Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

aRNoLD
Topic Author

Page Navigation button

04 Sep 2019, 00:04

Hi, X3 developers,

I myself newly installed your program, the latest version, and have just registered an account in this forum. Some years ago, I tried the earlier ver which was based on Flash technology, and it brought me amazing experiences. It was cool and fascinating! The latest release, X3 make giant improvements, easy to config and to deploy, and of course to present to the web site audience.

During my playing and trying with the gallery software for these days, I found if I set the page navigation, which is located at settings-plugins-Page Navigation section, enabled with a green tick, it could be easier to browse and switch between one gallery and the prev/next one by clicking the prompted buttons on the side of the browser. However, the words/terms shown on the buttons are folder names, for instance, if at the following URL
https://demo.photo.gallery/galleries/nature/

I move my mouse to the right side of the browser, the scroll bar, the rectangle button "Femme" will show up instead of "Femme Fatale". I often put pictures under a short named folder, but I want to have visitors easily/intuitively understand what galleries they are heading to by judging from the words/terms, or titles of the relevant buttons rather than from the folder/directory names.

Could that be improved, or I have missed some variables in the software config?

Thank you in advance.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Page Navigation button

04 Sep 2019, 03:38

Hi. Good question!

The reason X3 uses the page's NAME instead of TITLE can be explained: X3 is created with performance in mind, and we want pages to get created fast even on slow servers. When X3 processes a page, it loads the folders page.json data file, reads all images, and that's enough to create the page output. However, when it comes to something like the PAGE NAV plugin, we need to read all folders in the same parent folder, and locate the page's sibling folders based on your sorting method. This process is quite fast of course, especially if we can use the folder NAME to create the page nav link. However, if we also need to load the page.json data file for each page nav link just to extract the page's title, it will slow down page creation time for little benefit. Considering page nav links should be short (unlike titles), we therefore decided to simply use the page folder name.

I agree in theory it should work as requested, by either using the sibling page's title or label. X3 will be up for some re-factoring in the future, so it's definitely possible we will change this. The process isn't too slow, and we have page cache mechanism anyway.

aRNoLD
Topic Author

04 Sep 2019, 11:19

Thank you, mjau, for your detailed explanation!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

28 Mar 2020, 11:35

With release X3.28.0, page navigation will now use "label" instead of folder name when possible. We simply "pull" the label from corresponding menu item, but that means this feature only works for pages that are in the menu.

aRNoLD
Topic Author

28 Mar 2020, 23:06

mjau-mjau wrote: With release X3.28.0, page navigation will now use "label" instead of folder name when possible. We simply "pull" the label from corresponding menu item, but that means this feature only works for pages that are in the menu.
Cool!

Thanks for your new release!