Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

temabu
Experienced
Topic Author

Navigation missing?

12 Sep 2018, 16:31

This is probably a really stupid question but...

When viewing an a gallery with subfolders, and you drop into a sub-folder to view an image..how do you navigate back to the parent folder view?  I can view a single image within a sub-folder of images but there is no obvious way of going back to the parent folder view of all the sub-folders. 

Am I missing something here?
My folder structure is like this:

My Pictures
-- 2006 pix 1
-- 2006 pix 2
-- 2007 pix 1
-- 2007 pix 2

When I click into folder 2006, I get a list of all subfolders with preview pix.  Clicking into folder "2006 pix 1" I see the images there.  Clicking on an image inside THAT folder shows me that image and then I exit I am back to folder "2006 pix 1".  Now, how do I get back to folder "2006" ??

I can use the top menu but that takes me to the galleries list and home page.  Somewhere I need an "UP" button or a "BACK" button.

Appreciate this as the current functionality means I can only have a single folder depth which is very limiting.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Navigation missing?

13 Sep 2018, 06:15

I exit I am back to folder "2006 pix 1".  Now, how do I get back to folder "2006" ??
I understand what you are asking, and I can see how such a feature could be useful, but I don't quite see how it is as critical as it seems to you. It is quite standard website behavior to navigate to any page by either A) the MENU, or B) using the browser BACK button. What you speak of is often referred to as "breadcrumbs" navigation, and although it could be a useful feature, it is not something visitors are accustomed to.

Also, what layout are you using? Sidebar or Topbar? Keep in mind, many (perhaps most) users will not even be bothered to access your "parent" gallery menu, as they can already access all individual galleries directly from the menu. Why emphasize on going "back" there if all galleries are already available in the menu?

In the example below, why would I need to go "back" to "galleries" if I can go to next gallery from the menu?
Appreciate this as the current functionality means I can only have a single folder depth which is very limiting.
I can't see how "not having a back button" limits the folder structure. If you check our showcase, you will find dozens of websites with multiple level menu structures, which are not difficult to navigate.
This is probably a really stupid question but...
Not at all. "Breadcrumbs" menu has been requested earlier also, and we are looking to implement it as an X3 plugin at some point.

temabu
Experienced
Topic Author

13 Sep 2018, 06:30

Thanks.  The "BACK" button is of course an option, but depending on what you have done since you arrived into that folder, you might need to hit BACK a few times.  Breadcrumbs is the way to go.  Glad to hear its on the roadmap.  Incidentally, do you have a template / guideline for the creation of plugins?  Your automatic assignment of folder preview images doesnt take into account parent folders with subfolders where there is no image (e.g. all images are only in the subfolders).  So, while the parent folder appears in the gallery list, as it doesnt have a single image it only retains the default.  I want to have a stab at providing a plugin which takes care of that.

Cheers!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

14 Sep 2018, 01:28

temabu wrote:Thanks.  The "BACK" button is of course an option, but depending on what you have done since you arrived into that folder, you might need to hit BACK a few times.  Breadcrumbs is the way to go.  Glad to hear its on the roadmap.
Yep :relaxed: The "back" link would normally go back to the parent page, if indeed the visitor arrived from the parent page and not the menu. If they arrived directly from the menu, likely they will be using the menu to navigate anyway.
temabu wrote:Incidentally, do you have a template / guideline for the creation of plugins?
Not really. Since X3 is primarily a pre-created frontend, plugins are built-in. You can add custom javascript to Settings > Custom > custom javascript.
temabu wrote:Your automatic assignment of folder preview images doesnt take into account parent folders with subfolders where there is no image (e.g. all images are only in the subfolders).  So, while the parent folder appears in the gallery list, as it doesnt have a single image it only retains the default.
Not 100% sure what you mean here. X3 already assigns images to parent folders from first image in first subfolder, unless the parent folder itself contains an image of course, or is manually assigned a preview image. It might fail if first subfolder of the parent page does not contain any images, in which case, preview is not found and assigned from default index preview image. Do you have an example link? Are you using latest X3.25?