Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

temabu
Experienced
Topic Author

Feedback on X.23

11 Nov 2017, 07:43

This is possibly too late but I though I would provide some feedback on X23.0.
1. The requirement to NUMBER folders is a pain.  I dont number folders on my desktop the same way but I do number them as years.  However 2002, 2003, 2004 etc doesnt cut it with X23.0.  It should allow you to use any folder name - not DEMAND that you number them.  If you dont number them they are greyed out in the panel and dont appear on the galleries page.
2. The inability to auto-set an image as the preview image of the gallery from a subfolder.  I end up with a single image in a folder as I might have a folder strucutre which is:
--MY 2002 pics 1
--My 2002 pics 2
Now I want a preview image for the 2002 folder.  Currently the only way of doing this is to put a single image in the 2002 folder.  However, what is really required is a preview image from one of the sub-folders to be used as the preview image for 2002
3. The navigation.  Was the navigation team on holiday when you released this.  Why is there apparently NO way of moving back up a folder structure?  e.g. if I was viewing My 2002 Pics 2, the only way to get to 2002 folder again is to go to the Galleries root page and navigate down.  Please can we have an UP option to move back up a folder.

If I find more then I will post here.  I also hope its not too late to include these in x.24.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Feedback on X.23

11 Nov 2017, 11:34

temabu wrote:This is possibly too late but I though I would provide some feedback on X23.0.
1. The requirement to NUMBER folders is a pain.  I dont number folders on my desktop the same way but I do number them as years.  However 2002, 2003, 2004 etc doesnt cut it with X23.0.  It should allow you to use any folder name - not DEMAND that you number them.  If you dont number them they are greyed out in the panel and dont appear on the galleries page.
Interesting that you mention this, as this is addressed in pending release X3.24.0, where you can use ANY folder name without numbering it. Of course, without using numbered folders, X3 does not know how to SORT your folders ... and therefore, "CUSTOM SORTING" (by drag and drop) is also a native part of new X3.24.0. Furthermore, since non-numbered folders are now visible, we had to device a new way to HIDE folders, which is also a part of new X3.24.0 where you can show/hide pages by a simple toggle click.

X3.24.0 will still support "numbered" folders as a practical way of sorting folders without having to drag items into order for each new item you add.
temabu wrote:2. The inability to auto-set an image as the preview image of the gallery from a subfolder.  I end up with a single image in a folder as I might have a folder strucutre which is:
--MY 2002 pics 1
--My 2002 pics 2
Now I want a preview image for the 2002 folder.  Currently the only way of doing this is to put a single image in the 2002 folder.  However, what is really required is a preview image from one of the sub-folders to be used as the preview image for 2002
Did you try going to Panel > Tools > Previews? This tool will assign preview images by searching subfolders, or more precisely, the first image it can find in any subfolder. Optionally, you can assign a specific preview image from the page > Details section by pointing to an image in a sub directory.

The REASON X3 does not automatically assign preview image for a page (that has no images) from sub directories, is technical: If X3 loads a page without images, X3 would have to load ALL sub-directories, and then loop through all sub-directories just to find a preview image. This process is incredibly slow, and would have a very negative impact on page creation time. Therefore, for the benefit of fast page processing, we currently require using the Previews tool if you want to automatically assign preview images for categories from sub directories.

This is something that can perhaps be improved.
temabu wrote:3. The navigation.  Was the navigation team on holiday when you released this.  Why is there apparently NO way of moving back up a folder structure?  e.g. if I was viewing My 2002 Pics 2, the only way to get to 2002 folder again is to go to the Galleries root page and navigate down.  Please can we have an UP option to move back up a folder.
The two points above I agree 100% on, but this is more subjective. I might have been on holiday, but that doesn't I wasn't thinking straight. Getting "back" to the parent page requires something like "breadcrumbs" navigation ... Personally, I am not a fan of breadcrumbs, I don't use it and don't need it, and more navigation elements means more interface confusion. Visitors can of course always use the "back" button in browser, and it's not too difficult to use the menu to navigate to a sibling page or the parent page anyway ... Why navigate to parent page anyway, if the "next" page you are looking for is already available in menu?

Anyway, a few users have already requested "Breadcrumbs" navigation, so this is definitely on the radar as an option.
temabu wrote:If I find more then I will post here.  I also hope its not too late to include these in x.24.
Appreciate it!  :clap: :star:

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Feedback on X.23

18 Aug 2018, 04:05

temabu wrote:2. The inability to auto-set an image as the preview image of the gallery from a subfolder.  I end up with a single image in a folder as I might have a folder strucutre which is:
--MY 2002 pics 1
--My 2002 pics 2
This feature is now included in new X3.25.0.
www.photo.gallery/blog/photo-gallery-X3-25/ | forum