Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Daystate
Topic Author

Moving menu from right top corner to the left

17 Jul 2018, 09:32

As in subject, would it be possible to move menu from top right corner to the left? How if yes?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Moving menu from right top corner to the left

17 Jul 2018, 09:57

I assume you are using the SLIDEMENU layout, with the menu sliding in from right side of the screen?

Any logical reason you would like to move it to the left?

Daystate
Topic Author

17 Jul 2018, 14:17

Yes, I use slidemenu. 
Do we need to be logical when talking about aesthetics, taste or ergonomy? I have notices friends have problem finding the menu because they start looking for menu button or other form of it from the left side of the screen. And finally I prefer left side. 
Is that good enough reason to have menu on the left? It is rhetorical question, I do not need logical reasons.
So would it be possible to have the menu on the left like I used to have in version x1 and x2? I have upgraded the script only to get away from flash as I was very happy of the layout and appearance I used to have for a few years until google and mozilla started blocking flash scripts by default and non technical people could not enable my gallery script. 

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

18 Jul 2018, 02:19

Daystate wrote: Do we need to be logical when talking about aesthetics, taste or ergonomy? I have notices friends have problem finding the menu because they start looking for menu button or other form of it from the left side of the screen. And finally I prefer left side. 
Is that good enough reason to have menu on the left? It is rhetorical question, I do not need logical reasons.
So would it be possible to have the menu on the left like I used to have in version x1 and x2? I have upgraded the script only to get away from flash as I was very happy of the layout and appearance I used to have for a few years until google and mozilla started blocking flash scripts by default and non technical people could not enable my gallery script. 
:) Sorry, I DO understand where you are coming from here, and my reply wasn't meant to question your design or taste in any way. It's a perfectly valid request.

However, to some degree, we do need to consider logical aspects for many features/requests. X3 is already over-loaded with tons of options that may collide. For each "variation", we then need to consider how every other page element adjusts to the button being top left, and menu coming out from the left: Toolbar, article navigation, plugin-buttons (chat, audioplayer), as well as how the popup interacts with this variation. Then of course, we need to double up on the javascript and CSS to create all positions and transitions for an effect of having it come from the opposite side, increasing file-size and complexity of CSS and JS and the X3 app itself.

The most well-designed apps/websites (for example native apple apps or other pre-made solutions), often don't have options at all (mainly because of the reasons above). For us to create and maintain optimal (best?) design and UI in X3, we need to consider these things. Cases where there is little or no logical benefit/advantage of giving additional options, may not get added, for the ultimate benefit of the app.

Furthermore, you say some of your visitors have problems with menu on right? How do you know more visitors won't have problems with the menu on left? In most websites or mobile apps that have similar navigation, you will often find this navigation placed on top right ... Likely because most visitors are right-handed, and it may seem/feel more logical to have a menu on that side, both for mouse/desktop and mobile/handheld. Google has it's menu on right, and some examples here and here.

However, you are right, there is no clear science on this, and there could easily be such an option in X3. Unfortunately, this is not currently an option, but I will consider it for a future release (likely after we re-build X3 on Bootstrap 4).

You could consider the LEFT SIDEMENU layout instead, although that is quite different of course.