X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Thomas
Experienced
Topic Author

Manage folders

26 Jan 2018, 04:25

Hi Karl,

Is it possible or conceivable to give access to another folder on the site than its user record?
The goal is to give the right to a user to manage a page on the site that is not in his user folder.

Thank you.

Thomas

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Manage folders

26 Jan 2018, 10:51

That is generally available with the panel DATABASE-version. Normally, this feature is exclusive for X3 PRO. You can find more about the database version by going to Settings > Panel, selecting "Use Database", and reading "About panel database version".
X3 Panel Help wrote:
Panel Database Version

The panel database version offers a few advantages: Create- users, manage users, and edit user profiles directly from the control panel.

* The panel database version does not have anything to do with the X3 frontend.

How to setup panel database version

1. Create New Database
Create a new database, typically from your server control panel, or from phpMyAdmin. You can use any database name, for example x3_panel.

2. Test Connection
Before saving database settings in the panel, you should verify your database connection with the X3 Database Connection Checker.

3. Add Database Details
Add database connection details to panel settings (this page). You will automatically be logged out from the panel after clicking save.

4. Install Panel DB
Proceed to the X3 /panel/install/ page, and install the X3 panel database.

5. Login
Login to the panel with your new admin credentials set from the install process.

6. Delete install folder
If everything works, log in by FTP, and delete the panel/install folder.

Thomas
Experienced
Topic Author

26 Jan 2018, 11:30

I work well with a database type mysql but I can not designate another folder in addition to the user folder from the users menu.
Modérateur du forum français Imagevue

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

27 Jan 2018, 00:31

Thomas wrote:I work well with a database type mysql but I can not designate another folder in addition to the user folder from the users menu.
I am not 100% sure what you mean. You can assign a panel-user to have the SAME access as the main admin (global access), or assign the user to be restricted within a folder (and all it's subfolders). You can't currently assign a user to multiple different folders if that is what you mean?

Thomas
Experienced
Topic Author

27 Jan 2018, 04:12

Yes that's exactly what I meant ...
Would that be possible in a future version?

Thank you.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

27 Jan 2018, 06:03

I will consider it a request.

It's complicated, because currently when you limit a user to a folder, the panel will load the menu on left based on the subfolder specified as limit. If you want multiple branches of subfolders to be editable by a panel user, one would have to load the ENTIRE menu on the left, and the user would only be able to edit some of the folders ... Also, how would they know which folders they could edit? We would have to use some color coding. For now this is not a priority, but I won't exclude it for a future release.

Thomas
Experienced
Topic Author

27 Jan 2018, 10:01

Thank you Karl for your answer as well as for taking into account my request, I will take the opportunity to make another request, would it be possible for protected pages to give access to users registered in the database rather than to use a password as is currently the case?

I do not know if I was clear in my request but the goal would be to give access to protected pages to registered users. If a user visits a protected page without being authenticated, he would not have access to the page and a password would be required. If, however, he is identified from the panel, he could access the pages without a password being requested.

Thank you.

Thomas.
Modérateur du forum français Imagevue

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

27 Jan 2018, 10:15

I had to read through this request twice. At first, I was thinking this was not a logical request at all ... Panel logins and protected pages are very different, and use different authentication method. Furthermore, this means you would have to password-protect the ROOT page by default ... If X3 is to check logins vs panel-database, it would obviously require pages to be password protected. So after some thought, yes it is possible ... but it also sounds messy, not entirely logical, and it does not work like this by design.

Can't you just replicate the panel user login you created in the protected tab? It would take you less than a minute to create a NEW user in protected tab, and assign the same URL to protect as you have specified for the panel user.

Sorry, for now, this is not a feature of X3 and will not be implemented very soon. I will think about it for future release, thanks for requesting.