Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

alex.p
Topic Author

Only album cover photos are in Google picture search

25 Jan 2020, 07:04

I have been running my new gallery website with X3 for some weeks now. As I checked
site:galerie.preyer.net
I saw that only the album/category cover images are listed, not the rest of my gallery.
Any idea why?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Only album cover photos are in Google picture search

25 Jan 2020, 07:17

Not quite sure what you are referring to "not the rest of my gallery". I see all your PAGES are available in google search.

alex.p
Topic Author

25 Jan 2020, 07:27

Yes, but not when you click on the Google category "pictures". There are only the cover images visible.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

25 Jan 2020, 11:27

I see. But are you expecting Google to show ALL your images here like a gallery? I'm afraid Google doesn't work like that, and it will index your images as it likes ... These images are not related to "pages" search, which is what Google is essentially used for. I checked your website, and there is nothing in the code or anything that is blocking Google from indexing your images. It simply doesn't find any use for them, which is logical. It's the same for our demo.photo.gallery.

alex.p
Topic Author

25 Jan 2020, 12:46

Ok, I understand. I just wonder because the images from my old Koken gallery where nearly all listed:

fotogalerie.preyer.net

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

25 Jan 2020, 22:39

Hmm interesting. I think it can be explained, although I don't quite know how/why/what the "images" tab in google search should be doing.
  • First of all, it's clear that all images listed in the "image" tab each represent a PAGE. This means Google is categorically ONLY listing images here that represent a page. You can test that from both your google site:* links, and after clicking an image, you will find that each image has a link to a page for the image. I just want to emphasize, it's clear that Google is not interested in listing all images it finds ... It's listing preview images for unique pages on your website.
  • For example, you have an image tintenfass-laedt-zum-baden-ein, but this is in fact a page (from Google's perspective).
  • The above is in X3 what we call an "image landing page". In X3, it would look something like this /antarctica/.
  • The big difference between X3 and Koken, is that X3 [example] displays images in a popup on click, directly from the gallery page. This works instantly (without loading a new page), and also allows instant navigation between images. Koken on the other hand [example], will load a new page on click, and then that step will have to be repeated when navigating images. Clearly very slow and less functional for human visitors?
  • Google is in 2020 a very advanced search bot, which works like humans, and can identify that clicking links in X3 shows the popup, and does not navigate to the "landing page" (similar to koken). Therefore, it will not index these pages either.
  • So the question is, should you focus on SEO at the expensve of human visitors, or should you focus on human visitors? I guess my point here is that the koken image page seems to be created for indexing each image, but surely it is an inefficient way for human visitors to view images.

alex.p
Topic Author

25 Apr 2020, 03:21

Hi,
I saw that I forget to answer to you. The only thing to say is, thank you for your effort to explain it to me so clearly. You're completly right, we should create pages for humans, not for Google.

Thanks for your great tool
Alex