Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: A particular jpg file breaks the gallery page of a folder

21 Jan 2019, 00:56

Wow, what an extensive reply ... Beyond my general knowledge level, but thanks for the insight!

All I can do from here is see what PHP's iptcparse() function reports, and for the "bad" images, it outputs a lot of additional data, and for the good ones, no. The IPTC data for your JPG's are of course stored inside your JPG's. To complicate the issue further, the data stored inside ["2#219"] tag is encoded in a special manner, thus it is corrupting HTML attributes in the output of X3/panel ... Perhaps iptcparse is buggy, I can't say for sure. I haven't seen this exact issue before.

littlelio
Experienced
Topic Author

21 Jan 2019, 06:18

The 219 was the result of a random HEX value right after the identifier (at least the parser thinks it is) 0x1c 0x02, it was not intentional (by any human). but this 219 combined with how X3 works, it switched the image off... it is pure coincidence.  The other one, the so-called type was 025, which is the keyword. also just a random value.

These mess were HEX got UTF-8 "decoded" I guess, into crazy contents, and corrupted the HTML. Actually I have double confirmed, these HEX data is in both good and bad jpg, as a part of the jpg content. the bad one got it spitted out, because parser went crazy...

I have more than 500 images exported from lightroom, with three cameras. I believe only one camera gets this problem because the copyright information has not been set. So among around 200-300 images, only 2 has this issue, it is quite random at a very low chance.

I hope it helps. Maybe PHP should get updated their iptcparser, but I doubt they would care because I don't think IPTC would cause the end of the world...  :grinning:

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

14 Feb 2019, 09:58

@littlelio: Since latest release X3.27.3, substantial changes were made to IPTC. Read more:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=9734#p44385

I tested the same good/bad images as earlier, and everything seemed to work fine in X3.27.3, both from the website and the control panel:

Likely related to the "Custom IPTC fields check for validity" in the link.

pbhq

15 Feb 2019, 12:12

mjau-mjau wrote:substantial changes were made to IPTC.
Small question: Is it possible to use the copyright EXIF entry for the popup as well?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

16 Feb 2019, 00:07

pbhq wrote:Small question: Is it possible to use the copyright EXIF entry for the popup as well?
I will look into it for next release. The copyright for your images is "SHINEOFLEO"? Just so I can identify the correct tags.

pbhq

16 Feb 2019, 05:19

mjau-mjau wrote:
pbhq wrote:Small question: Is it possible to use the copyright EXIF entry for the popup as well?
I will look into it for next release. The copyright for your images is "SHINEOFLEO"? Just so I can identify the correct tags.
This is not so easy for you, because I write this info in all fields with a EXIF-Tool-Batch (EXIF, IPTC, XMP & Windows)  :upside_down:.

But I would use the normal EXIF field for this, because in this field, the camera manufacturers write the Copyright. On the occasion, you could also add the EXIF comment field as well ...

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

24 Mar 2020, 06:23

Just for reference: I checked the IPTC Copyright field, and it can be used in X3. However, this field is of arbitrary length (some images showed a name, while others showed longer sentences). It would have to go below title and description. Also not sure about other fields "comment" ... This is "IPTC" comment btw, and we can probably make that an option also. I can't just slap all these items into the popup blindly without options though ... Title and description makes sense, since it's logical to have for an image, and also editable from the X3 panel.

Up for further discussion for proper implementation ...