Unblind
Experienced
Topic Author

Flickr Plugin?

25 Oct 2019, 01:12

Hi!
Question or suggestion?
I am with my photos at Flickr.
On my old Joomla system, I was able to create galleries that showed the contents of Flickr.
I would like that with X3 as well. Is not it possible to do that? Maybe as a plugin.
I've tried to do it by hand, but it only looks good on a picture, so of course you can not scroll.

Greeting
Peter
liebe Grüße
Unblind

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Flickr Plugin?

25 Oct 2019, 06:18

Hi. We would definitely like to create a Flickr plugin for X3. It's already been on the radar for a long time, but we didn't get around to it yet.
Unblind wrote:On my old Joomla system, I was able to create galleries that showed the contents of Flickr.
How exactly did it work? Did you add Flickr collection/album by ID to your Joomla pages? Or did you add your entire flickr gallery into a single page somewhow?
Unblind wrote:I've tried to do it by hand, but it only looks good on a picture, so of course you can not scroll.
You mean you used some basic Flickr "embed" code from their official source?

Unblind
Experienced
Topic Author

25 Oct 2019, 07:09

Flickr has an API interface that provides access to content. To do this, the user must generate a code that legitimizes the access. It only has to be done once.
Afterwards the work lies with the Pluging, which as from a network plate retrieves the pictures, in the suitable size. Handling then continue like a normal gallery.

https://www.flickr.com/services/api/
liebe Grüße
Unblind

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

25 Oct 2019, 23:54

Thanks for the info. I'm aware how it works ... The user/owner needs to authorize the plugin, and then X3 would need to store an authorization "token" on server for successive lookups. This is how Instagram, Youtube and other API's works also.

I was more curious how you logically added your Flickr galleries to Joomla pages. Normally, you would set an X3 page to load a specific Flickr collection (or a search/tags collection). If you wanted to show multiple flickr albums/collections, you would need to repeat the step adding different Flickr collections to different X3 pages. You can't really add multiple Flickr albums to the same X3 page, unless we created a javascript-only solution (where url does not change).

Unblind
Experienced
Topic Author

26 Oct 2019, 01:14

It is also not necessary to keep different galleries on one page on one page.
It would be enough for me to present an album or a collection or single pictures. Each of these three things has its own definition in Flickr, so it's separable.
It would not even be necessary to get the pictures in real time, but you could indeed get the pictures when creating the gallery on the server. The user would have to update somehow in the panel actively, if he wants to have a change in Flickr also on his website.
For this, X3 does not even need a token, because you can load and save the pictures without them even if they are public.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/unblind
I just want to upload the pictures to just one place. Not more.
Of course, live show is the most elegant solution.

Many roads lead to Rome...
liebe Grüße
Unblind

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

26 Oct 2019, 03:06

Got it. Thanks for the feedback! I would definitely like to look into a Flickr plugin.

I actually used some Flickr and Picasa plugins a while ago when I was using Wordpress. My only point was, you can't have a single X3 page that navigates deep into multiple Flickr collections (multiple pages). As you already noted, you can have a page that displays a single collection (or album), or a search or tags ... Eg a collection of images.