X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

tomrock
Experienced
Topic Author

What is "Screenbox"

24 Jul 2018, 09:52

And how do I turn it on?

The examples pages contain a sample using "Screenbox" to fit images in the vertical layout to the viewport.

I'm looked for Screenbox in the panel for a couple of weeks and I can't find it anywhere.

Where is it?

Thanks,
Tom

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: What is "Screenbox"

24 Jul 2018, 12:03

Good question :) Screenbox is not really a separate layout, but an "experimental" add-on style we created for the standard vertical layout. The idea is that each image canvas is scaled to take exactly 100% of the visitors viewport (visible screen area), and images are scaled to fit inside (90% height or width, whichever is limited first). We never really extended the concept, because it did not work properly in several mobile browsers, and it has some limitations (you cannot include captions, unless they are overlaying images). However, that was some time ago, and maybe it's time to bring this concept public again.

To enable it, you can do the following from page gallery settings:
  • Choose "vertical layout".
  • Uncheck "horizontal rule".
  • Set "wide" gallery width.
  • Under styles and effects, type in "screenbox-90".

tomrock
Experienced
Topic Author

24 Jul 2018, 12:23

Thank you. I'll give it a try and see how it works on mobile browsers.

I really like the idea of sizing images to the viewport.

Tom

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

25 Jul 2018, 06:12

tomrock wrote:Thank you. I'll give it a try and see how it works on mobile browsers.
There won't be any problems. Because of issues experienced on touch/mobile, the "screenbox" style doesn't apply for these devices, and will simply remain a standard vertical scrollable layout.

I believe these issues are now ironed out in mobile devices, so I will look into improving the feature in next release.