X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

GeoPal
Experienced
Topic Author

Europe and GDPR

21 Mar 2018, 08:36

Hi Karl,
Wanted to ask if there are any check boxes possibilities for contact form, in order to make the site compliant with the regulation of EU GDPR?
All those, I am aware of this and that etc. obligatory checkbox in order to send a message. I tried adding alert box, but still it is not the same.
Just asking...
Thank you, George

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Europe and GDPR

21 Mar 2018, 10:02

Can I ask exactly what "checkbox" (or input) you are looking for to make your website compliant to the new EU GDPR, and what on your website makes your website currently non-compliant? Are you using a newsletters or something? I don't see why you need a checkbox (what would it say?) to make the contact form compliant.

This EU GDPR might be a bit more through through than the "EU cookie law", which was a failure. These new rules are primarily to prevent large companies from tracking users and private data. At best, I can only see that you would have to provide some text "We do not share private information blah blah".

Surely when someone adds their email to a contact form, clicks SEND, and expects a reply, surely they are already "giving consent to the processing of personal data for one or more specific purposes". Why complicate things for the user and your website?

GeoPal
Experienced
Topic Author

21 Mar 2018, 10:16

Karl, these are exactly my thoughts also...
Check box that is saying "I know I share my name and email to ... so I can get some feedback" lol and without it not to be able to send the inquiry.
I guess I will just remove the contact form and leave a phone.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

21 Mar 2018, 12:19

You can add a checkbox with some text like that, but what's the point? If the user fills in the form, sends the email without checking the box, will they get angry "Hey, but I didn't allow you to use my private data  :tired_face:"? It's explicit.

Or add some text: "By sending this email, you are herby allowing us to use your email to reply to you".

Why bother? There is no infringement.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

08 Aug 2018, 06:20