically it does not overwrite. If you DELETE the file in the panel BEFORE uploading replacement file, the old title/description reference will be deleted first, so new one would work correctly. Therefore, if you need to "replace" images with same name (but different meta data), you should first delete the file(s) from panel before replacing.

Another option is to simply use NEW names for new image versions.

I know this can be clumsy, and I had another user with the same issue some time ago, but I will have to take this into consideration for a future release. For now, this is how it works, and you will need to work around it with the suggestions above.

Yves
Topic Author

08 Mar 2020, 05:28

" Also, if you DELETE the file in the panel BEFORE uploading replacement file via, the old title/description reference will be deleted first. Therefore, if you need to "replace" images with same name (but different meta data), you should first delete the file(s) from panel before replacing."

I tried this too. Delete the picture from the gallery (from the panel), and then upload it again from the panel. I have still the old description.

Then I renamed page.json in the folder with the pictures to page.json_old. Now title is displayed correctly. After rename again page.json_old to page.json I have again the old title. 

Test:
1. Deleted Person.jpg from the panel.
2. File page.json still has th wrong entry:
   "Person.JPG": {

"title": "Person in LIpari"
    },
3. Manually deleted entry in page.json
4. Uploaded picture again.
5. Title now ist correct but no entry in page.json

Seems that page.json is not really used in the folder with the pictures ?
I deleted page.json in another folde too, title still displayed correctly.

Yves

PS:
I can edit page.json direct, so for me it's fine (just the question , whether page.json is needed in the folder with the pictues at all)

And - of course - it was a quick and dirty test ;-)

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

08 Mar 2020, 07:36

Ok, well, logically it should work if you delete images from the panel and then click "save" to make sure the item is removed from page.json. That would remove the reference in page.json, and there is no other place that titles and descriptions are stored after you delete an image.
Seems that page.json is not really used in the folder with the pictures ?
I deleted page.json in another folde too, title still displayed correctly.
You don't NEED page.json, but that is the file where all your page options will get stored. Also image titles and descriptions get stored here (when edited from the panel), but if the page.json file doesn't exist, it would get file data from image.

You are aware that you can edit titles and descriptions from the panel?

Yves
Topic Author

09 Mar 2020, 14:36

Hi mjau-mjau

Now I got the picture. 
From the tab Gallery you can add/delete pictures. Then you receive the message Files has been deleted or View uploaded files.
For me the process ended here as I received an accomplished notification. 
But then you still have to go back to the settings to click save. Then page.json is rebuild and shows all correctly. 
Very good, thanks a lot.  :grinning:

Yves