X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Niggoh
Experienced
Topic Author

Videos in gallery

18 Sep 2018, 14:37

Hi guys,

i'd like to upload videos to my gallery, but curently video upload is not supported (want to use a *wmv Format).
I know there is a function to include videos as background. But i don't want to use this function. I simply want to put video's into my Gallery.

Is this possible? If yes, how i can do this. If possible also with a preview image.

THX in advance
Niggoh

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Videos in gallery

18 Sep 2018, 23:59

X3 DOES support videos, but not WMV format, because this is not a supported web video format. WMV might work from some windows computers if they have codecs for WMV installed, but most computers no, and certainly not mobiles, mac or other platforms. You need to convert to MP4 format, which is the standardized video format for the web, basically supported by all platforms.
https://caniuse.com/#feat=mpeg4

A few more things you should know about self-hosting videos:
  • Your server has a max_upload_size setting, which will limit how large files you can upload from the X3 panel. If your video files are larger than the upload limit (which is likely), you may need to upload by FTP.
  • Your server is not capable of creating thumbnails from videos. Meaning X3 cannot create thumbnails from your uploaded videos.
  • Considering the above, videos uploaded into X3 will not display in a "grid" layout like image galleries, but will simply stack vertically in player mode.
Recommendation
So, considering all the above "challenges", we normally recommend uploading and hosting your videos on Youtube or Vimeo and embedding them into your X3 pages instead. This basically solves the issues will self-hosted videos and adds more benefits:
  • No upload size limitations.
  • Web video formats (mp4) are automatically created when you upload your WMV file.
  • Creates multi-resolution streams (low res all the way up to high res) to accommodate both slow and fast devices.
  • Simply faster and better video streaming than your own server is capable of.
There may be reasons you don't want or can't use Youtube or Vimeo, but in general, it is technically superior. Also, you still need to add Vimeo or Youtube videos manually to your X3 website. We will look into improving this in the future.

Niggoh
Experienced
Topic Author

19 Sep 2018, 10:58

Hi mjau-mjau,

thanks a lot for this very detailed explanation! Top support, as usual.
Now i'm up to date. Just converted my *wmv to *mp4, uploaded it, works.

I can fully understand the "trick" using YouTube. Here the issue is, everybody can access this Video on YouTube as well, via the search function i assume. Anyhow, i'm happy with the mp4 convert.

But one final question in this regards. I uploaded a test video on my page. But now the Video appears in the top of the gallery. Any chance to get it placed in the buttom too?

Thanks a lot and a great day.

Cheers

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

19 Sep 2018, 11:16

Niggoh wrote:But one final question in this regards. I uploaded a test video on my page. But now the Video appears in the top of the gallery. Any chance to get it placed in the buttom too?
You mean add the video at the bottom INSTEAD of the top, or you mean add it to both top and bottom?

Keep in mind, if it is just a single video, you could "hide" it from the gallery, and add the video into your "content" section with the following code:
Code
<video width="100%" preload="metadata" controls>
<source src="{{path}}videofilename.mp4" type="video/mp4">
</video>
Then you could also set the "context" module to display after the gallery, so effectively the video would display after the gallery.

Niggoh
Experienced
Topic Author

19 Sep 2018, 12:27

Ha, thanks mjau-mjau,

it works again. I want to display the video in the buttom, instead in the top. So, only one time.

Just for testing a uploaded a short vid to: http://www.n-disk.de/gallerie/urlaubsbi ... erkei2000/

There you can see the Standard Version of embedding and the Content Version. The funny thing is that in the standard version the player is using the full with. But in the Content Version the Player shows a smaller version of the Player and also no border.

Code
<video width="100%" preload="metadata" controls>
<source src="mylink/test.mp4" type="video/mp4">
</Video>
 Do you know the reason for this? I like the bigger Version of the player and border around the player.

THX
Niggoh

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

20 Sep 2018, 01:53

Niggoh wrote:Do you know the reason for this? I like the bigger Version of the player and border around the player.
That is because by default, the CONTEXT module is set to "narrower" width to limit it for functional text reading, while the GALLERY module is set to "default", which is much wider. You can change the width of the context module from the page settings > context > width. Change it to "default" for example.

Niggoh
Experienced
Topic Author

20 Sep 2018, 17:54

Also this works, mjau-mjau.

Thanks a lot. This topic is now clarified.