Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

eskimo121
Experienced
Topic Author

Select Multiple folders in Gallery Assets

24 Jul 2018, 20:52

I want to create a new menu item "downloads" with all the pics from my other folders in a grid format (the usual galleries are in slider format).
So I created a new menu item/folder , Gallery set to Grid and under Advanced --->Gallery Assets(Load gallery images from a different page) , but I can only choose ONE folder. I cannot place a comma like in the case of page classes etc to choose/type in other folders neither can I choose any "Home" folder that gets me ALL images of All my galleries displayed in this page.
How do I go about this ? 

ps: wish there was also an optional "back to top" icon/button

ps: Also, as you can see on this page,  the scroll bar is already so tiny for 300 pics   
Code
https://amazingpics.net/download/
...the page is loading all the empty frames at once. I think it will be crazy if there are pics in the thousands.
Thanks.

Bored? Browse through some cool images: Amazing Pictures

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Select Multiple folders in Gallery Assets

25 Jul 2018, 04:49

eskimo121 wrote: I want to create a new menu item "downloads" with all the pics from my other folders in a grid format (the usual galleries are in slider format).
So I created a new menu item/folder , Gallery set to Grid and under Advanced --->Gallery Assets(Load gallery images from a different page) , but I can only choose ONE folder. I cannot place a comma like in the case of page classes etc to choose/type in other folders neither can I choose any "Home" folder that gets me ALL images of All my galleries displayed in this page.
How do I go about this ?
Unfortunately multi-galleries is not a feature in X3. As it is not, you can set a page to load gallery from a DIFFERENT page, instead of itself ... It's that simple. Adding multi-galleries would be an interesting feature, but is also a technical challenge, as the page would need to loop through multiple folder to get all images in all galleries. I will add it to my LIST and consider it for a future update.
eskimo121 wrote:ps: wish there was also an optional "back to top" icon/button
There is a scroll to top button at the bottom of the page of course. I guess you mean you want a button that is FIXED (always available) on screen?
eskimo121 wrote:ps: Also, as you can see on this page,  the scroll bar is already so tiny for 300 pics   
Code
https://amazingpics.net/download/
X3 doesn't affect the scrollbar. Besides, most visitors now use trackpad, or swipe, or mouse-wheel to scroll now, in which case the scrollbar DRAG element is just an indicator of position anyway. Naturally, if you have a very long page, this will happen to the scrollbar.
eskimo121 wrote:...the page is loading all the empty frames at once. I think it will be crazy if there are pics in the thousands.
X3 doesn't "load" empty frames. They are just empty placeholders created for the chosen layout. The images inside the placeholders will only start to load once they appear in the visitors visible viewport.

Having lots of images in a single page will never be a 100% optimal scenario.

eskimo121
Experienced
Topic Author

28 Jul 2018, 22:05

1. What I meant is that when a page with many pics in Grid format is loaded, the page does not load like Google images infinite scrolling i,e. normal scroll bar which shortens due to increasing page length as users scroll down. But instead it seems to load something that causes the page scroll bar to appear tiny as if the whole page has already been loaded...
2. And, Yes I was asking about having an optional Back to Top button somewhere on the side corner of a page. Useful in scenarios like this : 
https://amazingpics.net/download/     where people may want to access the menu without going all the way to the bottom/top.
Thanks.

Bored? Browse through some cool images: Amazing Pictures

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

29 Jul 2018, 00:26

eskimo121 wrote:1. What I meant is that when a page with many pics in Grid format is loaded, the page does not load like Google images infinite scrolling i,e. normal scroll bar which shortens due to increasing page length as users scroll down. But instead it seems to load something that causes the page scroll bar to appear tiny as if the whole page has already been loaded...
Sure, I get it. Google of course will always be loading an infinite amount of images, whereas an X3 gallery will always be limited. Furthermore, unlike Google, all the image data (paths) are already loaded into the X3 page. Technically, the only difference would be to "not" populate empty placeholders, just for the benefit of the visual appearance of the scrollbar. Furthermore, did you try this on Mac and all mobile browsers? Do you actually drag the scrollbar with your mouse instead off using some mousewheel? It's increasingly normal to not use the scrollbar anymore with emerging trackpads and touch scrolling mechanisms, also on Windows. It's just used as a visual cue.

I will note your request of course. Personally, I can't see much advantage, and there are disadvantages also.
eskimo121 wrote:2. And, Yes I was asking about having an optional Back to Top button somewhere on the side corner of a page. Useful in scenarios like this : 
https://amazingpics.net/download/     where people may want to access the menu without going all the way to the bottom/top.
I will add this to our list. Personally I am not a big fan of this either. All OS platforms have a keyboard shortcut to quickly go to top of screen, and on mobile devices one would simply tap top of browser to automatically navigate to top of screen. Furthermore, this seems like a windows-mouse-only requirement, since trackpads and swipe interfaces allow me to scroll to the top of the page with a single solid swipe with a fast momentum, even on very long pages. Average internet users are more and more relying on built-in OS/browser mechanisms, which they are already used to, to achieve these operations. It is definitely a consideration to avoid non-standard per-website browser mechanisms.

Speaking of Google images, they do not include any back-to-top button, even on extremely long pages.