Search…

elpd
Experienced
Topic Author

Few things: page navigation label, capital letters date, cut off background

29 Jul 2018, 11:34

Hi,

I have a few questions:
  1. Now the page navigation title's are the folder names. In my case that looks strange because of SEO optimized folder names. Is it possible to change this to the label names?
  2. I use the timeago date format on my website. When i show the 'date' item in my context every word is written with capital letters. Can i change this? BTW, it is showing correctly when i add this 'date' item to a caption overlay in the folder part.
    Look here: https://www.erikfotografie.nl/blog/
  3. When there is not enough content to fill the full page (for example on a big high resolution screen or with very little content), the background is cut off at the end of the content. Is there a way to fix this?
I hope you can help me with fixing these things, many thanks!

Erik

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Few things: page navigation label, capital letters date, cut off background

29 Jul 2018, 12:00

elpd wrote:Now the page navigation title's are the folder names. In my case that looks strange because of SEO optimized folder names. Is it possible to change this to the label names?
I would have to disagree with your SEO-optimized-URL approach. Doubling up on keywords in the url is not the way to go, and Google wants your url's to be as nice as possible for humans. Nothing wrong with using multiple words, but you kinda have duplicate phrases that are less useful for human visitors. In my educated opinion, your URL should basically be a "short title" when -hyphens- are removed. Label is ultimately meant because MENU-labels should often be EVEN SHORTER than the url and title, so it fits nicely in the menu.

Anyway, unfortunately this is not currently possible. We had to make a compromise when considering page-creation efficiency. If we want to get labels of sibling pages, we would need to load the page data for sibling pages, just to get the "label", as opposed to just using the URL. I will consider this again.
elpd wrote:I use the timeago date format on my website. When i show the 'date' item in my context every word is written with capital letters. Can i change this? BTW, it is showing correctly when i add this 'date' item to a caption overlay in the folder part.
Look here: https://www.erikfotografie.nl/blog/
I can't see the uppercase in effect. Did you remove it from this page? Not quite sure where you mean ... perhaps it's part of the official Dutch "timeago" plugin translation of times.
elpd wrote:When there is not enough content to fill the full page (for example on a big high resolution screen or with very little content), the background is cut off at the end of the content. Is there a way to fix this?
This is a bit dodgy, and may be a result of the sidebar layout somehow. You can try to add the following in Settings > Custom > Custom CSS:
Code
.sb-site-container > div {
  min-height: 100vh;
}

elpd
Experienced
Topic Author

29 Jul 2018, 12:12

I would have to disagree with your SEO-optimized-URL approach. Doubling up on keywords in the url is not the way to go, and Google wants your url's to be as nice as possible for humans. Nothing wrong with using multiple words, but you kinda have duplicate phrases that are less useful for human visitors. In my educated opinion, your URL should basically be a "short title" when -hyphens- are removed. Label is ultimately meant because MENU-labels should often be EVEN SHORTER than the url and title, so it fits nicely in the menu.
I will reconsider changing the foldernames, thanks for you opinion.
I can't see the uppercase in effect. Did you remove it from this page? Not quite sure where you mean ... perhaps it's part of the official Dutch "timeago" plugin translation of times.
Here you can see it: https://www.erikfotografie.nl/blog/de-w ... orwegbouw/
Code
.sb-site-container > div {
  min-height: 100vh;
}
This works, thanks!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

29 Jul 2018, 12:16

:) My browser is English, but definitely lower case here.

Your is loading the dutch version I assume, but according to the SOURCE, that is in lower case also:
https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/timeago@1. ... eago.nl.js

elpd
Experienced
Topic Author

29 Jul 2018, 12:27

Hahaha...i call this uppercase but off course not he whole word. Only the first letter of each word is uppercase. I want to have it all lowercase or only the first word uppercase. At least in dutch that is common ;-)
On the blog page I showed you how i like it and then you can see the difference too.

elpd
Experienced
Topic Author

29 Jul 2018, 12:28

Correction: not the first word but first letter ;-)

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

30 Jul 2018, 01:21

So you mean you want the page in your screenshot to display "2 Maanden Geleden" right? The official dutch timeago translation is in lowercase, but we can fix that with custom CSS:
Code
.timeago {
  text-transform: capitalize;
}