Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

hwilms
Topic Author

Email Function

12 Jun 2019, 02:39

Hi,

I cannot get my Email function to work. When sending emails I get the following error message in the JS console within Chrome developer tools:

"Message could not be sent.Mailer Error: Could not instantiate mail function."

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Hartmut

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Email Function

12 Jun 2019, 04:27

hwilms wrote:"Message could not be sent.Mailer Error: Could not instantiate mail function."
Technically, X3 itself does not (and cannot) send emails, but requires either the servers own mail() function, or the SMTP server (if defined). Some hosts (including yours) may have disabled the servers own mail() function, to protect it from being blacklisted for spamming.

Thus, your only option is to setup the SMTP option, which you can see is a checkbox in your MAIL settings. SMTP is better anyway, as it provides a legitimate way for you to send emails. It does of course require that you have access to an SMTP (normally bundled with your hosting account). Optionally, if you use GMAIL, you can normally setup GMAIL SMTP here.

hwilms
Topic Author

12 Jun 2019, 06:18

Thanks for the quick response. I have contacted my hoster, already. Actually my emails at the hoster are forwarded to a GMAIL account. However, when configuring my GMAIL account in X3 I get the following bounce:

"Einer verdächtigen App wurde der Zugriff auf Ihr Konto verweigert."

I try to translate: "A suspicious app was denied access to your [gmail] account." 

Best,
Hartmut

hwilms
Topic Author

12 Jun 2019, 06:36

OK, I have found a way by granting less secure apps access to my account in my Google account settings. I do not like this approach, and I hope that I will be able to setup direct SMTP access to my hoster's email server ...

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

12 Jun 2019, 13:23

This is how gmail works, and you have to provide ACCESS for "apps" that you want to be able to send on your behalf. Else it would only work from the the gmail.com website itself. X3 is an "app" of course, and since that is exactly what you want to do, there is nothing "suspicious" about it :) I use GMAIL for our forums, and I have selected our server IP to be allowed to send on behalf of our gmail SMTP. I prefer gmail SMTP, because it is more reliable than other SMTP services.

You can of course setup SMTP from your hosting's SMTP, if you have email service and email@yourdomain from your hosting ... It's basically the same as gmail SMTP though, the only difference is that gmail adds an extra layer of security by default. No matter what SMTP you use, usernames and passwords are encrypted, as is the email itself. Just like when you use an email client.

Hope you get it sorted!