Search…

Martin
Experienced
Topic Author

Domain pointer and Cloudflare

05 Sep 2018, 03:49

Hi Karl,

Situation: 
I've got a domain pointer pointing to my main domain.
My main domain is being handled by Cloudflare.

Question:
Should I register the pointing domain in Cloudflare too?

Martin

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Domain pointer and Cloudflare

05 Sep 2018, 05:00

Martin wrote:Question:
This is not really necessary. You don't technically have any "traffic" on the redirected domain, and Cloudflare would not provide any benefit. As long as your existing redirect already works, all traffic will be directed to the cloudflare-managed domain anyway.

If you want to get into detail, there would be two immensely TINY benefits by adding the pointing domain to Cloudflare:
  1. If you set up the the redirect in Cloudflare "page rules", the redirect itself may be slightly faster since the rule would execute from one of Cloudflare's 100's of POP servers in closer geographical location to the request. We are likely speaking milliseconds difference.
  2. From a paranoid-security perspective, in theory one could argue that a hacker can get the server IP of your pointing domain, which is likely the same as your main domain. That would not be possible if the domain was routed through Cloudflare. However, it is not really a "threat" realistically speaking just because someone knows the IP of the server.

Martin
Experienced
Topic Author

Re: Domain pointer and Cloudflare

05 Sep 2018, 05:20

mjau-mjau wrote:
Martin wrote:Question:
This is not really necessary. You don't technically have any "traffic" on the redirected domain, and Cloudflare would not provide any benefit. As long as your existing redirect already works, all traffic will be directed to the cloudflare-managed domain anyway.
Thnx for this in-depth answer!
I won't register the domain pointer in Cloudflare then...