Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

zeroday
Topic Author

Image orientation / import / share

07 Jan 2019, 16:02

I just saw that I registered to this forum 11 years ago .. wow .. and just visited back, and the account was still working.
I try to move my 20.000 images in 250 albums from Smugmug to X3 on my own server. 
I tried a number alternatives from koken.me, cevereto but all did not supported nested albums, X3 did ;)

Installation fine. Import: very easy, I can put all folders with images and videos in the content folder and the json files are upon accessing being created. 
But unfortunatly the orientation part is than not working as I did not upload it.

Is there a way where I can easily import the albums without uploading 250 albums separately? (its around 55GB ;)
fotos are already on the same server.
Its important for me that I always will keep the original images (+ for smugmug) ;-)

and is it possible to easily disable the shares to google, twitter etc? 
Maybe I overlooked something.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Image orientation / import / share

08 Jan 2019, 03:14

zeroday wrote:I just saw that I registered to this forum 11 years ago .. wow .. and just visited back, and the account was still working.
:grinning: Welcome back
zeroday wrote:I tried a number alternatives from koken.me, cevereto but all did not supported nested albums, X3 did ;)
Yes.
zeroday wrote:Installation fine. Import: very easy, I can put all folders with images and videos in the content folder and the json files are upon accessing being created.
Yes. Just a note about this: If you upload files via FTP, you will need to login to panel and click "save" (anywhere) after upload, to make sure X3 pages are refreshed.
zeroday wrote:But unfortunatly the orientation part is than not working as I did not upload it.
Do you have a reference example? The problem here is that X3 will fix rotation ON UPLOAD (from the X3 panel), something that will not happen if you upload from FTP. The issue is because some devices (especially older ones), do not physically rotate images to the correct rotation when they are taken ... Instead, they store the rotation in the images EXIF data. In turn, this EXIF data is used in most desktop apps, and ALSO in browsers, to correct rotation when viewing the image directly (direct link to JPG). However, when an image is EMBEDDED into a website, exif-rotation is NOT taken into consideration, and the image will display at it's physical rotation. Therefore, they only way to correct images that have their rotation stored in EXIF, is to actually physically rotate the image on upload. X3 has two options for this in the control panel [see screenshot], but both rely on uploading the images directly from the control panel.

I think your only practical option would to use a command-line tool directly on server, and set it to search and autorotate all images which have the rotation tag stored in EXIF. Some references:
https://linux.die.net/man/1/exiftran
https://www.xnview.com/en/nconvert/
https://superuser.com/questions/670818/ ... -exif-data
https://metacpan.org/pod/Image::JpegTran
https://www.slimjet.com/jpeg-rotate/aut ... ctures.php

Or, I assume there are plenty of desktop apps which can do the same, eg. rotate all images based on it's rotation meta data. That would require to have all images locally, and locate an app that can batch rotate all images in a structure of folders. The above options are probably faster and more legit.

I would of course make some tests first in a single file to 1. make sure it rotates incorrectly rotated images, and 2. doesn't touch correctly rotated images. It should be obvious, but you don't wanna run it on 20k images without being 100% sure.
zeroday wrote:and is it possible to easily disable the shares to google, twitter etc? 
Maybe I overlooked something.
Yes. Settings > Toolbar > Disable it!

zeroday
Topic Author

08 Jan 2019, 12:51

thanks for the hints about the exif part, will check that. I do nothing with FTP, all with NFS, SSH etc. ;)

Just another question pops up

I have nested albums
/dive/
/dive/holdiay_1
/dive/deeper
/dive/red_sea

when i enter myself http://images.mygallery.com/dive than I see an overview page
but when I see at the left the navbar with all my albums I can press the nested albums but not the 'root' nested folder to see the overview page. Is that an option?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

08 Jan 2019, 21:50

zeroday wrote:when i enter myself http://images.mygallery.com/dive than I see an overview page
but when I see at the left the navbar with all my albums I can press the nested albums but not the 'root' nested folder to see the overview page. Is that an option?
Assuming you are using the sidebar or slidemenu layout then? This is a logical limitation when using the tree-menu structure: The CLICK event for menu items that contain CHILD menu items, must be given priority to TOGGLE display of the child menu items in the menu ... It would be confusing to the visitor if "opening" a menu section would toggle the menu tree AND load the page. In topbar menu layout, this is not a problem, because we expand child menu's by mouse-HOVER. Therefore, it works like this, and of course visitors can still easily access the child-pages from the menu, which after all are where they will be heading.

Solution?
So in your case, you desire to force the visitor to enter the parent page before entering the child pages? In which case, you could use "hide child pages from mobile menu" for that specific page. This means the menu will not display the child items, and instead, that menu item can be clicked. Visitors will then be able to enter that page, where they will see child items listed directly, which they then can click to enter.

zeroday
Topic Author

09 Jan 2019, 11:38

Ok Hide child pages did work, 

Now 2 other questions, I tried to search but could not find it

is hide a gallery the same as private gallery?
how to set a password on a gallery?
I looked through the settings and forum but did not see it.

edit .. found the protection part (sigh) ;)

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

10 Jan 2019, 00:47

zeroday wrote:is hide a gallery the same as private gallery?
In X3, there is no concept of "private" page, but I assume you mean "password protected" page? In which case, no, hidden gallery is not the same as a protected page. A hidden page is simply not visible in the website menu and folder layouts, but the page is still available by link. You might want to share hidden pages, or sometimes you simply don't want a page to display in the menu if you are going to link to it from elsewhere.

A password-protected page on the other hand, is just that, password-protected. Password-protected pages can also be hidden, but will display in the menu by default.